Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Cross post on decorating forum

TxMarti
11 years ago

What do you think of this brick color?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I posted there because I thought you all might try to be kind. :)

I really need to know if this brick color is going to work. I've been looking at it too long and can't really tell what I think of it. Dh doesn't really like it. My last option is to paint the house and I really don't want to do that because the brick dh bought for the garage is a tumbled brick and the rest of the house is flat. But it's an option.

Cross post here if you want to see.

Comments (11)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

"I posted there because I thought you all might try to be kind."

I hope you'll be kind back when I say that I have no clue...
    is that the brick just put on? You don't want to paint the brick? because some is flat and some isn't? I think I'm missing something... (besides a brain). .

I like the brick. I wouldn't paint it. In this heat I wouldn't be painting anything outside - lol! what's the temp there? It was only 99 here when I was outside at about 10 a.m.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's pretty cool here today, only 90 right now. It was overcast and breezy this morning and I painted until after noon.

Let me go take a picture of the two different bricks. It's hard to explain.

Oh and yes, that is the new brick.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Is that the dining room addition? It looks great! So many wonderful accent colors to pull out for the covered patio/courtyard area, pots, maybe some black metal arches (my favorite) etc.

I really like it...but now I want to see more pictures! :)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In answer to Steph, this is the problem with painting the whole house one color.

This is the original brick, a tan with some white on it, flat on the surface, a little crazing, and the edges are a little worn looking
    {{!gwi}}

This is the brick dh bought for the front of the new garage and to fill in the doorway on the house where the old double garage door was. It's called tumbled, but it's wavy and not at all flat. Dh bought it because it had the same three main colors, although really, the rusty red was a brownish red and the dark brown was too dark, and there was a lot more white than than the original.
    {{!gwi}}

This is the brick I bought this time, because Acme didn't have any more of the brick dh bought. I couldn't find any brick anywhere with the right colors, so ended up buying this brick because it had the same body color as the original brick and was the right size. Bricklayer said size was most important.
    {{!gwi}}

Then, we ran out of brick. I don't remember now who told us how many brick to order, if it was the bricklayer or if we gave our design measurements to the brick company and they figured it, but we ran out. Called the brick company and they didn't have any more of the brick I bought. I called everywhere, went to every brick yard within 100 miles and finally found this brick. This is the back side of a brick that has white sand on the front. But it was my only choice unless I wanted to order a pallet of brick and we only needed 100. It's a little darker than the other brick I bought and it has a groove in exactly the same place on every brick.
    {{!gwi}}

So if we paint the whole house, the wavy brick are really going to show, where they aren't too conspicuous being different colors and separated by the mortar color. The last brick I bought would be noticeable too, but they are all in the back, so not a big deal.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BTW, I just posted the full story on the other post. Can you check there so I don't have to type it all out again?

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Well Marti I am still confuzzled on what you are doing.Even reading the other post. I think the new dinning room brick looks wonderful. I shuddered when you said you needed to ladder up the fireplace. EEEKKK If you are building a patio enclosure I would not worry about it. Looks fine as it is in the picture. I would mount that sponge to a long piece of PVC and keep my self closer to the ground. LOL

Your house is really pretty. Love that walk way board walk you have. I need some more yard structure here.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well... basically I'm staining light brick darker.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I read on the other forum also. you've done an awesome job! I'd keep it. If you have anymore too white ones, just beige'm up a bit (or whatever color needed).

I'd have to really, really look close if I were looking at them in real and all mixed together to tell if any is different than another. No one should be inspecting the brick that closely or intently.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Just so you know the eye always goes to color so, if you blend them close enough, that's fine. Are you using the pumpkin color paint for the house? If so no one will ever even look much at the brick as the color will be so attractive to them. I think it's all fine so finish up and don't worry.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Well Marti I really like what you have done to the bricks. I finally get it now. I would think with the staining you are doing the differences in the bricks is not going to show up much if at all. Good job!!!!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yayagal, we haven't decided on a paint color yet. We'll decide that once all the brick are finished. We are also going to change out the porch posts for some rough cedar I think.

Thanks Chris. I ran out of the rusty red and dh let the computer match it today and it is totally wrong. So I won't be doing any more work on it until after the 4th. ;( I wanted to get done.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource