Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

How many square feet is your "small home"

tlbean2004
9 years ago

My house is 859sf.

It has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, but i live alone so it is enough space for me.

Comments (67)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

7-800 sf. But the attic was made into an additional bedroom, it is an additional 200-300sf although you can't stand up near the room perimeter because of the roof slope.

• OklaMoni
    9 years ago

I lurk here often. Bought a 1115 sf house in 2012. Just me here.

two living areas
    two bedrooms
    1 bathroom

Works Great for me. Don't feel cramped.

Moni

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

About 1400 sf. Three bedrooms - but two are small enough that you couldn't really put anything larger than a twin bed in them. I use one as my sewing/dressing room, the other is mostly used for storage. 1-1/2 baths. The 1/2 bath is also the laundry room. Living room, dining room, eat-in kitchen. We have more "living" space than bedroom space which is perfect for us.

We do have a basement but you can barely stand up straight down down there and the only access is from the garage so I don't consider that to be bonus square footage. We don't even use it for storage - too creepy. lol It holds the furnace and water heater.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well, I live in a smaller home for our area, considering 1500 sq ft is the minimum allowable build in our town. Our main floor is 2100 sq ft (we finished the basement) and many of our neighbors are 4,000-8,000 sq ft. So while I may not be "allowed" I'm still here. And we moved here from a 1500 sq ft ranch we lived in for 30 years, so I figure I'm 'grandfathered' in.

I thought tiny houses were under 750 sq ft or so, no?

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

'1500 sq ft is the minimum allowable build in our town.'

I wonder how long those kind of rules are going to hold up in the face of increasing pressure to be 'green'? When we looked at property, some areas required as much as 2500 sq ft, and we originally were planning to build about 1200. We wound up with just under 1300 sq ft, although we could easily finish the basement, bumping us up to over 2500 sq ft. While I see the need for anti-shack laws, it irks me that I would be required to build (and pay taxes on) a certain minimum that exceeds my needs.

'Small' is a relative term. For two empty-nesters, 1300 sq ft, plus a similar basement is not 'small', in my opinion. Cram a family of 8 in the same size house, and it's downright tiny. It's interesting to research what the rest of the world is living in, while we struggle to get by in our 'small' homes.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I really love all of the tiny house blogs because it shows how well people have adapted to living at or below their means. I spent my childhood summers with my Depression Era grandparents so maybe I just find small living more appealing.

Our first house was about 850 sqft but had a poor layout. It was just the two of us, but a friend and her two middle school aged children lived with us for about a year. It still wasn't bad most of the time, and we had a useable unfinished basement.

Our second house was about 1600 sqft, and it felt gigantic. I hated cleaning it because it felt very spread out. After we had DD we realized we were really only living in maybe half of the house and the rest was a hallway. We had accumulated enough furniture and just stuff to fill it, but we just weren't happy living toward the end of our price range since I had become a SAHM.

We're living in a very old farmhouse on the family farm now. I would guess it's around 1100 sqft (it was originally one room but now added onto four or five times so a very odd shape). This house still feels big even with the three of us.

We will buy some land close to the farm but planning on building around 650 sqft. We took our first family vacation last month to Vancouver BC (that included DD) and decided it's more important to us to take nice family vacations every year and send DD to fun camps and classes then to have a big house.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

I didn't know that some towns have a minimum square footage. HOA "compounds", yes. But whole towns? (Maybe I did but have blocked it.) That's kind of weird, isn't it? Seems to me that property values and taxes would prevent shacks from being erected. Why not allow smaller houses if they are willing to pay the price?

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Roses, I have known of a few towns which required a minimum size on private lots. It has been awhile since thinking about this. I know in our city you cannot have a trailer or modular unless it is in an approved business group/land managing such. These haven't been approved either for years. One would have to build in the county.

