Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alishaandsam

small doors and big couchs...can they mix?

alishaandsam
12 years ago

My house doors are circa 1916 and were built before there were standard door sizes so all the doors in my house are 34" wide or less. :/

The problem with that is I have fallen in love with an Amish couch we saw at an outlet store b/c is is a nice, soft fabric, tons of cushions, and it's handmade with real wood. What more could you ask for than a couch that's built for comfort and stability?

Downside: it's no less than 40"x46"x40". I can see no feasible way to get this beast of a sectional into our house. I think maybe if I played some tetris with it and pushed hard enough I might could squeeze it through but it's awfully risky to spend big money on something that may end up decorating my porch if I can't get it through the doors.

Any suggestions? Any tricks y'all might have that could help me get it through? other than greasing it down with lard and givin' it a good ole heave hoe? (just kidding)

Thanks! :)

Comments (15)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

If you took the doors off the hinges, how big are the openings? What if you took off the door frame? That's an extreme measure but it's not difficult unless your trim is gorgeous and then I wouldn't mess with it. Any windows big enough? Have you been planning a French door addition?

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

With a regular sofa, if you stand it on end, and kind of rotate it through the doorway, they will usually go, depending upon the configuration of the sofa and the doorway. Our doorways are 30", and we've gotten sleeper sofas in the rooms- with a lot of sweat and un-church-like language LOL! This doesn't work if the sofa is longer than the doorway is high.

Alternately- see how big the sofa is if tilted forward about 45 degrees. It should be smaller that the width when it is flat on the floor.

• User
    12 years ago

You might post a picture of it for us?
    Does it have LEGS which come off?
    And, like FLGARGOYLE mentions, measure from the narrowest point. Like any arms that connect to the back of the sofa.
    Stand it up on end, with a bath mat beneath it. (Turn the sliding side down and the rubber back up to face the sofa, so it can slide on the floor but keep the sofa securely upon the rubber side.) And then try to swivel or rotate the sofa front to back around a central pivot point. I've moved a lot of furniture that could be squeezed in any other way.

Also, are you trying to move into a rental house? Or are you in your own home?

Also, is this put together with screws? Or is it dovetailed together, something that does not want to be tampered with?
    My thought is to take it apart if that is at all possible.

Otherwise, order it in kit form and put it together yourself in place. I just disassembled a queen sized platform bed with drawers in one bedroom, and moved it to another bedroom. It required wiggling around the doors, but it worked with out harm to the bed or the house.

• alishaandsam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the suggestions guys! I appreciate it.
    @moccassinlanding: yes the legs do come off, but unfortunately I don't have pics. I think that you're ideas will do the trick and help get the sectional in the house. If I have to I will disassemble it and reassemble it once inside because it is an absolutely awesome couch. :)

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

still wanna see a pic of it!

• grainlady_ks
    12 years ago

Friends took out their picture window to get furniture into their house.

We once purchased furniture we couldn't get into the house even after we removed the door, legs off the furniture and everything possible, so the delivery guys had to take it back to the store. It's amazing how much larger furniture has gotten in the last 20-years.... I finally bought a small sofa and matching wing-back chair - 1920's era - at an antique store and had it recovered (it was originally upholstered with mohair, which you can't afford these days, but it obviously worn like cast iron). It almost looks like doll furniture compared to the stuff available today.

-Grainlady

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Our exterior doors are 32", except for a set of French doors we added a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the doors between that room and the rest of the house are 32", so it's a good thing our hulking Chesterfield (upholstered, not leather) is only about 25" high. It's 100" long--there would be no upending that baby, to fit it through an 80" tall doorway.

alishaandsam, I hope you can fit your dream couch into your home, but at the worst, it will be much more comfortable than a porch swing. ;)

grainlady, I sympathize. I've always coveted a leather Chesterfield, but every time I click on a craigslist ad, the 'leather sofa' is one of those huge wrinkly things that look as if someone shot an elephant and left it in the living room.

*No offense meant to anyone who has a dead elephant in the living room.*

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

LOL @ Mamagoose.

