Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dearth of small homes

Posted by mmegaera (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 20:39

I envy you all your small houses. I finally wound up with a condo because around here, it's the land value that drives up the price of the house, not the house itself, so it's much more profitable for developers to build big houses on tiny lots, rather than the other way around.

What do people do when they'd rather have new construction (not build it yourself -- the point of new construction is to not have to deal with the difficulties of building and/or remodeling [g]) and a small house in areas where land is so expensive?

(as in, lots are as small as .10 acre, and going for $75,000 or more...)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dearth of small homes

mmegaera, building a custom home doesn't have to be fraught with difficulties. We have done it 3 times - twice for ourselves and once overseeing MIL's. The main thing is to do your homework, as in get plenty of references and see the GC's work before hand. And be willing to be the squeaky wheel when needed. GCs can get busy with other jobs so you sometimes have to pick up the phone and make a little noise. ; )

We would build again in a heart beat. It's a wonderfully satisfying feeling to know your home is unique to you (I designed ours). And if you can do some of the work you can save some money, too.

Diana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here