I live in one of the oldest neighborhoods. It was and still is the elite with grand mansions mixed with teeny houses near the beginning of the base of our mountains. Before all the "rules", they allowed every size and style. There are many older homes with cute rentals included on their property site. The area is beautiful and love the old houses here, not so much the new million dollar monsters which tore down the history and little houses to buy multiple lots for building. One of the only pluses to the housing prices turn down which saw this go away during the last years.

My home is 1100 sq. ft and has decent size bedrooms, large living room and good size kitchen. But no dining area, which I would like to have since it means kitchen dining. But I don't do formal and few large meals requiring one. The layout of the living room suggests dining was was at the end, but use the entire area for living. I did build two log cabin storage units in back and have an extra long single garage. All help in the overflow.

Annie, your visits are always welcome. My list of learning from you is too long to take up a post. Don't go away and thank you for keeping my creativity alive. When I see you name on any forum, jump to see what you have to share.

I do miss the activity we once had here and so many which ventured away. To all new/old, it would be great to ramp up again.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

In our little city the minimum size house is 320 SQ FT.

• kellithee
    9 years ago

We just finished building our 1456 square foot house. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a separate room as an office. Laundry room off the kitchen.

• Ben14
    9 years ago

We have 900 square feet, one bedroom, 1 bath. We put a murphy bed in the living room and we sleep there. Son has bedroom.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I'm at about 1575 (I think) with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths, 1 person. Each room is huge. The living area is a big open space which consists of office space, living and dining about 25 x 45.

Now that I've been here about 1.5 years it is much bigger than I need.

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

We have 1485 sf, 3 BR, 2 bath, LR and large eat-in kitchen. Perfect for us two empty-nesters, not so perfect when son and three children (ages 2, 5 and 8) moved in! However - it is doable, and we were dealing with just one bathroom while the other was torn apart for remodel. We figured it would be for just a few months, ended up lasting five years, lol! It was impossible to keep up with and work too, but we made it work and had a lot of fun.

Now it feels like we live in a mansion, but I sure do have some good memories of that time...

• esga
    9 years ago

I am planning to move into my husband's 1500 sf house with him. It's 1 br, 1 bath, with some former sleeping porches that have been enclosed providing about 300 sf that aren't heated or cooled. They are also very narrow and not that useful. One wing is a huge kitchen/DR which is beautiful but not very efficient.

I have cats to which he is terribly allergic (though he is quite fond of them). His dog might be rather too fond of them: she tears all her toys apart and we can't trust her near them.

So for me to move in, we are turning his 600 sf detached garage into livable space for me and the cats, which will put us just over the limit also. His house has a lot of architectural character, so we don't want to mess with the original layout.

• ohiohomestead
    9 years ago

384sf

I've got a post with updates on it. I'm currently living in it and finishing it with help as I go.

• VirginiaWhine
    9 years ago

~ 1000 sq ft, 3bd/1ba

3 teenagers, 1 adult, 2 dogs & a cat

That's 4 females sharing one bathroom. But we make it work.

• mchv
    9 years ago

1008 sq ft: 1br/1ba on the main floor, with a loft upstairs

2 adults, 2 cats.
    We have a shed out back that's our 'garage storage' - it is 216 sq ft, and
    A separate guest room that's 120 sq ft.

Compared to where we moved from, its small, but writing it here - its plenty of space. Besides, I'm convinced that whatever space you have you just fill it up with stuff.

• amts
    9 years ago

Am I allowed to post here if it is a condo?
    (Still my home ehhh...)
    1,200 sq ft. 2 bedroom/2bath.
    2 parking stalls. Small IKEA storage unit in public area.
    I'm learning to downsize.....

• teapot100
    9 years ago

Well this thread is a little depressing for me, mostly because I don't like my house most of the time. Ours is a raised ranch, about 1200 sq feet, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, partially finished basement. We do have a good-sized yard. And we're a family of 4 (2 tween/teen daughters!) and a small dog.

