Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Glass House Thread--found it

User
13 years ago

I was over on Greenhouses Forum, and a guy crossposted about the Glass HOUSE he was building. Actually a nice tiny garden structure with a tin roof.

I wanted to bring it to your attention, especially Jay and Scott. This is his second one.

I put the link below. The link to his photo album is within his thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rafor's Glass House

Comments (7)

• rafor
    13 years ago

Thanks for x-posting here. And actually I'm a gal who is building this with help from a friend! There doesn't seem to be much traffic on the greenhouse forum at the moment. The house is 12 X 16 with an 18 foot peaked roof. Should have seen my friend trying to install the beam at the peak of the roof!!! It was a little hairy since the ladder we had was just barely tall enough for him to then reach up to place the beam in the notched uprights. Waiting for it to cool down so I can start priming and painting.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rafor, did not want to presume that you were female, though many on this forum are. We do have several males who contribute ideas and methods and we are pleased to have their input. When I viewed your album, one photo had a couple of folks in it, but without my glasses I could not tell much....just looked young and able to me.

That 18 foot roof peak makes me feal peaked thinking about it. Mercy! Talk about a pitch!.

The window house that an old man built here was very interesting. Mr. Corlett owned The Door Store, but he died a year or so ago. He had lots of used doors, and folks also gave him old windows. He sold the doors, and I think made walls of his storage buildings out of the windows. I was fascinated by his place. I also bought every shutter he had, fixed louvers or not, and I enjoyed visiting with him and meandering through his dusty store.

I think a lot of folks over here, meaning the Smaller Homes Forum, will be glad to have you among us. Welcome, and come back often. We really will enjoy seeing what happens with your glass house.

• columbiasc
    13 years ago

So is this going to be a greenhouse or some other structure? I didn't see ventalation other than the moving window panes so I had to presume that you are either in a more temperate climate or were using it for something other than a greenhouse. Either way, it's very lovely and will add loads of character to your property. That is one awesome pitch on the roof. Jeepers! If it's higher than I can reach on a 6 foot stepladder, then it's too high for me. I really don't like heights.

Scott

• rafor
    13 years ago

I just posted some new photos of our progress this weekend. Gable end sided and the other end sheathed but not without incidents. Like a fall off the ladder and damage to egos and ladders and shins and elbows!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some more photos available from this lady's Photo buckets account, where she has albums about building a sort of greenhouse out of windows. At least it looks that way to me.

If you are interested take a look at Rafor's photos. I give the link below to the album that I viewed. There is another album too, but you can find it on her main album page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows for greenhouse, home built.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH I LOVE this!!! Years ago I did the same for my birds aviary. Nothing on the top. Removable glass windows around the sides. Was perfect for them. Protected them from the winds but they were able to enjoy the rains. I did put roofs on a couple of the aviary's most were open. Very nice job rafor.

Slightly off topic but involves doors. The store where I took all my purged goodies yesterday had clothes racks made of doors and metal pipe and hardware. Wish I had my camera with me as it was a wonderful re-use of old doors. Would be so nice for a simple structure in the back yard.

Try to picture door on each end with pipe and those screw on pipe holders. then a door across the bottom. Her's were flat but I think I would do one with bottom door on edge centered. for a clothes holder but for yard I would do bottom door on outer edge. I can think of all kinds of possibilities and might just do a structure like this some day.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Below is the link to the new photos in her photobucket album about this house. You can see it really coming together.

I have visions of what I'd do with the fantasy spot, but I'm curious about what Rafor will do now that it is almost ready to go.

Hey, I'd love to see this house featured in Better Homes and Gardens, wouldn't you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass House Album--Rafor

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor