Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stealing a room

Posted by katy--b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 16:34

We have guests coming and needed one more bed and decided to make a temporary bedroom in our storage/ work room with a promise to my husband that he could have 'his' room back afterwards.
With finished walls and ceiling and large window already in place, it was a matter of disguising the workbench and make it making it inviting for a single guest.
I found a folding screen second hand, used a area rug from another room, stole a bench from the garage and covered it with a vinyl tablecloth,for luggage, added a clothes rack from the laundry room, and a cute stand from the porch.
Bought a twin air bed and folding frame, used double bed linen and comforter I already had. The wall lamp I had stored along wih the nightstand. Used a piece of scrap diamond plate for a valance.
After my guest leaves, everything can go back to its original home and folding screen and air bed will go to the closet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stealing a room

I think you're brilliant. I'd love to stay in your guest room!

o

It's perfect! And now you've got the air mattress and frame, so you can recreate the room any time you need it. Well done.

o

Very nice job!

o

Thanks for the nice compliments.
Tweaking the guest room today. My friend gave me a king memory foam mattress pad for the air bed and it makes the bed sooo comfy. We just cut it in half.
With the leftover memory foam, I cut it to size and tucked in behind a
artist canvas I had covered with fabric for a previous project, laid it on the matching panel ( to keep the foam in place) and used small nails to fasten the panels on on top of each other, added a frame and now we have a 'padded headboard'

This post was edited by katy--b on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 21:37

o

Don't make it too nice. They might want to stay.

o

Lovely job- and very thoughtful for your guest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here