Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenlef82

Critique of house plan

jenlef82
9 years ago

I am still trying to figure out the perfect plan for my new home. I feel that if I am going to build I want to get exactly what I want, but I have to be able to afford it. I have looked and looked for a house plan that matches what I want with no luck. So I drew one on a app on my Ipad. It is a very rough draft. I really wanted it a little bit smaller, but I do not want the rooms to small. I wanted a 4th bedroom, but I have decided that is something that is not in my budget at this time.The rough dimensions are below:

Heated Sq Feet
Master Bedroom 201 13.5 x 15
Master Bathroom 108 10.9 x 10
Master Closet 67 8 x 8.5
Master hallway 41 10.5 x 4
Laundry Room 58 6.10 x 8.5
Dog Room 40 8.2 x 4.11
Mudroom/Pantry 81 9.5 x 8. 2
Kitchen/Dining 251 14.9 x 17
Living 355 19 x 18.8
Entry hall 85 21.5 X 4
Bedroom #2 144 13 x 11
Clostet#2 19 3 x 6.3
Bathroom 57 6 x 9. 7
Bedroom #3 144 13 x 11
Closet #3 19 3 x 6.3
small closets 12
bedroom Hall 51 12.8 x 4
Entry Halls 16
Total 1749

Non-Heated Sq Feet
Garage 576 24 x 24
Garage storage 33 8.4 x 4
Backyard Storage 68 13.1 x 5.2
Total 677

Suggestions are very much appreciated.

Comments (5)

• camlan
    9 years ago

Some questions.

How many people will be living in the house? Ages?

Is there a basement/attic/second floor?

You have no home office or other quiet living space, just the living room and dining room. Will both bedrooms be used as bedrooms or will one be a home office/den/library/homework type of room?

Which side is the front of the house and which the back? Will there be a deck/porch/patio?

What hobbies/crafts/recreational activities do you and other family members do at home? Video games? Reading? Woodworking? Collections? TV watching?

You are missing a few interior doors. You need a way to get from the bedroom hall into the living room. The dining room/kitchen has no doors, so it is difficult to judge the traffic patterns there--you don't want people routed through the cooking area of the kitchen to get from one part of the house to another.

And if you could tell us a bit about why you planned the house to be this way, it would help us to be able to judge if the plan meets your needs.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Are you sure you want that design? It leaves all the 'corner window' rooms for the bedrooms and less light in the main living areas. I'd also want more space in the dining area...and can you show the access from the kitchen to the living room?

If you put bathrooms and closets between the master and other bedrooms, you can have them all on one side and allow your kitchen and dining room to have more light and views. Maybe (front to back, on left side) garage, mudroom, kitchen, dining, with foyer and living room in the middle and bedrooms on the right side? It's nice to have kitchen on the east and bedrooms on the west, so I'd take that into consideration, too. Many plans have this layout and they might give you some good ideas.

As for room sizes, if you're going to have fewer rooms, I would want them a little larger than average. And be sure you include more storage than you think you will ever need. You'll probably fill it up and wish you had more, even if you carefully pare things down on a regular basis. Hope this helps :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You might post on the building a home forum too...some good architects and others frequent there.

• ohiohomestead
    9 years ago

I'd open up the wall between the kitchen/dining room and living room, but I tend to like open floor plans.

• amts
    9 years ago

Other thoughts: I'd have LARGER door from garage to MudRoom. For all those "bulky" Costco runs.
    I like pocket doors, really useful in small homes.
    I'm sure your original design is missing patio doors in Living Room to the outside, windows, etc.
    I'm am not a big fan of long narrow hallways as one enters the home. (again, might think of larger, double front door and wider hallway for moving in and out and general "more open" feeling....

Lovely start thought...

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022