Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creative Ways to Store Airconditioner?

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 11 at 9:43

I just bought a large air conditioner--18 x 24 x 24 -- that should cool my whole house. I'm already thinking ahead, though, as to how I'm going to store it for winter (here in MN, it will be stored from mid Sept. to June). I'm in a second floor condo and the idea of hauling it down two flights of narrow steps to the storage in the basement is off putting, although we could do it. It weighs about 100 lbs. Unfortunately, it is too big for my closets (which are very narrow and long). I'm wondering if anyone creatively hides something this large? I could just put it in a corner with a cloth draped over it and a plant on top, but any other suggestions are welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creative Ways to Store Airconditioner?

Hi Marita.
There are a lot of "convertible" furniture styles such as ottomans which make into beds, or book shelving which makes into Murphy beds, and such as that.

I'm assuming the 18 inch dimension is the HEIGHT of your a/c? If that is so, then you might consider getting....or building....a 25 inch square wheeled platform to set this a/c upon. Then you could put a "cap" on it that is padded with some cotton batting or foam sheets, then covered to make it into an ottoman. I think it might make a nice coffee table all by itself, even when the a/c is moved into the window or otherwise in use.

The nice thing about putting it on wheels is it is very movable. But to make it steady and stay where you want it, use locking casters. Look for some which can take the weight of the unit and anyone who might choose to sit on the ottoman. I think you might make this cover out of 3/4 inch plywood so it will be very sturdy. And when the a/c is in use, you might store some of your winter clothing or bedding in the empty ottoman?

I would not want to be struggling with that heavy item down stairs. I lost control of a heavy low chest going down some carpeted stairs, and it skiied its way into a door at the bottom, busting up the door. No one was injured, but we were lucky.

o
RE: Creative Ways to Store Airconditioner?

It is a window a/c? One house we rented had a refrigerated window unit that just slid back a little into it's stand/holder so we could close the window. It wasn't as easy as "just slid" but all the adjustments could be done from inside the house. Could you install something to hold it outside the window so you don't have to bring it in at all?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here