Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southernheart_gw

'Repurposing' a breakfast area?

southernheart
17 years ago

I posted this on the Home Dec forum, too...I know that I will also get some valuable feedback here! :)

I have a long, fairly narrow kitchen with a breakfast area at one end. We really don't use the breakfast table and chairs...it is too cramped and almost uncomfortable. It is mainly a "drop-off" for stuff right now.

I would love to put it to another use, but am not sure what I would really enjoy more. We use our dining room for eating meals, etc, and don't really need an additional area. I have considered a small, high island with wrought iron bar chairs that I bought at Pottery Barn Outlet awhile back (they could be used on the patio with a high table instead); I could use the island for baking tasks, etc. Or, I could use a small loveseat and chair for my own little sitting area (it has a great picture window).

Any personal experiences, pictures, or ideas?

Thanks! Andrea

Comments (12)

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Andrea, I'd ask what you NEED most. What do you really, really need. Reading space, an office space, a homework area for kids, room for diplay or storage etc.
    I'm thinking that say you have an office but you need a mud room. You could move the office to the kitchen, and put the mud room in the office...something like that. Keep that sort of option open...

GGG

• Pamela Church
    17 years ago

Whenever we have parties or gatherings, everyone tends to gather in the kitchen. If this is true for you, then a seating area which you could enjoy everyday and your guests could relax in while they (and you) chat, would be great. If the light is sufficient, accent with lush plants and bring the outdoors in.

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Andrea, I think that is a really nice idea. If you entertain, it could also be an area for guests to sit and enjoy a drink and talk to you while you do last minute food prep.

GGG

• Pamela Church
    17 years ago

And any excuse to shop, especially in antique stores, is great, lol!

• angelcub
    17 years ago

I think a sitting area would be sooo nice. I used to have a wing back chair in a corner of my kitchen which was very popular when we had guests. I kept a basket of decorating and gardening magazines next to it and a small table on the other side. Someone always left with a new idea or two for their own home. It was also a great place to sit and relax while waiting for water to boil or something to finish up in the oven. I am seriously considering putting another chair there, but I'm waiting until we put the new slider in and remodel the kitchen. I miss that sweet spot! : )

You could really personalize your "spot." Do it up in the colors and fabrics that make you feel the most comfortable. And a large picture window - lucky you - does it look out to a pretty view? If not, now's the time to create one. You know us "cottagers" will enable you into some lushish bloomers. : )

Diana

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Diana, speaking of gardeners I had been wondering if Southernheart gardened and if there was a window by that area. How beautiful to have a seating area looking out over a fantastic slice of garden.

P.S. that Pottery Barn outlet rocks. I've been dying to get up there again and pick through the store. I bought loads of their Merrimkko stuff a few years ago for a song.

GGG

• southernheart
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually, I do love to garden, but work hours the past few years have cut back on my gardening time, so it isn't quite as lush as it once was. This picture window overlooks the nicest part of my yard, with a little pathway, bird houses, and "interest", and there are lots of squirrels and birds (which my cat enjoys watching, too!).

you all are after my own heart! :) Antique, fabric, and outlet shopping! (GGG, that outlet is great...and a bane to my budget!)

• bluesbarby
    17 years ago

Ok. When we bought our house it had a long room starting with a family room then kitchen then kitchen nook. There was no formal eating area in the house and the nook is too small for my big family dinners so we turned the family room into a formal DR. But that meant there were 2 tables on opposite ends of this room and my DH didn't like it. The kitchen nook has a bay window. So we built a window seat in the bay with thick cushions and pillows. I recovered 2 three quarter wing back chairs and slightly lowered my kitchen table. The effect is like a lounge area in a bar. Very comfortable and my DH loves it. We have a tv on the wall so he likes to sit in there all the time to watch sports. He has a comfortable chair, a great view out the bay window and food and drink at his fingertips. And it's a great place for people to sit while I'm fixing dinner.

• southernheart
    Original Author
    17 years ago

bluesbarby, that sounds like a great solution, and that you thought through your space well! I would love to see your chairs...they sound so pretty!

I wish I could put in a window seat..I love them. My window is flat, and the pantry opens right to the side of that space, so a window seat would block use of the pantry. Maybe in my dream addition.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this!

• bluesbarby
    17 years ago

southernheart: This is the only pic I have. Place is a bit messy but it gets constant use from am to pm. We actually have an ocean view but this was taken on a foggy am.

• hibiscus53
    17 years ago

Bluesbarby your space is gorgeous. What a creative way to make your room work for you. Reminds me of the hgtv house that was recently given away, it had a sitting area off the kitchen. My dd just did her lr with four upholstered sitting chairs as she has a froom and felt this works better for her family.A great quite space for reading or visiting and more of an adult space off her formal dr.