Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears homes- for those interested- complete catalog/photos

Posted by angiepangie (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 11:00

I recall someone asking if mine was a sears home.

Curious about it!

Some of you asked what they were.

Well here ya go!

http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/bydate.htm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears homes- for those interested- complete catalog/photos

Angie,
I was the one asking if you knew. There were also the Aladans too. Similar time period and building concepts. I have a photo of a Sears home we lived in when 2 yrs old, but no memory of the interior details. It looked a lot like yours, but many of my parents friends had the huge ones with brick and fancy details which still hang on in my memory.

What is fascinating (to me) is being able to order various options...an outhouse or plumbing, sizes of garages, etc. I have the book the photos of your link came from. And a 1919 yearly catalog which is almost 2" thick. We could fill the house with needed living items and furniture from it. Not as old as the catalog, but definitely remember the delight when one showed up. I do remember going to a counter in Sears and ordering things when my kids were quite young.

Here is your link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Archives

o

Darn, spelled Aladdin wrong. Here is another link with before and afters from Sears lovers. So many have been restored and cared for. I love the hardware shown and doors. Doors seem to have the same options as we do now.

A good look at before and afters. The original photos
show shutters on some of the windows. Totally wrong install as so many talk about here and on the decorator's forum. Just putting up a shutter must have been the thing back then too.

Here is a link that might be useful: More

o

Here is a blog or website (couldn't tell at first glance) with pictures of Sears homes today.

Sears Modern Homes

I looked for any around me and didn't get a hit, but I wouldn't be surprised. That style house looks familiar.

o

Here is a blog or website (couldn't tell at first glance) with pictures of Sears homes today. There may be a popup. I got a popup message asking if I wanted to open a file and it wouldn't go away even I after clicked cancel. But then I get the same message on these forums, but I can click cancel for those.

Sears Modern Homes

I looked for any around me and didn't get a hit, but I wouldn't be surprised. That style house looks familiar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here