Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Smaller Post and Beam?

rosefolly
17 years ago

I'm thinking of building a one storey post and beam (timerframe) house of around 2000 square feet, possibly less. A few years ago I would not have considered this a smaller house, but these days I would. Feel free to ignore me if 2000 sq ft is too large to meet this forum's standard. I grew up in a family of eight in a house of about 1400 sq ft, so I do have some real sympathy with that point of view!

Anyway, I'm curious to hear if anyone else has or knows a timberframe house of about this size, and what they think of it. Most of the post and beam houses I see in magazines and books are quite a bit larger. I'd like to know if you can get that spacious, soaring-beam feeling from a smaller house.

Thanks.

Comments (13)

• kgwlisa
    17 years ago

You can but I suspect that it would not have as many rooms as a larger house. The rooms created by large timber framing definitely lend themselves to more of a "great room" concept.

• johnmari
    17 years ago

Considering I've seen post and beam garages, I'm sure it's doable. As Lisa says, it will most likely just have fewer rooms. Have you talked to any companies specializing in this house style? There are several in my area and they usually have in-house designers who could help you out.

Hint: a room narrower than it is tall feels like a chimney. BTDT.

• grandmapat46
    17 years ago

We are in the process of building a small timberframe house. The heated and cooled area is 1,996 sf. We have a lanai and porches that wrap around the house that add extra space. We purchased building plans online for a stick built house, modified them and then worked with a timberframe company. It has more than met our expectations.

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

GrandmaPat46, I'd love to hear from you about the process, if you don't mind sending me an email. I don't know anyone else who has done this, and it would be nice to hear about yout experiences, how you like the company, and so on. We're a few years away and I am still in the information-gathering stage.

Rosefolly

• mar_cia
    17 years ago

I would also love to hear more about this. And, could you tell us the area where you are building. I am intrigued.

• grandmapat46
    17 years ago

The process was relatively simple. We built our previous home many years ago so had some experience. Originally we did not plan on a post and beam house. The house plans were purchased from the internet after looking for over two years. We worked on the floor plans for many months, changing some things to get exactly what we wanted. When visitng friends we saw a post and beam one story that we loved. We contacted the company, sent them our plans and worked with their engineering department. This involved many phone calls and sending the floor plans back and forth. Once we approved the final plans, we made the choice of having the company put up the timbers, instead of having them drop ship the materials. We have post and beam construction with SIPS panels for the outside walls. We were responsible for everything else. There are many timber frame companies that will work with you on designing a custom home or you can pick one of their stock plans. I would recommend working with a company as close to you as possible. This company was not close by and that did cause some issues. We are building in NW Florida so the house is build on a platform on pilings. I forgot to mention that my husband is the GC. I feel like I am rambling and this is already quite long, so I will end it here. Let me know if you would like more info.

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, GrandmaPat46. That was very helpful.

Rosefolly

• jllafleur
    17 years ago

We have a 900 squar foot post and beam house in New Orleans. Because we have 12 foot cealing it feels bigger than it is. The living room and dining room are all in one. The person befor us removed the wall between the two rooms.

• schutjer
    15 years ago

We will be looking at a post and beam home that is for sale. 2 floors with finished basement. Total 2300sq ft. Are current home is 4300sq feet with large unfinished basement. The style is a saltbox. Current owners built it from kit.

How are these type homes?

• jasonmi7
    15 years ago

I live in a 1700 square foot timber-frame. What do you want to know?

• ronbre
    15 years ago

my home is 2040 square feet and is timbe frame..

when you enter you enter the living room...hated that so I added a front porch to it..better but still not ideal..would have preferred a foyer with a coat closet rather than walking 15 ' to a coat closet.

ok then across from the living room is the dining room..

these areas are MY areas of the house..tee hee..i have a computer hutch in a corner of the dining room which otherwise is seldom used for anything as we don't entertain much (husband has head injury)..
    as i sit here in the dining room to my right is the open concept kitchen and dinette on the far end..open also to the family room..around the corner in the family room is a laundry room and door to outside..and coming back toward living room is the master bath and bedroom suite.

there is a hall back to the living room..and then opposite there is another hall that leads to the guest bedroom and bathroom and my gymnasium..

off the back and laundry doors there are also decks/porches..which add to my home for a few months out of the year (Michigan..39 now)

• columbiasc
    13 years ago

I'm commenting here to bring the thread forward to 2011 for Nathanormaxie.

Scott

• nathanormaxie
    13 years ago

thank you Scott