Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
netshound

Small Home...Small Kitchen, But I LOVE it!!

netshound
17 years ago

Does anyone else love thier small Galley Kitchen like I do? I love going to the kitchen forum and seeing all of those beautiful huge kitchens. They are just gorgeous! But I do have to say I like the Galley style. Everything is right at your fingertips! Post some pics of your Kitchen. I'd love to see your layout!

Comments (34)

• skeeterbuzz
    17 years ago

How do I post a pic on the garden web?

• sunrochy
    17 years ago

Skeeterbuzz,
    You can open up the page of your picture then copy the http address. AFter that, paste the address in the Optional Link URL found just under the message box. Then type in a title in the Name of the Link box. It is the easier way to post a picture. Another way is to post in the message with

img src=""

paste the picture http address in between of the quotes "....." and add after the last ".

You can practice in the test forum.

Here is my small kitchen and I also started the Small Kitchen blog. It is not updated very often since I have a very busy schedule so it is not easy for me to update it often.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Kitchens Blog

• sunrochy
    17 years ago

Sure! (smile) It is Valspar's Sugar Cookie. I had the color mixed in Olympic's paint. I used the eggshell finish. It is less shiny compared to satin or semi-gloss, but more than flat.

• angelcub
    17 years ago

I've always liked galley kitchens. Everyone seemed to have one when I was growing up so they feel very welcoming to me. My aunt had the prettiest one in the family - all light and bright with warm yellow walls and gleaming white tile. She had one of those built in seating areas on one end with red leather upholstery. She used red in other accessories throughout the room and it was stunning.

Sunrochy, love your yellow walls, too. I am a yellow person - outside of home is yellow and so is the the entry and living room. Love it!

Diana

• netshound
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sunrochy...LOVE your kitchen! It is so cozy! I love the little table under the window. Gives it a nice touch. I'm in the middle of painting my cabinets in mine and if I EVER get it done, I will post some pics. Of course I need to update the rest but paint is the quick fix for right now!

• postum
    17 years ago

My small kitchen is great for cooking, and easy to clean...but I do long for an eat-in kitchen. There is something about gathering around the hearth that I really miss.

• netshound
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mine is a galley kitchen like most small home have but at the end is a very small addition that fits a table for 4. It's not much but it's something we can all eat at!

• postum
    17 years ago

Does anyone have one of those combination microwave/fan/stove lights (I'm sure they are called something else.) Our microwave is on it's last legs, as is the blower over the stove, and I was thinking I could create some space by putting a combo unit there. My worry is that it will not last - a fan/light will last many years (ours is original to the the house, 1946) but microwaves have a limited lifespan. Any thoughts on this?

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Postum, we just installed an over-the-range (OTR) microwave this spring for exactly the reason you mention. We have very limited counter space in our kitchen so removing the old microwave almost doubled the counter space (!!!).
    The range hood that we had was (I'm sure) orignal to our house, built in 1977, so the new fan is quieter and seems to be more efficient. Can't comment on the longevity of the unit, though.
    Margaret

• supercat_gardener
    17 years ago

When the OTR microwave that came with the house died 2 yrs ago, I bought a Kenmore ORT from Sears. Went to turn on the light on it about 2 mos ago, heard a loud pop, and now it's dead as well. I may get a regular hood, but do hate to give up the counterspace.

• sunrochy
    17 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments :o)

Diana-
    My house outside is yellow, too! It is more like golden yellow. The "mudroom" is also the same yellow on the top half as the kitchen and the bottom half is antique gold. Goes with the sunflower theme of the area.

Netshound-
    The little table was made by my departed mom. I could not part with it. Believe it or not, my mom used a white shelf and my capony (sp?) bedposts! She did a great job. If she didn't have her health issues, she wanted to have her own part-time interior designing business.

• velodoug
    17 years ago

We built our old 68 square foot galley kitchen in 1978. We liked it so well that when we took down the walls separating the kitchen from the dining room and the living room late last year we replaced it with our new even smaller galley kitchen (62 square feet) that is nearing completion.

postum, OTR microwaves are pretty standard in size. Once you install one, installing a replacement in the hopefully far distant future will not be difficult. We considered an OTR microwave too, but decided to install a vent hood instead to minimize cooking smells in our new open plan layout. We have a small microwave under the countertop of our peninsula cabinet.

• angelcub
    17 years ago

Sunrochy, that table is so sweet. I don't blame you for not wanting to part with it. A shelf and canopy bedposts - too clever! And it looks to be a perfect size for that spot.

I painted my laundry room cabinets a soft yellow. I'll have to take some pics. The room still needs a few more cabinets but they can't go in until we take them out of the kitchen. We are "repurposing" them. DH wanted to put them in the garage but I said no way! Well, at least not the uppers.

Velodoug, if a certain room configuration works for you, why not do it again. And you should know - 1978 to present makes you an expert on galley kitchens, imho. When we finally get around to redoing our kitchen, the appliances are staying in the same place as now since the layout works perfectly for me. Less expense, too.

Diana

• netshound
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Treasure that table!! It is just to sweet! No wonder why your kitchen looks so homey. You have a little bit of your Mom in there.

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Sunrochy ~ I love your kitchen. It's happy and cozy. Your table made by your Mom is very sweet and I wouldn't get rid of it either.

FlowerLady

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I have an OTR micro in this house and had one in my old house that was 10+ years old when we sold it.
    I like them. I have mine vented outside,it's a whirlpool and the fan is great. I use the light for a night lite...no problems, this one is only 1 year old.

• postum
    17 years ago

Thanks for the feedback on what I now know is called an OTR micro! It sounds like it we should seriously look into it. We could sure use the space!!

• willie_nunez
    17 years ago

Ours is small, but feels bigger because it's part of our great room, which has 10 ft walls with 8 ft windows and doors:

• julsie
    17 years ago

Willie, your kitchen is beautiful and classy!

Postum, those "OTR microwaves" are also called microwave hoods. I've never owned one, but I've lived in rentals with them, and liked them a lot.

• anicee
    17 years ago

Here's our eat-in corner in the kitchen

{{!gwi}}

• janengland
    17 years ago

Our kitchen is small, but the higher ceilings add some 'space'...we like clean counters, but I offset that w/ a frig full of magnets, coupons, etc.!!

• weed30 St. Louis
    17 years ago

My kitchen is 8 x 11. I'll be updating it with new counters, cab knobs, sink and light fixture, but as far as space goes, it's not bad. In fact I am surprised at how much counter space and cabinet storage there is.

I have some pics at the link below, scroll down to the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

• lizdc
    17 years ago

My kitchen is 10 x 10 and used to be closed off with just a dorway to access it from "dining room" and then a doorway to the mud room. Last year I had to redo my kitchen. Seem that teh floor joists were rotten and the floor was sinking. Word of advice make sure you have a good inspector. I didn't and keep paying for it. I redid my kitchen and took the wall between the dining room and kitchen out. I put a peninsula in with a knee wall at the back. I also had the granite pulled 12 inches out for a eating over hang. I use my dining room as a great room. I actually think that the orginal kitchen was a half of dining room from seeing other houses like mine. I think that the kitchen was an early addition. Even though a 10 x 10 kitchen is small mine lives large now that it was redone. I wouldn't want my kitchen any bigger.

Here is a link that might be useful: my new kitchen

• jannie
    17 years ago

Sorry I have no camera/no photos. My kitchen is tiny. We re-did the cabinets and put in both undercabinet lights and hanging appliances/hanging can opener, hanging microwave. The appliances have broken and we had trouble locating replacements with the exact same hanging holes, so that we don't have to keep drilling the undersides of the cabinets. But I really think hanging appliances are great in a small kitchen.

• julie34
    17 years ago

I to have a galley kitchen and am looking for some ideas to change the decoration of it...its missing something! I love my kitchen even though sometimes it can get crowded raising 3 growing children! I will try to get a picture of it soon. Im glad I found this page, I was starting to think that no one appreciated smaller kitchens anymore.

• bzyathome
    17 years ago

My kitchen is smack dab in the middle of the house. It's only 10x10 and isn't really considered a Galley kitchen but I call it my 'Box' kitchen.
    We redid the cabinets/cupboards and countertops last July and one year later I still love it more than ever. I have one area that is a little cluttered but I didn't want my microwave on the countertop so I use a bakers rack next to the fridge. It's alittle tight but the doorways are wide and so it's not really an obstacle. There is a link to my kitchen as of this morning!

I LOVE this forum!!!1

Marilyn in NM

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen July 2006

• cushie
    17 years ago

Our total home square footage is only 1500 but a great deal of our home is kitchen. We're in the middle of remodeling it right now. You can also see some of the other work we've done with the link below. I'm so happy there's a small home forum - those of us with smaller homes sometimes are left out with the McMansion boom. I love my house, though, and I don't have to use an intercom to yell at my kids :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen and more

• lousit
    17 years ago

I hope this works. My kitchen is very small but it works for DH and I, and we have a dinning set in our family room in the basement just around that corner for large gatherings.

3-9-06boarder.jpg

Url
    Tag
    Img

Kitchen001.jpg

Url
    Tag
    Img

Kitchen002.jpg

Url
    Tag
    Img

-boarder005.jpg

Url
    Tag
    Img

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Willie ~ Your kitchen is really nice. Want to see more pictures of it with how you've decorated it. Lots of space there.

Anicee ~ I love your cozy, welcoming kitchen. It looks very homey to me.

Weed ~ I like your new kitchen. Your countertops looks nice as is. What are you going to change them too? I know that whatever you do it will look great!

Marilyn in NM ~ I love your box kitchen. Love your collectibles/useables on the shelf over doorway and on your baker's rack. Also love your little stained glass in your window.

Cushie ~ Enjoy your new kitchen. I still love my redo after about 3 years now.

Lousit ~ Sorry to say I can't see your pictures, and I sure want to.

It is so inspiring to see what you all have done with your small spaces.

FlowerLady

• weed30 St. Louis
    17 years ago

Here is a link to lou's kitchen :)

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

• lousit
    17 years ago

Weed30, thanks so much for posting my pics for me. I'll learn to do this yet, I really wasted space trying though. Flowerlady, hope you got to see them also. Thanks, Lou

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Lou ~ I saw your pictures by copying and pasting. Then used Weed's posted link to your pictures and enjoyed your flower gardens as well. Your kitchen is cheery and makes me feel happy. Love your chicken motif.

FlowerLady