Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re: you've reached perfection when there's nothing left to remove

Posted by spunbondwarrior (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 21:26

" A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. "

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The original writing was in French:
" Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien retrancher. "

Another English translation is:

...perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...

Somewhere I read that if the quote began with "It seems that", it would be a literal translation from French. I have no idea if that is true as French is an absolutely beautiful language to listen to, but that I know basically, nothing of.
Well, I know they speak it in France, and Quebec, much of Africa, and then there is Haiti, where they speak a form of French that those of us growing up in far far south Florida in the 1950's and 60's used to call "Oombly Woombly"....

Well, since I am neither "here" nor supposed to be anywhere else online this week, I gotta go.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re: you've reached perfection when there's nothing left to re

The second translation is more correct, and if my fuzzy memory serves, it does begin, "It seems that".

A much more elegant way of saying what engineers say: "Take it out and test it. If it breaks, figure out what was too weak. If it doesn't break, figure out what was too strong."

I think if more home designers and architects would take that philosophy to heart, we'd have much more sensible designs without all of the meaningless dormers and other excrescences that today's homes feature.

o
RE: Re: you've reached perfection when there's nothing left to re

Designing a room is like accessorizing a little black dress. When you think you've finally done it, remove one more thing and then walk out the door :)

Yes, I'm paraphrasing Coco Chanel, who was said to have advised the following when dressing with accessories: “Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.”

I like this idea though...because it encourages everyone to edit their rooms, but not lose their unique style!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here