• User
    12 years ago

Ohhh, Mama, you describe it perfectly. I am very happy to chortle when you give your humorous and kind remarks, quite your trademark I might add.

I suppose we are lucky that our exterior doors are all 36 inch doors. Even the bedroom doors are 32 inch. I am always trying to keep every inch of space--sideways or up/down--so I can move bird cages or furniture room to room. DH has no appreciation of that activity, but I like to look at life from a different point of view occasionally. One could never say that I am "set in my ways."

And the most wonderful couch I ever had was 100 inches long, and with the 6" legs removed, it was 35 inches high. So it made it in the house fine. It was my very first luxury purchase and it was a Drexel Heritage tuxedo sofa. That is I think what they call those squared off backs and arms, and a single long loose seat cushion and long down filled back cushions? It had a skirt to hide the legs. And it was white. I could wash the covers, and I also used the Home Depot painter drop cloths to cover the back and arms to keep pet hairs off it. Or bird poops. I'd just had it recovered when Hurrican Katrina destroyed it. But oh my it was and remains my all-time dream sofa. I wish they still made it.

• alishaandsam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok y'all, here's a link to the bohemoth:

http://www.amishoakandcherry.com/showroomgallery.php

it's the 34th slide and it is massive! Just the chaise, armless seat and left-facing chair is like 132". But the good news is the sofa they offer is just as deep (46") and only 38" high. Still need to contact them about whether or not the feet detach, but I'm hoping they do. If so it should make getting the almost 8' x 4' sofa into my modest livingroom a real possibility.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

WOW that is a Beauty. Would not fit in or house living room but it sure is pretty. Hope you can get it through your door.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

It is beautiful. I see why you want it. How many pieces are in the sectional?

• User
    12 years ago

I did not realize that you were talking about sectional furniture. The whole thing you said was slide #34 is a sectional. If it is anything built like the one we have, it will unscrew those squarish bun feet and give you a couple of more inches. I was thinking a lot of WOOD showing, and this is only UPHOLSTERY showing, except for those feet. Maybe they changed out their slides? Would you take a look and verify that the sofa is what you were discussing?

This particular section is about what we have now up north, second hand from DH's daughter. The room we have it in is 34 feet long, so there is no problem. I was wanting him to toss out the square corner of the seating, and just slide the second chaise lounge in its place, but DH tossed the left-armed chaise instead. (grumble grumble why are men so obtuse at times?) And the fabric on ours is almost exactly like what is shown in your picture too. Other than requiring TWO people to pick things up, I think you might be able to just ROLL this thing in the door. I always use a rubber backed bath mat facing the rubber UP beneath the furniture item, and then the soft fuzzy part will slide on both carpeting and hardwood and tile.

• alishaandsam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@marti8a: there's a total of 6 sections in the picture I posted, but I can have a max of 4 sections in my house. We've decided to turn the current living room into our dining room since it's adjacent to the kitchen, and have the back room which was the "tea room" as our living room. This room is slightly larger and the door frames are open, giving me exactly 38" to work with. So, with a little hope, prayer and some Pam no-stick spray I think I can get this lovely beast in my new living room. Yay! :D
    @moccassinlanding: yes, this is the couch; we didn't want a lot of wood/leather on our couch, but we were considering the amish store for the beautiful handmade beds when we stumbled on the lovely couch. It's not really something you would think of when someone says Amish built, but it was in their showroom and when I sat down on it I knew that I just HAD to have this sofa. We have hit another snag in our renovations, so my living room remodel has been put on the back burner due to water damage from a leaky roof after a bad hail storm out this way so we have clean up work to do before we can move forward with the beautification of the inside. Sigh. Always something isn't it? Oh well. I will have it one day soon and I will be purring as loudly as my Maine Coon while I relax, enjoying all the fluffy comforts the bohemoth has to offer. :D

• User
    12 years ago

OUCH!!! Alisha, it is definitely always something.
    But I'm pleased you have with some creative thinking figured that the couch will fit in a DIFFERENT room, and you have solved that problem. Nice thinking there.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living