Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vdorosy

Front Landscape Ideas need help!

vdorosy
11 years ago

2000 sq foot home in Los Angeles. Average 75 - 90 most of the year but also has its few freezing nights, very little rain. Front teardrop is about 2.5 feet wide at the max and 6 long. I was hoping for low perennials that will add color. So far I have looked at the false heather but want variety. The left side has three floating Iris placed in a bed of river rock. The right side under the windows needs a complete redo - but I like the rocks under the tree!! We have put in up-lighting under the Pine Tree and it is beautiful at night.The planter is about 15 wide by 15 deep. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! I would post more photos but can't figure out how to do that!

Comments (10)

• vdorosy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Think I'm getting the idea now! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I am horrible at landscaping, but I wanted to tell you that I think your house is so pretty! There is a landscaping design forum where you can post. That's where I am going to go for advice as soon as I get a chance.

• leafy02
    11 years ago

I have no idea what to grow in So Cal, but wanted to say your house is adorable. You might have more luck with plant suggestions on the perennial forum--good luck!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I'm not good w/plants either. most of mine die. but Shades and moccasin have lovely gardens. they might show up here but today being a holiday might keep them away. give it a day or 2. also post on the landscape forum.

being you are in CA w/little rain maybe you could use some desert plantings?

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

It has been too long ago I lived in CA to remember gardening there. Was thinking bulbs with succulents planted over the top of them but I do not think bulbs do well in your growing zone.

Succulents are nice and would do well there. There are some really pretty varieties. Maybe a bird bath in the widest part.

I join in on all the others in saying your house is darling.

• kelpmermaid
    11 years ago

To OP - you might want to cross post on the California Gardening forum on the garden side here. My preferences run to natives personally. Are the sprinklers all on the same timer?

• sumac
    11 years ago

I agree with everyone, your house is lovely. I envision a Sedum garden in the teardrop. There are many varieties from low growing groundcovers to tall stonecrop,which blooms a beautiful burgandy. They are succulents and have rounded edges for a softer look than many cactus.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

If you don't get much water, I would concentrate all your water-loving plants up by the house. There are some gals on the Antique Rose forum that live in Southern California...and they grow beautiful roses, along with many other plants. You might want to try that forum, too :)

It would help if you say which direction the house faces, so we know if it's sun all day, partial shade, etc. An east facing garden is very different from a west facing garden. Our front gardens face southeast, so the afternoon shade is a huge benefit, when it 90+ degrees outside!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

vdorosy, did you cross post on one of the gardening or landscaping forums? I'd like to see what they suggest too, and what you've decided to do.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I think some rosemary would be great in the teardrop. Folks will brush against it and release the scent as they walk past. And I think it is good in your climate.