• allen456
    9 years ago

2400 sq ft. Family of four. No basement (crawlspace), though we do have a 400+ sq ft detached garage that houses tools, toys, a ping pong table, and as soon as I go pick it up, a pinball machine from 1975. The vehicles park in the driveway :(

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

What a darling home moccasin.

• PandaRed49
    9 years ago

I feel like mine is small for our family, but it seems big compared to some of those listed here.

We're at about 1800 square feet, but with three teenagers at home, so essentially five adult sized people in three bedrooms. :)

We're going to turn out detached single car garage into a finished office space, just to have a big more room until the kids are all grown.

• oneblueonebrown
    9 years ago

We have 888 sq ft ranch with two adults, a toddler, a preschooler and a 50lb dog. 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom plus an additional 100 sqft sun porch (unheated/cooled) and a full unfinished basement that we use for storage and workout space.

We actually are under contract to sell this house (after only 9 days on the market, woohoo!) and we have a verbal agreement to buy a cape, hopefully signing the sales agreement tomorrow. New house is 1587 sft, 4 beds, 1.5 baths, with a partially finished basement. It's going to feel like a mansion compared to what we are used to!

• User
    9 years ago

I'll show you our framed in addition. It REPLACES the old enclosed back porch, which means I subtracted that space before adding this new addition. I intended it to be just 9 feet deep (the porch was 6.5 feet deep) but they framed it for 10 feet deep.. It also goes all the way across the back of the house, which means it backs up to the whole kitchen, the whole bedroom, and the whole walkin closet. I think the width of the entire addition is something like 32 feet. So 10 x 32 = 320 sq feet divided almost in half to split between the sitting room and the kitchen expansion. I'll have to look at the plans again, but it seems like I saw the figure 1450 sq ft for the house. That seems pretty large, since we began with 850 , enclosed the sun porch for 100, enclosed the back porch for another 7 x 14 = 98 or say 100. Up to 1050. Then we added the 5 x 19 = 95 or say 100...bumpout for the bathroom and walkin closet. Makes it 1150

Take away the back porch (-100) to get 1050 again. Then add in 320 and I'm at 1370. Figure I've made some errors in measurement because I did not measure the exterior perimeters, just inside rooms and added them together. So I guess the plans are pretty correct in square footage.

Notice there is big blocking across the top of the interior wall for reinforcing the hanging hardware for the barn door. I'll show that later after I've stripped most of the paint off.

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

About 1400 sq ft. I just moved here recently and am still a little shocked at all there is to do. Plenty of room for one person and two cats. Like most early 1900s homes the bedrooms (3) are small; one is tiny. I'm thinking about making that one a craft and sewing room. Also have a bonus sun room upstairs -that will be a TV/reading room. One bathroom on second floor. Generous living room and dining room, lovely 4 season sun porch. Small kitchen.

After much research on how to get a comfortable sofa of any type up my very narrow 1915 stairs (with a hairpin turn) I discovered Simplicity Sofas. Just ordered one and can't wait to get it! They come in parts so you can get them into small spaces--but they are quality furniture with rave reviews online. Just thought this might be a good tip for small home owners.

• peegee
    9 years ago

It's been a while - thought I'd check in again....waiting for new (old) house renovations to be completed, including eliminating 3rd bedroom to open the kitchen/eat-in area to a dining room/office. 1200 sf one floor which will feel huge compared to my current 1100 which is on 2 floors; meaning essentially I live in 780 sf.; very cramped without a dining area at all and has a very tiny LR. And I am just as excited to finally having a garage!

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

720 sf - and at one time, there were 6 adults, 2 large dogs, 2 cats and one small grandchild here....but this is england and not the US.

Sort of dreading Xmas....when everyone will reconvene here, along with an additional 2 adults and various pets.

• newgardenelf
    9 years ago

We just remodeled a little cottage around 600sqft 2BR. We're renting it now and plan to live there in retirement. Our friends think we're crazy but it is 1.5 acres on a riverbend so I never plan to be in the house anyway. The garage is bigger than the house so that's where DH will be..

• gardenerlorisc_ia
    9 years ago

1620 sf Three bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, dining room, kitchen and laundry/ pantry.

This is my retirement house; no steps and large attached garage.

Just enough room for me and the three big dogs.

• OldBarnDreams
    9 years ago

1120 sf 2 BR 1 BA 1927 bungalow; LR, DR, KIT. There are only 2 closets total (and they're not original to the house) The dining room is the largest room in the house. A small room opens off the living room that was once 1/2 of the porch, and is now the "Florida room" - it's 7 X 9 ft. Plus there's a matching room off the foyer, which is the cats' room. The laundry room was the original back porch. The footprint of the house has never changed since 1927. It's all one level so I can continue aging in place, hopefully!

• shelayne
    9 years ago

Our house is a 1941 cape, with a detached double garage. Right now we have approximately 1500 finished sf, but when part of the basement is finished we will be around 2100 sf. We have added a 16 X 18 ft deck off the back, remodeled bathrooms and added one to make this a 4 BR, 3 BA house.

With all the work we have done here, it is doubtful that we will be moving until we absolutely have to.

• oasisowner
    9 years ago

We are just under 1500 sf., but my last house was only 600 sf and was MUCH easier to keep clean!

• movinginva
    9 years ago

1100 square foot, 1962 brick rancher. 3 bedrooms, 1.5 bath.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Houses really can be too small, just as they can be too big.
    I grew up as part of a family of 8 living in a house that was about 1200 square feet. It was far too small. We felt crowded and noisy all the time. There was no place to ever be alone and think your own thoughts. I swore that when I grew up I would live in a big house.

Well, now I do, one too big for this forum. And it is genuinely a lovely house. But you know what? Now that the kids are grown, it really is too big. Now I don't want to go back to 1200 square feet, but I would like to get back to belonging on this forum, say something around 1800-2000. I like houses with lots of built-ins, but I really don't need a huge house.

Not going to happen anytime soon. My husband dearly loves our current house and I like many of its features, just not its size. I come by to read the forum now and then and make plans for what we would do if he changed his mind.

Rosefolly

• llucy
    9 years ago

The house I live in is two levels. Combined living space is probably around 1750 sq ft. This is the largest place I've lived in as an adult. I've lived in many small apartments -500 to 900 sq ft., and a few houses all under 1400 sq. ft. I read this forum to get/share ideas for a future home that will likely be much smaller than the one I live in now.

It doesn't matter at all what size home a person lives in currently, anyone with helpful ideas to share should feel welcome to contribute here.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"now I do, one too big for this forum."

shut off a floor of it if you can ... then it won't be so big...

besides, as llucy said we like all kinds of input. Someone dreaming of a smaller place - or raised in one might have some very good ideas on how to make use of the space available!
    And you can join in with comments on pics posted for help to fix, change, update etc.

I read and post on kitchens even tho I'm not really redoing mine. A few minor changes I don't really need input on - like changing the sink and handles (I've already got the sink and picked out the handles). I'm going to put some innards in 2 cabs and I posted questions on that here. When I get closer to ordering a new kitchen light fixture I'll post here to get opinions on which of the 2 finalists to get.

More input is always helpful.

• wordie89
    9 years ago

Thought I'd already posted size but here it is again: 2047 sf ranch.... 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths. We have a 2 car garage and an enclosed patio. 4 adults so it is comfortable but I can well imagine downsizing/closing off rooms should my adult sons ever move out! Grew up in suburbia in 2500, 4200 and 2900 sf homes with lots of siblings. Can't imagine caring for so much space now.

I'm at the age where I want to shed possessions! 12 place settings of china, tree ornaments and decorations that I no longer hang, project cars!!! (going on 31 years for THAT space hog but DH still dreams of getting it running), bread machines, crystal, serving pieces, extra furniture, etc. Habitat Restore benefits from our purging as does Salvation Army.

Moccasinlanding how dare those hostas be so obstinate as to thrive in Alabama! They really do look lovely as does your cottage. I'm trying to establish perennial peanut instead of water hog st. augustine grass.... oh the weeds are persistent and the dog digs plenty of holes in the yard.

• CrawfishCottage
    9 years ago

Since I just joined, figured sharing my smaller house stats would help as an intro.

1,200 sq-ft, one level on slab, unfinished attic. Two 10'x10' bedrooms. 12'x14' MBR w/ 5'x5' powder room. 5'x8' Main bathroom. "Great Room" configuration ktchen & LR. Separate pantry. Family Room. House built in 1947 and remodeled in 1974 by original owners. (We bought from the heirs in 2013.)

There's a covered back porch off of the pantry, a breezeway, and a carport. An 8'x10' "potting cottage", too. Everything nestles into the 1/3-acre fenced yard.

It is still an adjustment going from 2,400 sq-ft over three levels. Honestly thought I'd downsized properly before moving. Wrong! Still looking at unpacked boxes...and wondering what can be bequeathed to two adult children ;-).

• newgardenelf
    9 years ago

After kids, we went from 3,500 6BR/4BA to two smaller houses in different locations. One is 640, screen porch, covered porch, 2 car garage on a river. The other is 800ish with a screened porch. Both are 2 BR/1BA with a sleeping loft.

We sold most of our furniture and stuff- we couldn't be happier.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

1200 sq ft, 3 bed/1.75 bath (I say 1.75 bath because the master has a shower but no bathtub). No basement, no attic except the garage rafters. 2 adults, 2 boys ages 5 1/2 and 10. Every week I'm finding things to donate in an attempt to maintain order ;-)

• bobleilani
    9 years ago

Our farmhouse is about 800 square feet, plus we have a detached studio of about 250 square feet (which is attached to our 3-car garage). Just DH and I with our 3 doggies, but it used to be 4 until one passed away 2.5 months ago.

• pyreneesparent
    9 years ago

Before I launch of into the ether, LavenderLass..... Your husband is doing OK now, and y'all are over and out of perils and pitfalls that befell y'all?

This is gonna be a fairly long ramble, 'cause I’m really good at such things, and I sorta kinda in a way wanna brag about it all anyway.....

We started on our new place at the end of this past June. Well, if you count the well and septic as starting, it was the first week of June

We have a nice 1888 sq ft house on a couple of acres surrounded by a couple of acres of county owned "Storm water run off ROW" right down town here in the middle of the big city,
    Well, OK, with the "finished basement" I reckon it's really more like 3456 sq ft, but around here nobody counts a finished basement as part of the house. It's kind of just expected.

We have always had a place way out in the sticks since we first got together 33 years ago.

We had a really nice almost 2.5 miles off the road down a private ROW in the middle of an Appalachian foothills hollow out of the way almost 40 acres that we bought when the kids started middle school and we decided I was keeping the "new" job and that we would move closer to the real world than our 105 acres in the middle nowhere Tennessee was.
    Then a moron in a great big hurry passed a school bus on a curve and there I was.

To make a real long story short enough to bear, everybody but me thought that being a "Neurological disaster area" that far off the road with no neighbors and cell phone service only if you're in the right spot is totally unreasonable.
    My wife said she would be OK with me finding a place just as country just half as close to home (which would have been 13.75 miles) and half as far off the road with a neighbor or two...... Which of course no one thought I would ever be able to do.

So, I asked everyone everywhere that I came across and looked and looked and drove down every un-named pig path around and at last found a very nice 17.3 acres located almost right where three
    counties meet right in the very middle of the NC Piedmont. Unbelievably
    rural for considering its' being just 7.5 miles from the square in the booming metropolis of Mocksville, NC. and pretty much equi-distant to Salisbury, Lexington, Statesville, and Wake Forest
    University/Baptist Medical Centerin Winston-Salem. And it's just 47 miles to the terminal entrance at Piedmont-Triad International Airport in Greensboro, NC. and 67 miles to the terminal entrance at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport in Charlotte, NC too.

C was at first in shock that I actually found such a place and was a tough sell on me getting us this, but she finally realized that I was never going to shut up about it said if I could swing the deal that she would sign her name on the dotted line right next to mine.
    Everybody concerned, the people selling it, the real estate agent, the neighbors, the county folks, the people down the road, everybody, said we were never going to get it at what I was willing to pay.
    Everybody, except me of course, had little enough faith in my unfathomable charm and and bull dog (though many call it bull something else) tenacity to think that I would ever be able to talk us into making such a deal. But, I DID!
    And so C just like she said she would ended up signing her pretty little signature right next to mine and it's since Dec 2013, it's ours.....

Very private at a little over 1.3 miles off the pavement across three cattle grates through pasture
    and woods down an excellent shared private drive with one neighbor 500 - 600
    feet distant on each side of the home-site. A school teacher couple with no kids on
    one side, and a retired serviceman and wife on the other, and an
    absolutely palatial estate behind across the river. Due to the location
    on an oxbow of the river, and being in a three county "Designated Agricultural
    District", that's all the neighbors there will be. And the "Designated Agricultural Area" is bigger than this whole one town one high school county of maybe 40,000 is, and near as I can tell has a population density of 32 per square mile, which for east of the Appalachians, especially in the Ga/SC/NC/Va Piedmont, means it's virtually empty.

Sort of a pie shaped property with almost 2100' on the S Yadkin River.
    From a +75' bluff above the river down to several hundred feet of actual real sandy beach right down along and with two great big and deep swimming holes including one with a great big rock sticking up right in the middle for an excellent diving platform into its' 12 - 13 foot deep hole, with 300'
    fronting the "drive", +3000' along the longest side of the property with +1200' along the
    "opposite" side. And the river is from beginning to end one of the very few NC state "Protected Watershed"s and there willnever be any kind of development adjacent to it, no industrial plants, no sewer plants no nothing except woods and farmland.

C had serious doubts about the rational of buying this place, but, the chances that anybody could now talk her into selling bit and buying something else, are substantially less than zero.....

Approx. 5.5 acres of very nice and healthy pasture/field - with close to 12 acres in large
    mature hardwood's from level river-front floodplain to gently sloping to
    fairly steep hillside. And several acres of those hardwoods down in the flood
    plain that will one day make another several acres of beautiful shaded summertime pasture too.

We have us a new permitted and tested and approved 282' well with static
    water at 60', and a new permitted and tested and
    approved septic system installed. We bought a really odd 14 X 68 half of a double wide with an odd 2 separate pitches roof that we stripped out from end to end and is now in the process of being completely and totally ever so slowly redone by ME formerly 2 bed/2 bath - now being turned into a luxurious 960 sq ft 1 bath, 1 bedroom with a small alcove, an
    entrance-hallway/laundry/closet, a 9'6" X 13' "spare" room (for ME!), and a large
    sewing room and walk in closet.

VERY rustic in the outside appearance as the neighbors are like minded and none of us are concerned with what the drive by traffic that will never be, nor are any of us about impressing the county tax folks or anybody else except for the Great Blue Herons, Beavers, Bald Eagles, Deer, Turkey, Fox, Bobcats. Rabbits, Raccoons, Skunks, Possums, Wood
    Ducks, and according to one local lunatic, Bigfoot too, that are all in
    abundance here.

A wonderful retirement place for us, our now grown and hopefully permanently gone kids, our 5 dogs, horses, cattle, goats, and chickens, and our peace of mind too.....
    You could look and look, but it's it's absolutely no exaggeration to say that no one will ever find
    another "almost like being in the mountains" place like this anywhere in
    all of the Ga/SC/NC/Va Piedmont.

OK. The youngest of the great big Great Pyrenees wanting to go out and play in the snow,
    I am done with my brag.....

As next week is the first time this season since early November that we'll see temperatures hit 60F, work is about to once again, begin in earnest. And regular reports of perils and "progress" and pic's too are soon to follow.

• PRO
    LEM Me Do It Dezygnz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We have a 1972 Pocono, PA 960 square ft., chalet. All ripped apart NOW.
    'Started w/ a downstairs - #2, 9x9' bedrooms. Small kitchen. Living
    space, shower. Toilet. & sink fireplace, front & back doors, stacked
    wash/dry unit.

Upstairs is a loft appx. 390 sq. ft. May be able to increase also to a space of another 970ish if roof is raised.

'Want roof raised, 2 beds, Powder & full Bath.

Have purchased many supplies just need to get moving on projects step by step!!!!

• phoggie
    6 years ago

I built a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, kitchen, living room, dining room, laundry room/office house with double garage....1638 sf. No steps and totally handicapped accessible. Just right for me!

• jakabedy
    6 years ago

This is my second visit to this thread. This summer we moved from the house I described back in 2014 into a 1954 MCM/Usonian. It’s about 1,650 square feet with a very large living/dining combo and a very large MBR/Office combo. Baths are also a good size. The two other bedrooms and the kitchen are fairly small. There is also a detached 2-car garage with some additional storage built-in. And it’s just a few feet from the front door under cover, so really doesn’t feel detached.

Being Wright-inspired, there are built-ins in every room. This means that even though we gained square footage with the move, we had to shed a lot of furniture. I’m really enjoying the opportunity to simplify. I still have work to do, though, as it still feels cluttered.

• amyd0201
    6 years ago

Family of 5 in a 2 bed 1 bath 868 1920’s bungalow. Snug and cozy :)

• jakkom
    6 years ago

2bd 2ba, slightly under 1400 sq. ft. The single-car garage has become my DH's hobby room; our tall/wide new SUV wouldn't fit into it anyway, LOL - so there's an extra 200 sq. ft. you could add.

Open plan and vaulted ceilings for LR, DR and kitchen. Picture windows for the east-facing hillside view. A full one-quarter of the house is the MBR suite.

No basements out here, generally. So one of my joys is that I stuffed storage areas everywhere I could. For a small house we have an enormous amount of storage.....but of course, it isn't enough (I guess it never is).

But sheesh, you'd think three closets totaling over 30 linear feet would be enough for two people to share in a master bedroom. I have one closet but my DH has two!

• ifkncantbelieveit
    3 years ago

San Diego houses are selling average 550 dollars square foot. 1400 sq foot house 700 thousand and up . Lot 6000 sq feet. Slab no basement. Built in early 1960. And that is a starter home. Go bigger or close to beach way higher. I can't believe people pay that but now they sell in one week or less .if youive in more affordable areas and your housing prices are way

Lower buy the best you can . Yes they can go up up up up . In 1987 these houses were 100 thousand dollars or

• jakkom
    3 years ago

1350 sq. ft. or so, not counting attic (partial) or single car garage. 5 rooms; 3 of which are extra-large (LR, kitchen, and master suite) - well, for the size of the house, LOL.

Reduced from 3bd 2 ba to 2bd 2ba during original 1989 gut/remodel. Lot is large for urban coastal CA at 5600+ sq. ft. and on a sloping hill. Lovely hillside views from picture windows that run across the back of the house, up to the 18' cathedral ceilings in the open plan LR/kitchen/DR.

Designed the remodel with massive amounts of storage space inside. There's an extra-large master bedroom/bath suite with 30' of closet space for the bedroom and another full storage wall in the master bath.

No basement but original property owner built a big 12x20' shed so there's also storage in the backyd. We've had it renovated in phases so it now has full electrical and lockable storage - pest-proof and rain-tight.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms