Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shower material question

Posted by elisabeth_pinelake (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 3:47

Hoping for a more suitable answer in this forum than on the bathroom forum, which seems to be frequented by people with gazillions of bathroom in their homes. The home I will soon be occupying with my husband is larger than many of yours, but I hope you might still help me.

We are renovating his garage so I can move in with him. We have to keep my cats separate from his allergies and his dog. This 600 s.f structure will have a large living area and a bathroom. The main house has one bedroom and one bathroom. So the bath in the now-garage, soon-to-be-studio will be my main bathroom.

I am putting in a barrier-free shower, and my question is about the material for the shower pan, I really don't want tile, because of my experience with grout, which is awful, The question is, what material should I look for in a shower pan which will stand up to my monthly need to dye my hair. without getting stained?

The answers I am getting on the bathroom forum are, use tile and epoxy grout (which I have already said I don't want to do), have my hair professionally colored, use another bathroom, install a utility sink for the purpose, or rinse in a stainless steel kitchen sink. I am laughing because this all seems to assume more space or money than I have. So I thought I'd come over here where at least people won't assume there are an infinite number of bathrooms available.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shower material question

Buy a dark shower pan. Assuming you are dying your hair a darker shade.

Rinse with the hose outside. UGH NOT

Do they make stainless shower pans? But then what are you going to do for the walls of the shower stall?

We have the fiberglass plastic like material in our bathrooms and I do not dye my hair so I really do not have a good answer for you. Hubby thought this fiberglass would probably stain with dye. I have nothing to test it for you or I would.

I do understand your frustration with expensive fixes. Even if you/we had the money some times we choose to spend it elsewhere. Welcome to the SH group. I hope some one will have a solution for you.

o

elisabeth- just posting here to be sure you see the TruStone suggestion. I think it might be just the thing for you... easy care, hard to stain etc. Can't hurt to get a sample. All the best on your project.

o

Thanks!

o

??? Kohler cast iron???

Here is a link that might be useful: kohler

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here