Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzieshome

Pantry storage ideas

lizzieshome
15 years ago

we are in the process of building an approx. 1500 square foot home. the pantry closet in the kitchen is approx. 3x3 so i need to make the effecient use of it I can. Can someone direct me to a site that shows pantry storage ideas/options? I have found plenty of closet storage ideas but can't seem to find any good pantry ones. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• emagineer
    15 years ago

Here are some links for pantry storage and photos of possible ideas for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics/links of Pantry Storage

• lizzieshome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you!!!

• kelpmermaid
    15 years ago

I don't know how yours is set up, but my I'd like to have slide out shelves in my pantry/closet. That way I could maximize space, but see what was in the back.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Recently I had a pantry remodel done and I really enjoy the new pantry!

My home is a brick bungalow built in 1910 and has a good sized pantry in the kitchen, however, with several very deep shelves that go to the 9ft. ceilings, the pantry was not really user friendly. Here is the before picture:

{{gwi:1493677}}

After the remodel, I have two deep shelves left up high for extra kitchen "stuff" and new smaller, narrow shelves in an L-configuration for pantry food storage. The wall on the left has no shelves, but has hooks for hanging the stir-fry pan, sieves, colanders, roasting pans, and aprons. The space is big enough that I can walk *into* the pantry and even turn around if I want!

The shelves were already covered with a white laminate and did not need painting. I did paint the old beadboard wall covering a clean white to brighten up the interior. It took 2 carpenters one day and $300 to re-do the pantry and a few other odd jobs around the house. Best money I have spent in a long time!

Here is the new pantry:

• lucy
    15 years ago

Terrific idea - you won't 'lose' anything at the back of shelves either.

• lizzieshome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you so much! I think that this is exactly what i will do to mine. would you mind if I print out a copy of your pic so that I can put it in my file for the builder? I also love the idea about the hooks.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Lizzie, I am pleased that you find my design helpful and it is fine to print out the pic.

My pantry is 46" across and 34.5" deep, just so you will know what size I'm working with.

Other points:

~ the new shelves are 8.5" wide, but that is because that is the largest size I could make down the right side from the door facing; with an L-shaped shelf arrangement, you probably want to put the shelves down the side with the most room from the door facing - my left side has only 4" of space from the corner to the door facing; I wish I had made the back shelves just a tad bit wider - maybe 10" but no wider than that

~ the lowest shelf is 25" from the floor so I can stack a couple of large stock pots on the floor beneath the shelf; there is also a wood crate on the floor that holds cookie sheets, baking pans, deep dish pizza pan, pizza screens, etc.

~ the hooks on the left side are staggered down the left wall and are placed no higher than I can reach (I'm 5'5" tall) and hold 2 sieves, a breadbasket, the stir fry pan, and a roasting pan; a large hook beside the left door facing (inside the pantry) holds 3-4 full-length aprons

~ I use baskets and colanders to hold onions, potatoes, and sweet potatoes as I don't buy a lot of these at one time and they must go in the pantry where it is dark

~ there is a plastic basket to hold dried beans and rice and another smaller basket to hold ranch mix, enchilada sauce mix, taco mix, etc.

~ wherever possible I use decorative tin cans with lids to hold pasta, cocoa, and tea; I also use large glass jars to hold oatmeal, barley, dried potato flakes (for bread) etc.

~the top shelves are the original 16" deep shelves and hold the Fry Daddy, the largest crock pot, 3(?) thermoses, box of canning jars, etc. - the cooking items that are used less frequently. [note: I worked for 10 years in a gourmet cooking store so I have lots and lots of stuff!]

Hope this helps!
    Teresa

• lizzieshome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you Teresa! This has been a huge help!! Have a wonderfully blessed day! Darlene

• Shades_of_idaho
    15 years ago

OH Teresa Very nice. We just got our manufactured home and it has about the same sized walk in pantry. About 4 foot by 4 foot, give or take an inch with angled door on front. There were three solid shelves and since I had lots of the wire shelves from our last house I made good use of them. I had to buy a couple more. I also bought three of those large single plastic drawers. One holds the 40 pound bag of dog food right to the brim. The other holds the chips and cereal and the third holds misc herbs spices ,stuff. I can stack two drawers under the lower shelf. I will get a picture later. Right now waiting on the guy to come put culverts in our driveway. Yippieeeee Finally!!! So sick of just dirt.

Chris

• alaskabunny
    14 years ago

For great pantry organization ideas, along with making good use of your space and before and after photos of my pantry, have a look at my page: http://www.organize-it-now.net/pantry/pantry-organization-ideas.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantry Organization Ideas

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz