Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace dining light & pantry door

Posted by wiquilter (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 20:00

Hi! I need to replace my dining area light. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's a small room/table exposed to the living room. Check out the pantry door also. I want to replace it with a white screen door with some scroll work. It would help the air flow in the pantry. It stinks now. Not like rotten food or anything. Just an odd smell. My hubby is afraid the weird smell will spread into the kitchen. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks,
Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace dining light & pantry door

How small is small? We have this chandelier and love it, but it might be a bit big. Works wonderful if you put in a dimmer switch. We found it at Menards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandelier Pic

o

Not too much of an idea here for your pantry door but wanted to ask if you have checked every nook and cranny for a small potato. I know it sounds funny but my neighbor was going crazy with this and we checked and checked and couldn't find a thing. Well it only got worse and sure enough one of her little ones found a tiny spud all the way in the back. Yuck,yuck! Anyhoo why don't you spray paint the metal parts of your chandelier? It seems to fit your space real well. Btw love your house looks real pretty.

o

I also have "odd smell" in my pantry. Basically, it's just "old house smell". See if you can find one of those hanging lava rock thinkamagiggies and hang it in there. They are supposed to absorb moisture and odor and see if that works.

Here's a link to a chandelier I found. It's a very small one, not too formal and it has the fake candle lights. It would be so cute with the flicker bulbs in it. I thought something like this would suit your decorating style and also match your bakers rack.
http://www.directlyhome.com/lighting/chandeliers/chandelier-1613dbk.html

o

You might consider a ceiling fan if you need the cooling & have the clearance (and that's your cup of tea).

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

This chandelier has a leaf motif. I've to the matching floor lamp etc., nice fixtures.
Leaf Motif Chandelier

o
Could match your other lighting too....

To make the space uniform, you could change your pendant light in the entry to match the chandelier. Something like this (if you got the one with the leaf motif)...

Pendant 1
Or This
Or This--I have this light in my kitchen

This one would also work over your table:
Pendant 2

Wall sconces might be nice over your sofa?
Wall sconce

They also make matching lamps, I have the floor lamp, and these are all reasonably priced imo.
Floor Lamp

Well....you get the idea. I'd extend whatever style you choose for the dining area to the front pendant at the entry and make the style of the entire space the same, no matter what you choose to do.

o

pianolady, I have to chuckle.....I just spent a good part of today searching online for a chandelier, and then I get on this thread and there they are! I must have checked dozens of stores and somehow missed Lowe's! Thanks for the post. Now I know where to go!

o

We have a screen door leading into our pantry. It also has the old fashioned scrollwork. Everyone loves it. It does need one of the air cylinder gizmos though so it closes quieter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here