Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

I can now officially join you~

phoggie
11 years ago

Hi friends~

It has been quite awhile since I have posted here, but stop by once in awhile to catch up with you.

I don't know where I left off in my life's saga...but my DH passed away NYE...sold my big 4090 SF house...and moved back "home" to where I used to live.

I had a wonderful friend who offered me a place to stay until I found something or built....well, that house was never found so today my wonderful Amish contractor, who I have put my faith and trust in to be honest and guide me, staked out my house on my pretty little lake lot, and I will build my 1638 SF house.....quite a down-size, but I am so ready for it.

If you want, you may check out my lot that I am building on in the building forum...My DH loved that lot and I hope he approves from above.

Comments (28)

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Phoggie- Please post your lovely picture of the water and willows! Also, can we see your plan...or Summerfield's plan for you? I believe your final plan is close to that one.

So glad to see you back on this forum! So exciting to think you'll be in your new home soon...maybe even by Christmas or New Year's Eve :)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I'm so happy it is coming together for you! Amish are usually great builders. we had some build our house addition back in IN. the addition was bigger than the original part. they did awesome work!

yes, do post pics here! and a layout/plans. This is so exciting. and you'll have a lake view!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

This will be the perfect size house for you. It's exciting to be able to build a house that will make sense for you and your personal priorities.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Phoggie that is wonderful news. Please do post a link here to your building forum post. I get lost trying to find my way around when I leave here. Your new place sounds delightful.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

Hi, phoggie, I took a look at your picture--oh, it is beautiful. I recall reading under the weeping willow tree in my grandparents' yard. Hope you don't mind if I add the link for everyone:

Here is a link that might be useful: phoggie's thread

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

OH MY that is Gorgeous!!!!

Thanks Mama_Goose for the link.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

wow - what a view that is phoggie! that will be so peaceful to look out on.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Congratulations phoggie! Your lot is gorgeous! I thought all the good ones were gone by now but you got a beauty. I can't wait to see your constructions pictures.

• shelayne
    11 years ago

Oh, Phoggie, that is so beautiful and so tranquil. I cannot wait to see your house--it is going to be beautiful!

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh mama goose....THANKS for posting my pic of my lot on this site.....I have to admit that I am so computer challenged that I do not know how to do it. I had a friend put on the original pic....

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful comments. This is the lot my DH and I bought together over 4 years ago... I am so sad that he is no longer here to sit on the back deck and look at the lake with me, but I have to hope that he would want me to go ahead and build on our "dream lot" because on one of his last trips here, he said, "This is home...this is where we need to be".

Yes, I am building the last plan that Summerfield did...and if anyone knows how to post it here, please feel to do so. Hugs to you all :-)

• krayers
    11 years ago

Phoggie I'm so sorry to learn of the loss of your DH. How wonderful it will be to have your new home on the "dream lot" you picked together. I know you will feel very close to him there.

I'm excited for you with the beginnings of your new home! I'm in love with your building site. What a wonderful view.

I find myself longing for a smaller & simpler home.

Best of luck with the new house. Hope to see many progress reports.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

where do you have your plans online? photobucket? flickr?

maybe we can step you thru it. we're gonna want you to know how to do that so you can post pics as you go along. We wanna go thru it with you!

I'm sure your dh would be so happy for you to be building a home there as you planned to do together. I'm also glad you got the big house sold.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

desert~
    On the building forum, you can search..."Calling Summerfield again".....and she drew me a plan....but go on down to the "flip" plan that mjlb reversed for me. I am doing a couple of changes, but nothing major...taking out the wall between the pantry and utility room and making that one room...brought the kitchen wall out to be even with the wall of the living room...made the master bedroom larger (which also enlarged the garage a bit)..... but I tried to copy it on here, but the pics didn't copy. If you want to try, you are more than welcome to do so...thanks.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

here it is! this is the reverse -

the outside view -

Here is a link that might be useful: link to the original thread w/ layout

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Phoggie --so sorry for your terrible loss. I often wonder if I would(be able to) carry out "our" plans w/o my spouse around.And as krayers stated you will feel close to him there(he has never left your side).

Your site is beautiful and the weeping willow gorgeous. I am sending good thoughts your way for a successful build full of all the things to make your home happy for many many years to come. Just don't forget to hang the horseshoe upside down at the entryway though !(so the luck can't run out).

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks desertsteph.....I knew some of you savy posters could come up with this plan.

Eatrealfood, thanks for your kind thoughts....and I have never heard the "horseshow hanging" idea. :-)

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Phoggie- I found this version on my computer. I believe it's the one Summerfield made with your changes.
    {{gwi:1444252}}From Cottage house plans

And here's the willow trees and pond, too :) {{!gwi}}From Cottage house plans

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

that does look like it has her changes - and the wording is now flipped also. you can read it!

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lavenderlass~~ You always come up with pics that amaze me..and you have it right....this is the plan (with just a couple of minor changes) and also the lot. THANK YOU so much! The city is putting in the culvert today...so the digging should start next week!

Phoggie

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went by the lot today and the tin whistle is in the ditch and there was a big backhoe there, so hopefully, they will start digging Monday!

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The digging of the crawl space is done and cement for the footing was poured today. It is exciting to see how the house will sit on my lot and I go there every evening to watch the progress. WOOHOO! I just wish DH could be here to enjoy it with me, but feel he is in spirit.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

This is Exciting Phoggie. Take lots of pictures. I have referred back to my pictures many times.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shades, I go to the lot every evening to take a picture of the progress for the day. The footings and foundation have been poured.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

That's wonderful news! It's going to be so nice to have a lovely house that's just your size...what a perfect Christmas present :)

Be sure to post pictures of your footings!

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Phoggie this is so exciting to know you are having progress going on. I saw on another post about you having to make decisions. I am sure you will do a wonderful job of it.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

yeah, if you don't start posting pics of your place being built, I'll have to start posting pics of my door weatherstripping... that'd be like watching paint dry!

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shades, I hate to admit how computer challenged I am when it comes to posting pictures so I will try to get someone to do them to do it for me, but forms are not too exciting to anyone but me.

• wantoretire_did
    11 years ago

Phoggie - Download your pictures onto your hard drive. Just below "Post a Follow-up" at the bottom of each page, there is a line

Image file to upload (optional): then "Choose File" outlined by an oval.

Click on that and it will bring up your photos, then double click on a photo and it will insert it into your post. It will show up in Review. If you go back to make changes, it will disappear and you will have to "choose file" again. HTH.

I think at this point only one photo is allowed in each post.