Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dining / table area minimum

Posted by rilie (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 13:28

How small is too small for a dining / table area? We're gradually renovating the downstairs of our home (bulit around 1900, 1600 +/- SQ). For some reason, the previous owners put a bathroom in the best available spot for light & view. We're moving the bathroom, have that all figured out, and plan to open that area up and make it a combined kitchen & dining area, seperated by a half wall or counter. The table area will be where the bathroom is now, with lots of light and large windows. The kitchen will stay more or less where it is, but will sacrifice some size to the dining area (this is okay, it's a big kitchen). Right now our dining table is smack in the middle of the kitchen, which I do not like whatsoever.

So, I'm wondering, how much space should I allot for this dining nook? There are just the 2 of us, we do occassionally entertain but usually small groups no larger than 6-8. Our current table is round with one large leaf to extend to an oval shape. Extended, it seats 6 comfortably. I'm looking at 9x11, possibly a bit larger. Too small?

If you saw Johnmari's photos on the other thread about eat in kitchens, they are very similar to the look I am talking about.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dining / table area minimum

Try the space by placing at least 6 chairs out from the table (as they'd be when people are leaving) and see how much room there is, then add in (if necessary) a sideboard, or anything else you need, plus traffic space from the kitchen and other rooms. Either it works or it doesn't.

o

I have an oval table for 6 in a 8-8 X 11-4 room and it works nicely, after we are all seated. Moving people and dishes to and from can require a bit of choreography. When there are only the usual 3 or 4 of us, it works very well.

o

Hello Smaller home forum. Just found you. I am usually in kitchens or baths. Our 1800SF home built on Narragansett bay and raised on stilts, certainly qualifies as smaller. I Agree with Randi, I was able to have an eliptical table, double drop leaf that worked well for 6-8 in a 9x11 space. When not in use I left one or both of the leaves down and put chairs in the corners. Now I have a L shaped wall to wall banquette with another double drop leaf. I just move the table when needed. This space doubles as a music room.
Karen
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here