Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Making Shade

User
13 years ago

Ok, I just visited Overstock.com and found they have some sail shades. One is triangular, one is rectangular.

Link is below to the first one.

They are not the heavy duty ones like those made by Sailshadeworld.com in Australia, but they might do the job.

It's worth a look anyway. Even this late in the season, our hot weather will extend for another two months and maybe a little more.

I got a coupon code in the mail which will take an extra 7% off the sale price, if ordered before August 29.

It is 151576 applied at checkout. Hope this helps?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sail Shades at Overstock.com

Comments (5)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Thanks ML, I've been thinking about making one or two, but at that price, I'm better off buying.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Chris, I thought about those too. They are well worth the price. My problem was where to attach the ends and wasn't up to cementing in posts. Then I thought about just using big tree limbs in an umbrella stand.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

hit and run post as I am OUT the door. Shade clots covers on overstock on sale today only $49.99 Same as above'

Here is a link that might be useful: Sail shade

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Emagineer, the wind can really do a number on umbrella stands. One I bought because it was about 70 pounds had a 9 foot diameter umbrella in it, and a single gust of wind toppled it over.

One review of the items for sale at Overstock says their nominal dimensions are from corner eye to corner eye. The body of the sail shade curves inward, making the dimension overall smaller.

Getting one ready to hang is a good way to go if you are strapped for time and need something NOW. And can use this sort of product to learn what you actually need....

Sort of like me buying a different food in a can to learn what it might be like, then I can make my own (much better) version of the dish. Or maybe not.

Our heat index is between 105-110 today, and I'm staying inside. I keep thinking about making a sailshade from the shade cloth roll. Just over my car, 2 lines secured to the tall fence posts by the driveway gates, and then stick two more 4x4 posts on either side of the drive further away. hmmm, my shoulder is messed up from swinging sledge hammer and adz and crow bars, so I cannot do much construction these days.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Your right about the dimensions, they are measuring the outer corners. A complaint some have on buyers reviews.

I know well about the umbrella/wind problem. Have had more than one entire table with an umbrellas tip over. Pluse a 4 burner barbeque. Can't use a cover for it because I end up with a huge balloon to carry it away when the winds show up. This includes the propane tank. Now I have it chained to the house.

Wind issues are possible with anything cover. Here we just keep an eye open for when wind wants to stir up trouble.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH