Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny House Forum?

Posted by angiepangie (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 9:53

I like this forum- but I sometimes think that we could use a tiny house forum. There are allot of people living in 75sq ft homes, 500 Sq ft homes- It would be neat to have a forum for them since they really don't fit in here.

I know that this forum is for smaller homes- under 2,000 sq feet. I guess it is just me, but even 1500 sq feet seems huge compared to some of the tiny houses out there.

Please see the link below to see what I am talking about

http://tinyhouseswoon.com/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny House Forum?

I know a lot of people have posted plans and websites for tiny houses before, but I don't recall anyone who actually lives in a tiny house. At least not anyone who is a regular poster. Sometimes the owners of tiny homes have followed the link from their website here and posted on the thread that was started.

So I guess what I'm saying is I don't know if there are enough people who have tiny homes to make a separate forum popular. But you can certainly run it by GW. What do I know?

o

I would love a tiny home, but DH doesn't think it would e fair to our DD.

I do really love the site Tiny House Talk that I linked below. There are sometimes several new posts about tiny houses everyday. Sometimes the homes are on wheels, but lately they have shown more with actual foundations and stairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny House Talk

o

I know people in Manhattan who live in spaces as small as those houses. My friend just sold her 650 sq ft apt for $600,000.

o

Some of those look like playhouses. They're really cute, but I can't imagine having a dining space for more than two people. Are they like a studio apartment with a bath? They look like they might work for a weekend cabin, maybe?

o

Thank you for that link--I've spent way too much time looking at all the cute little houses. I think a tiny house can be a good interim solution for a single person, or a couple who get along really well, but I can't imagine living in one long term, or with a family. And even though I joked about running away and living in a gypsy caravan, I can't imagine living a nomadic life.

I want a gypsy wagon, to use for a playhouse or extra guest room. Then I'll have a smaller home and a tiny home. :)

o

I agree, when I saw "smaller houses" I was thinking under 1000 sq ft. 2000 sq ft is a big house to me. Of course, our previous home was about 900 sq ft and this one is just under 700 (like 696, which sounds weird and I prefer to round to 700, lol). Even at that size, it doesn't really feel small, the only thing is that it's only a one bedroom (unless we made a loft or something). Before we bought it we were looking at one that was 500 and something (I can't remember, maybe 570?). That was completely gutted (no walls) so it was hard to get a sense of "will this seem small"-but we were going to have a bedroom and bath then the kitchen/livingroom open to each other so I don't think it would have. We actually know the people that bought it so it will be interesting to see how they configure it when they get around to putting up walls.

I think below 500 sq ft starts to get small, if you don't want to go the "studio" route instead of a seperate bedroom. We have a 120 sq ft shed and I can't imagine living in there, I can downsize a lot, but I must have an actual bathroom. I draw the line at an outhouse or something like that, lol. I could probably make it work with 300 or so sq ft and a loft "bedroom".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here