DR after:

LR b4 me:

LR after:

Guest BR before me:

Guest BR after:

Comments (14)

• jakkom
    14 years ago

You did a great job! A very nice transformation into a more modern design. Very clean and refreshing.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Enjoyed the befores and afters. Very nice renovation.

• buddyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I am going for a more stream lined look although it's still unfinished. It will be more homey when it's all done. Area rugs will warm up the rooms I think. And there's still missing furniture but overall it's more uniform from room to room with less clutter. Still a much loved work in progress.

• readerlearner
    14 years ago

Very nice, you have been busy. The guest bedroom looks so much better, less closed in, with the ceiling painted the same color as the walls. I also like the paint selections you made, very bright and airy.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

yes, very nice 'clean up' of it! looks nicely streamlined but still homey and comfy!

your kitchen set up is like mine is / will be. you moved your stove to the left a bit - I might end up doing that myself.
    how wide are the drawer boxes (and drawer fronts) to the right of your stove?

they don't look humongous like so many do - I don't have much room there either, so wondering the width. looks big enough for a set of silverware in a drawer. I don't need really big ones either. i bet I'll do ok with something close to what you have there.

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

Congratulations! You've done a great job. I love your new house its clutter free.

• emagineer
    14 years ago

It is so much fun watching what people do in their little homes. Mine is 1100 too. You have done a great job. Do I see a sun room on the left of the living room?

This is a bit off subject, but my kitchen has the same layout. Other than my window is double, so you probably have an additional cupboard on each side. Mine is remodeled with identical cupboard arrangement.

I have two problems with my kitchen. One is I hate the corner units, bottom one turns. Never seem to find what is in them and haven't figured out the best arrangement or what should be stored there. Actually this has been a pain to me in other houses with bigger kitchens. I'd rather have normal cupboards there and drawers below.

The second is when my kids (adult) are visiting. They always want to be in the kitchen helping, a great thing. But we end up with 3 people in the corner between the sink and stove. I've tried to change this....moving whatever they are doing to other side of sink or stove. There isn't anything on the other counters and plenty of room on them.

Sometimes I just give up and let them do their thing and figure we just like being together. But this corner is bugging me and becomes the landing place for anything being done.

Lucky you having a dining room. This really wasn't an issue when buying, our family visits are usually 2 or 3. Company is barbeques outside. Still miss the dining room though and have a drop leaf table in the kitchen. Anyone else without a dining room? When using the stove, the area becomes quite warm.

Maybe I am still learning to live small. But have no need for anything bigger and as with you, really fun to decorate and create comfort within.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Very nice! You have imprinted your style in this lovely bungalow home and made it your own. It's easy to see from your pics that streamlined, decluttered, and simplified is the way to go in a small home.
    Teresa

• cynandjon
    14 years ago

they look very calm and inviting. Nice job

• buddyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

desertsteph: Left of stove top drawer is 23 inches wide. I use top drawer as my every day tool box: hammer, tape measuer, pliers etc. and bottom is large enough for blenders, and other tall items. To the right of the stove: 14 1/2 in. wide. I keep silverware in top drawer in one of those Bed Bath Beyond silverware dividers. And the other drawers underneath have things like cooking spatulas, large knives, spoons, and other things. The stove got moved a couple inches to fit the lazy susan cabinet which I love because now there's no dead space in either the top or bottom corner.

emagineer: The front of the house was closed off and made into a sunroom by prior owners. It's not winterized but I love it in warm weather. I have a futon sofa there and use it as a 3rd bedroom when I have company. Kids love sleeping on the porch and SO DO I! And my kitchen has a wall and window that I'll eventually put a tiny table and 2 chairs for people to hang out at.

thanks for all the nice things said by everyone.

Here's my master bedroom (which is TINY with only 7' 2" high ceiling. I painted both bedroom walls and ceilings Van alen green to make the rooms blend together. I'm not posting the "before" because it was a horror with sloppy shiny bright yellow paint with drip marks and lumps everywhere. UGLY. Oh, does anyone else hate seeing electric cords showing? :-)

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

thanks so much for the info on the drawers by your stove.
    I've copied it out w/pics for my idea folder.

do you really like the LS corner? I'm not sure I'm going to use mine - thinking of leaving it dead space...

I hadn't thought of doing the upper w/ a hinge like that - but I probably still couldn't reach the back corner - I'm short. I can hardly reach the corner on the counter top!

your house has turned out just lovely - must be such a pleasure each day going from room to room.

• shorebird58
    14 years ago

Where did you get the quilt on your day bed??

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Your house is lovely. I really like the way you have redone it - simplified, refreshing colors, and so tasteful.

You and a few others here have inspired me to start a blog for our remodel. Maybe I can show such lovely pictures on it some day.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Lovely Lovely redo. You are an inspiration to me to get rid of so many slip covers and do something more stream lined.

About the cords. I have been known to paint them she same color as the walls and then they do not show up quite as much. You can always re-wire if you change rooms or repaint.

And speaking of painting. So it is better to paint the ceilings the same color as the walls? I have always painted ceilings white but am stumped on this house or where to start and stop since it is such an open floor plan.

PS Little pup is darling.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals