Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

OT, about outdoor cats

TxMarti
11 years ago

LL, I know you've talked about the barn kitties. You know we have this cat that used to be a stray. He has tamed considerably but not enough to take to the vet or even roll him over to examine him. He has fleas, or had. I used something I bought at the grocery store that is put behind the neck and it didn't work. Went to PetSmart and bought something the guy there recommended and put it behind his shoulder blades. He's still scratching but I can't get him to sit still long enough to find any fleas, and when I try to roll over or put my hands on his stomach, he tries to bite.

Dipping or spraying with anything is out of the question. He'd be gone in a flash. Any ideas?

BTW, here is a picture taken today with him playing with a plastic drop cloth. Hope it's not too big. If it is I'll resize it and you may have to clear cookies to see it smaller.

Comments (21)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I see him peeking out! looks really cute. don't know what to tell ya about catching him. my friend had a litter hanging out at his house and he 'trapped' them to take to the vet and have them fixed. I think he put out a cage/pen w/food in it and waited for them to go in, then shut the door.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I see him peeking out! looks really cute. don't know what to tell ya about catching him. my friend had a litter hanging out at his house and he 'trapped' them to take to the vet and have them fixed. I think he put out a cage/pen w/food in it and waited for them to go in, then shut the door.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I would call your vet and explain the situation. If you get the frontline stuff from the vets it will work on the fleas...or maybe revolution would be better as it does fleas and worms...which is likely the cat has worms. It's good stuff, but you do need a vet's Rx to get it.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Marti- Hi! What a cutie, you have there :)

First, don't try to do anything that makes him want to bite. That can be dangerous and won't do anything to improve your relationship. I'd start with what you're doing...feeding him and letting him get used to your voice. If you're able to pet his head...that's a great start.

As for the fleas, I'm no expert...but if he's not going into your home and not getting too close to you...then the fleas are more of a discomfort to him, than a problem for you. That being said, I would check on powders and other things that might be able to be put on his bedding. If he has an old towel or something that he likes to sleep on...that might help.

We haven't had a problem with fleas, but if there's anything you can put in his food...that might be easiest. I think Annie's suggestion sounds good, too.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Marti I bought the Revolution for the porch kitties. I still have not used it. I need to catch them all at one time. Working on lots of petting at food time and hoping I can just squirt it on their backs.It is spendy.

• sable_ca
    11 years ago

Yes, Revolution is spendy. But we used it once on our two cats, in their first year, and seven years later have never seen a flea.

For worms - probably more worrisome than fleas - if your kitty is being fed by you and is used to your giving him kibbles, you can put a worming pill in a Pill Pocket. Most cats love them and will eat them right up and down will go the pill.

Good luck! Love the picture!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Had to go see the name of the stuff I put on him. It's Sentry Fipro guard. I used it on him last Friday.

He has to be sedated to take him to the vet, and if I can get dh to put on gloves and hold him down tomorrow, I'll check him over better and see if there are any fleas left. I also rubbed some DE (Diatomaceous Earth) into the fur on his back. It will kill fleas if they come in contact with it. I also put it in his food from time to time for worms. I ran out of liquid wormer but need to get some more.

He doesn't come into the house right now, but he does live in the garage. I don't let him roam at night any more and lock him in at night. He doesn't like it, but I leave the a/c on until I go to bed and I don't think it gets too hot.

He is really tame now, compared to a year ago. He will let us pet him almost everywhere, loves to sit on my lap now too, but he doesn't like to be forced into doing anything, like rolling over. He doesn't really like to have his stomach or legs touched either. I already bear the mark of the beast from my wrist to my elbow, so I'm pretty careful about doing things that will set him off.

Dh says he needs to be dipped and I told him to have at it. lol

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

Advantage II for Cats gets high reviews .

You can get Revolution on line.

If you don't have a relationship w/a vet, any of
    your friends can call their vet and ask for a recommendation.
    You can also ask at your local ASPC because what works in
    my part of the country may be different for your state.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.petshed.com/revolution.asp

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

"I already bear the mark of the beast from my wrist to my elbow"

NOOOOOOOOOOO! lol!

I actually have similar 'tracks'. I call it 'puppy abuse'.

or does that mean the pup should have the marks, scabs instead of me?

puppy does a lot of damage to my arms and legs but I think a kitty/cat would be much worse.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've had puppies before too and I can attest that scratches from a startled cat are much worse than a puppy. Cat's claws are a lot sharper.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks forboystoo. I'll check with my vet next week. He may give me another sedative and tell me to bring him in. He can put the cat out and we can spray him down with that stuff that kills fleas on contact.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You should also get him/her altered if you get to the vets...keeps the cat population down, helps keep males from spraying and makes them easier to deal with.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

He's been fixed and I get him shots every year with the help of the vet who gives me a tranquilizer first. I don't know what I'm going to do when this vet retires.

I think the stuff I put on the cat must have finally worked. He quit scratching and I haven't been able to find any more fleas on him. But I haven't gotten dh to hold him down either.

(This is the cat story on my blog.)

• cosanostra
    11 years ago

Second getting him altered while at the vet's.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I have an indoor/outdoor cat and used to have a terrible timekeeping fleas off of him. The topicals worked well on the dogs, but not so much on him. Two years ago we tried a 6-month injectable, Program, I think, and it has been a godsend. He gets his shot in March when he gets his regular shots/checkup and it lasts until the weather gets cooler. I don't get him a shot for Sept - March, so it's just a once-a-year expense. And I'm in the South.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks jakabedy, I'll check into that.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I also give Casimir a daily brewers yeast pill and he's rarely got fleas.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had a neighbor who used to give her dog a daily garlic pill and claimed he never had fleas. This cat is picky though and I don't think he would eat anything with any kind of crushed pill on it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

animals love brewers yeast and will eat it like a treat...i've never had a cat or dog who didn't.

• SunnyDJ
    11 years ago

I agree with the altering, best thing you can do for a furbaby.....And also a good idea, while, he's at the vets, try to spray or set off a bomb in the garage...Hopefully that will get rid of the rest of the fleas...After altering, he just might not want to go out anymore and find your lap more enjoyable.......Good luck.....

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

He is already altered/fixed/spayed.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996