Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooksiefan

Sears Modern Homes

brooksiefan
17 years ago

Used to be that people didn't need 5000 square feet for a family of four--people raised larger families in these little two-bedroom (usually) Sears Modern Homes that you could order from a catalog, then Sears would freight you every thing you needed to build except the mechanical systems. It's fun to look through these--and some of you may be living in one!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Modern Homes, 1908-1940

Comments (14)

• joyy
    17 years ago

very cool! in the 1927-1932 homes, there's one called 'the puritan' that looks a LOT like the amityville house. (after seeing that movie, i'll never buy a house with a hip roof...lol)

thanks for posting that link!

• arbisi
    17 years ago

When my daughter was in middle school a few years ago, she did a history report where the students had to make a mail order catalog of items people purchased during the 1920's. She included several pages of the "sears" homes in her project.

• sunrochy
    17 years ago

Gee-
    Would be nice if I could purchase a house at those prices! That way I pay in cash and have no mortgage, only taxes and maintance costs to think about.

• mrsmarv
    17 years ago

I have to say that I like all of them...I'll take one of them over a modern behemoth any day ;o)

• Nancy in Mich
    17 years ago

I have know about Sears houses for years, but never saw pictures of more than a few of them. They were very surprising! I propose a game of fill-in-the-blanks. Feel free to add catagories.

I've always wanted to live in a...
    But I grew up in a ,,,
    or I live now in a ....
    and I never knew Sears made anything like a....

My answers :

I've always wanted to live in a Bandon (1915-1920)
    But I grew up in a # 52 (1908-1914) (without the attic window or porch)
    or I live now in a N/A
    and I never knew Sears made anything like The Atlanta (1921 - 1926)

• brooksiefan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, I'll play!

I've always wanted to live in a Vallonia (1927-32)
    I grew up in military quarters--nothing similar through Sears
    I live now in a Baltimore rowhouse, buff brick, stained glass transoms, and bay front on the second floor
    I never knew Sears made anything like the Maytown (1908-14). Love the turret!

• rachelzuck
    17 years ago

My turn now.

I've always wanted to live in a cottage by the sea.
    But I grew up in midsize 2 story houses, then lots of smaller house rentals.
    I now live in a 1948 Sears starter home! The one with the diagonal cut doorway on the smaller of the two bedrooms.
    I never knew Sears made anything like The Brentwood (1933-1940).

Rachel

• johnmari
    17 years ago

I'll play too!

I've always wanted to live in a

But I grew up in a lot of different houses, everything from a trailer to a Victorian to a converted two-car garage. (My parents divorced when I was 5 and I can definitively say that joint custody is a real drag.)
    I live now in a tract-type generiCape. :-(
    I never knew Sears made anything like
    - talk about Over The Top!

• emagineer
    17 years ago

I lived in a Sears home when age 1 to 3. Still have pics of it from the outside, but remember nothing about living there. Bought the Sears Catalog of homes a few years back. This book can still be ordered.

I don't remember anything about the house but definitely found the same one in the book by referencing the family photo. Also have photos of interior Sears homes from visits to friends when a child.

The most interesting part to me about these homes was an option for a bathroom or an outhouse....which could be ordered. There are a lot of interior photos inside the book. I love the long sinks in the kitchens....and most likely bathed the babies in.

Would love to see photos of anyone who is currently living in one of these.

• clg7067
    17 years ago

Neat! The house I was born in is there - The Collingwood - in the last date bracket.

• jyyanks
    17 years ago

There are Sears homes in my neighborhood. We almost bought one but it was on a main street.

• gw:brand-eye
    17 years ago

i live in a sears house. didn't know it when we bought it (or even know they existed). our neighbors that have lived there forever told us. unfortunately i can't figure out which exact model it is, because i think the interior layout has been changed.
    there are actually quite a few in my neighborhood. i love ours! it's about 1100 sq ft not counting the basement and perfect for us.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Does anyone dare me to call up sears and say I'd like to order something... That Magnolia model looks perfect. I'll take 7 of them. Of course my catalog might be a little out of date. Put them on my credit card and when will they be delivered? Does the free shipping offer apply? Can I use a 10% off coupon?

• emagineer
    17 years ago

Just ran across this article by accident. Interesting as is the second on "Tear Downs"....didn't know there was a description for the terrible movement of small razing for big homes.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:rbE2xl6LndAJ:www.nationaltrust.org/news/2006/20060628_speech_sf.html+smaller+homes&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=224

Sorry about the long link...can't figure out how to add more than one in Optional link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving Sears

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!