Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

a small small home update

msjay2u
11 years ago

I had to share my idea. I dreamt of this last night and I had to implement it! I have been renovating my kitchen and I started these between the studs shelves. I also had a screen door I took off because I needed a bigger door and the screen door wasn't big enough. It was too good to throw away and no one I know has a small doorway to give it to them so I kept it and I repurposed it:

Comments (19)

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put plates on the top shelves and on the bottom area I will put hooks for my dusters and dustpan

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog with photos

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

that's awesome - I love it! someone on kitchens used an old type screen door on her pantry and I loved that. she had an old type farm kitchen and it was like the icing on a cake.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

I like it too. Thumbs up!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I love it! It so fits your house, is compact and yet displays your dishes. Absolutely perfect.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

whaaaaat u mean this wasnt my idea? LOL i mussta seen it somewhere and it stuck in my head

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

it was a yr or so back over on kitchens. An old style farm kitchen. She had a big stove and hood on one side with a door to the right of it. The sink run was to the right of the door and running the other direction. Cabs were 2 toned - one was green. she had an island of sorts - think it was made out of something old. Then her pantry was off to the left of the stove. The screen used was more elaborate tho.

I think it was just her and her dh. no kids at home - maybe some but grown.

maybe 'oldhouse' was in her board name?

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

it was a yr or so back over on kitchens. An old style farm kitchen. She had a big stove and hood on one side with a door to the right of it. The sink run was to the right of the door and running the other direction. Cabs were 2 toned - one was green. she had an island of sorts - think it was made out of something old. Then her pantry was off to the left of the stove. The screen used was more elaborate tho.

I think it was just her and her dh. no kids at home - maybe some but grown.

maybe 'oldhouse' was in her board name? I searched but there are 40 pages of posts. nothing popped up as if the board name tho.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

oops. sorry about the dup post. I didn't think it posted the first time so I went to kitchens to search...

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

I have a screen door as a decoration too. I used to have mirrors in it and might do that again?? Made a great wall mirror. Right now I just have it as an accent in our master bath. This is not how it looks now but this picture shows the old screen door the best. I used to have it painted green too.I wish I could use it on my studio room but it just will not fit the door frame.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

msjay2u, that is so cute. I love that you re-used the door that had already given years of service!

I think you all are thinking of farmhousebound's pantry door:

• oneblueonebrown
    11 years ago

That looks awesome, what a clever idea. I love it!

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Love the double screen doors.

MSJ I found another picture of the screen door when it was green. I also was inspired by your door to try again to make it work in my studio doorway. If I can cut down an inch off each side it will fit. I really wish I had a table saw to use.

Can not wait to see more pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Screen door

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone...Mama_Goose thanks for posting those photos. I love that kitchen as well! Shades I like your idea also. I hope you don't mind but I went rambling through your photos,. I love your home. It sooo personal and the mosiacs are great. I can't wait till my house feels like my home. I have to stop being so lazy and get to it. LOL. I didn.t work on the house last night. I went to Lowes and got the anchors for my pot rack, and fell asleep answering an email. I am dog tired. I have school tonight so I won't get the to the house again till tomorrow. :-(

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Thanks MsJ, I do not think you have been lazy at all!!!! I think these projects which seem so simple in our heads tend to explode with the doing part of it in a hurry. I redid a kitchen the size of yours once. I tore out tile and old cabinets. Repaired walls. Ceiling was fine. Floor was ugly but I did not change it. I paid to have the cabinets and counter built and installed. I finished the cabinets and installed sink and faucet. No change to range or exhaust for it. All of this took me a month of almost constant working on it. I only worked 4 hours a day at my job. I was also much younger and stronger than I am now. This was over 30 years ago.Oh and I only had an L shape cabinet situation. AND there were no changes to what was there to begin with but newly built cabinets because the old ones were so awful and falling apart.

So as I see it................ Considering all you have had to do over and above what I had to do you have done very well. Your space is turning out darling. The rest of your house will fall into place. Remember we have been here four years now. I keep changing things around because that is my nature to do so. I like change. We used to just move from house to house. Now I just wear out the furniture and floors moving things around. LOL Many of our things are on wheels.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I don't think I have seen farmhousebound's pantry before. That is so cute!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

That looks GREAT love the colors :)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

that's it mamag!

here's the stove and sink area.

Here is a link that might be useful: stove and sink

• young-gardener
    11 years ago

How adorable! I love it!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

farmhousebound posted the sink and stove walls of her kitchen over on kitchens - or maybe it was a resurrected thread. Just saw it yesterday.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor