Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (5)

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

Ingenuity and creativity can be a real blessing~that's awesome! ;o)

• larke
    13 years ago

It's fantastic, but without the background he has and access to technology, never mind money, it's unlikely we'll be seeing a lot of those. And of course the 20 rooms are never actually available at one time, only half at most, because until you push the wall back (closing off the 'rooms' behind) you only have one room, the back of which (opposite wall to one just mentioned) hides another room that's only available if it's pushed into the original space.

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

Here is the talk about that apartment in this forum here.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/smallerhomes/msg0510315919381.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Linky

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I remember that one--I'm still amazed! I like planning spaces that can be converted--I have plan in the back of my mind for built-in twin bunks that can be converted to closets in a future guest room. Very low tech, but I think it will work for us.

• User
    13 years ago

MamaGoose, I think it is a Swedish style to have built in beds, sort of enclosed on three sides, and then the single long side is open with bed curtains to close for privacy and night time warmth.

And when we were touring the Chinese farm house at the Essex Museum up in Salem MA, I was totally enchanted with the house style around a central courtyard. Oh, I could write a BOOK about my observations of that house, and the life of the women who lived there. Yes, women. The men all went to work far away, including the boys when they turned 12 or thereabouts. They only came home occasionally thereafter, and this house was built as a fortress closed on the outside, no windows and only ONE heavy door which could be barred against the bandits. Grandma was head of the family. There was a courtyard in the middle, the center was like a Roman atrium, rain water came down gutters into bamboo "pipes" which fed to a sistern which was then used for washing clothing and cooking and bathing, and then there was some koi too in the second water spot. The style reminded me of the New Orleans courtyard homes, with exposed back balconies overlooking the garden area, and in each small personal room, the beds were carved wooden pieces with bed hangings. They had only windows turned into the atrium. They had armoires for storage. Some had wood heaters or little cast iron or tile stoves. I loved the whole design. If anyone has a chance to see it, they do not allow cameras inside. It was a home lived in by a Chinese family for about 200 years, and latest occupied during the Mao era, so it still had a picture of Mao on the wall of the main reception room. I've been to see it twice, and could easily go again. Maybe someone will write a book about it, pointing out all its special features.

The 1 apartment/20 rooms reminds me of what set designers do for theatre companies.

I find it fascinating to see and understand the details of the homes in other cultures. It tells us a lot about their daily lives, and what is important, and how they deal with the issues common to people everywhere.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling