Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rilie_gw

Dining / table area minimum

rilie
16 years ago

How small is too small for a dining / table area? We're gradually renovating the downstairs of our home (bulit around 1900, 1600 +/- SQ). For some reason, the previous owners put a bathroom in the best available spot for light & view. We're moving the bathroom, have that all figured out, and plan to open that area up and make it a combined kitchen & dining area, seperated by a half wall or counter. The table area will be where the bathroom is now, with lots of light and large windows. The kitchen will stay more or less where it is, but will sacrifice some size to the dining area (this is okay, it's a big kitchen). Right now our dining table is smack in the middle of the kitchen, which I do not like whatsoever.

So, I'm wondering, how much space should I allot for this dining nook? There are just the 2 of us, we do occassionally entertain but usually small groups no larger than 6-8. Our current table is round with one large leaf to extend to an oval shape. Extended, it seats 6 comfortably. I'm looking at 9x11, possibly a bit larger. Too small?

If you saw Johnmari's photos on the other thread about eat in kitchens, they are very similar to the look I am talking about.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County