Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen remodel has begun! LOTS of Pictures

Posted by nancy_in_mich (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 10 at 0:17

Hello fellow smaller homers! I have returned from my weekend at the Kitchens forum and have pictures for you. The old kitchen is gone now and my skylight is in. Today Jim built the wall that will separate the Kitchen and Family Room. Do not think I am crazy for building the kind of wall everyone else is tearing down, for only 6 feet of it is to the ceiling. The next 6 feet or so of it is going to be only 40 inches high. It gives me a backsplash for my desk area, which overlooks the family room and TV. But what it is really doing is keeping the dogs from getting onto the counter from the Family Room furniture! :-)

It also provides space for running electrical outlets to the desk area and to the Family room.

The green box by the book shelves is my solution to an immovable object. As you can see in the above diagram, the stairs to the basement are right next to that side of the kitchen. We previously had a pantry behind a bi-fold door. That pantry was an unwieldy 40 inches deep. Inside, on the pantry floor was a slanty protrudance. It was the ceiling of the stairwell and we must live with it. It is still there under the bookshelves, but I don't want the bookshelves 40 inches deep! My solution is to have Jim build a little bench above the slant in front of the bookshelves, like a place to sit once you choose a cookbook to peruse. That is what the green box is.

More pictures of the denuded kitchen and our new skylight. Each picture actually has a caption at my pbase site. To read them, go to the link below and start at the page I posted and continue hitting the "next" button. You will see all of the pictures posted here, along with the captions.

Lots of info is on the pbase site, so if you have questions about these photos, please check there first (link below).

Now, this is where I need your help. We have the cabinets, we got the used 23 year-old kitchen from Green Demolitions. We have also purchased a polished porcelain tile that looks like stone to use as a top for the 45 x 93 island. We have the tumbled marble 4x4 tiles for the field tiles in the backsplash. We have also ordered a 4 x 12" listello for the backsplash, a top and bottom line of polished granite with a center diamond-shaped stone of the same pink/brown granite each foot. The background of the listello is a polished stone the same color as the tumbled marble (more or less). I plan to have one row of tumbled marble, the listello, and two more rows of tumbled marble. The listello is not here yet, and the sample cannot be taken home for more than a few hours, so I cannot show it to you yet.

The perimeter countertops will be Nevamar laminate. We had chosen one - before we chose the island tile and listello - and now we are questioning if we have the correct one. I have narrowed it down to three choices. We also have not yet chosen the flooring. It will be Marmoleum (real cork and linseed oil flooring made with natural pigments and a jute backing just like it was 100 years ago.) I also have three choices for flooring. Would you like to see? I strongly suggest you hit the link below so you can read the captions, but feel free to scroll through these pictures posted here, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diagram of kitchen and other pics with captions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen remodel has begun! LOTS of Pictures

nancy - in the darkest of the perimeter counter top - does it have dark brown in it or is it dark grey?

I like the darker flooring but you'd need something else in the dark range to go with it - like a darker counter top. otherwise everything is beigy/ cream with specks, swirls etc in it. well, cabs don't seem to have specks or swirls - lol!

I like the partial wall too. good thinking to bar the pets! I also like the idea of putting a bench over the slant of the stairs ceiling - great idea!

is the stove top on the island?

I love the island tile!!! you'll love that skylite too! does it open?

o

I'm terrible with colour selections but i had similar thoughts to steph. I like the dark flooring because there's so much similarity between the beigy colours that the dark flooring is a nice contrast.

o

Hi Steph! Yes, the skylight does crank open, so if we wever get a smokey kitchen from burning something and the downdraft can't take care of it, we can just open the skylight. It will help with any heat build-up in the kitchen/family room area, too.

Yes, the dark parts of the darker countertop are brown/black. In some ways that counter and the dark floor are my favorite. BUT, I am not sure I want as dark a floor as that, it is even darker than the one it replaces. Plus, with the amount of dog hair we have, it will show everything. (Which actually could be good if it inspires me to do a quick vacuum.) My big reservation about that counter is that it is so busy. And spotty. Will there be a clash of patterns with the island being cream/brown and swirly and the perimeter (sink-wall cabs, desk cabs, and 6 ft of 14" deep counter above the wall cabs used as floor cabs by the ramp) counters being just as strong a color, but spotty? It is hard to pick this combo due to that, and the dog hair thing.

DH looked at the choices this morning because the floor samples came yesterday. He likes the lightest floor now (medium was his fav before). With it, he likes the #1 countertop. This is for two reasons - the background of the #1 top is NOT beigy, but a blue/gray/green. And the swirls are the cab color. It gives a contrast to the room, though only a light colored one. The stone resembles the backsplash field tiles with inclusions and such. The lightest floor may show the dog hair the least.

We are likely going to stick with the Lettuce green wall color. You can see the paint chip on the pbase site by going backwards from the starting point of my link above. The #1 counter top choice best brings the green/blue spectrum into the kitchen surfaces, so the green won't feel like the wall color is there to fight off all the pinky brown of everything else in the room.

Steph, yes, the stove top is on the island, the yellow rectangle. If you go to the pbase link, you can read all the captions that explain a lot more than I did in this thread.

Trance, our Aussie friend, thanks for the input. I DO like the contrast of the dark flooring, and it really could inspire me to vacuum more. This is just so hard! That is why I so much appreciate all of your opinions.

There is something I did not have time to explain last night. Linoleum develops a yellow tinge when it is manufactured, and this disappears after a certain amount of time exposed to light. Last week at the flooring store we saw this clearly in their samples. The 1 1/2 inch of each sample that was exposed to light was less yellow (and pinker for these three samples) than the part of the sample that was hidden behind the display. In a week we may see the middle sample and the lightest sample have a more pink tint. That is what the little light-exposed stripe showed in the store. I have my samples spread out and exposed to light, so I hope we reach the real color soon. The Tan Pink color will look less orange/peach soon, I hope.
This is ALL so HARD, I have never had such a time choosing colors for things.!

o

Hey Nancy, my word things can get so complicated.

You do not really HAVE to choose a dark countertop if you have a dark floor. I'm going to give as an example my DH's cape kitchen up north.

I LOVE the counter tops he chose, which are the Silestone quartz STELLAR SNOW. It is a confetti like speckled pattern with various specks of gray and a little tan and some sparklies. I cannot see anything on it, like salt, or bread crumbs, or bits of wine cork, so I take my hand and run over it. I also am surprised when I dampen a paper towel and find dust and dirt on the surface. So even though it is a light surface, it always looks clean--even when it is not. I like it so much that I will use STELLAR SNOW on half of my countertops in Mobile, the sink and dish washer side, when the time comes. The other side I think will be stainless steel, which is basically gray and will look great. Maybe not, but that is the present thinking.

DH also put down a speckled gray/black/white granite tile in his kitchen and dining room. It does not show dirt much. But where he put down a solid black granite hearth at the fireplace, you see every speck of dust. The overall pattern or solid shows dirt more. I can also see dog hairs on the solid black.

Now I'm going to visit your link and be back later.

o

Hi ML. I only was choosing the dark counter with the dark floor because they matched so well. If you see another counter choice that you want to pair with it, be my guest!

At times, I feel like just using a plain-Jane counter color that is the same color as the cabs. I am worried about having too much of the same color and pattern, but also afraid of two patterns that might "fight" with each other.

I just typed another long description on my pbase site. It is under the diagram I drew, and explains the contents of the diagram.

o

nancy - I did look at your pics - I must have forgotten to scroll down to read under that one!

a dark floor - and a dark counter top will both show dust and light dog hair more I think. I don't think anyone of us wants more cleaning to do. I sure don't. maybe if someone has a cleaning person they might not mind it.

o

I like the dark color of the floor too, but on the counter to break up all the similar light colors. To bad you can't find a swirly color for the floor, that would hide dog hair & dirt.

o

WOW It is a good thing I only had a couple of choices when we were putting this house together for counter and flooring. I really do like the flooring. Not so much the counter. But I will say it does not show anything. Like ML I just have to trust it needs wiping and do it. Usually it does.

Any of the choices you have look good to me. I agree too much of the all the same color might get boring. I kind of like the
first picture under the sky light pictures and the darker large piece but I was confused if you were going to use it for floor or counter. I think it would be wonderful for counter against your pretty cabinets.

Need to go look at your like but right now DH wants FOOD> Hehehe Imagine that.

Chris

o

Congratulations on getting started, Nancy! I love the idea of the seat in front of the bookcase.
I like all of your choices, but I lean toward countertop #2. There is just enough color to visually seperate the cabinets.

o

LOL Chris, I like the countertop stone she picked for the island.

o

I ran across a kitchen (pic) today with a wall like yours behind your desk area. they had the stove in that position.

o

That's funny, Steph, I originally did have the cooktop in that position. I was going to use the island cabinets as a peninsula right where the desk and 36" pantry is in my current plan. I do agree that the dark floor will look dirty faster. I do like that color, though. The middle color is the one I am liking least this week, the swirly tan/rose/peachy color. DH saw all three flooring choices in our kitchen for the first time yesterday and decided he likes the lightest floor best.

All three of the large rectangles are linoleum for the floor. The smaller ones are counter laminates. Marti, you found the one counter color that I DON'T have a sample of! LOL. But that is why I am asking you forum friends, I need to hear opinions and consider ideas I have not thought of!
I will watch and see what I can come up with in the area of dark counters. I may not have a sample in Nevamar, but I might with Wilsonart.

We went back to the tile store today and picked up our tile and returned the sample tile we used in these pictures. The big swirly tile is actually polished porcelain -fake stone. I love it's creamy undertones with the cabinets. The lightest floor tile has the same color of cream in it, and the color of the other swirls in the lightest flooring is almost like a photo negative of the swirls in the countertop. I think "photo negative " is a good way to represent the color relationship between these two materials. Anyhow, we went to the tile shop and looked at the new counter samples with the backsplash tiles and the listello tiles. It turns out that the dark spotted countertop material, the one I call #2, is a dead ringer for the colors in the listello. DH, two sales ladies, and I all agreed that using that for the counter actually takes away from the polished stone of the listello. Everyone liked countertop #3 better. It looks great with the backsplash field tiles and looks good with the listello. It is a great color against the cabinets. It is far enough away in the room and a subtle enough pattern that it may not clash with the island tile. We may stick with that, but I will pull out all the samples I can find and see if anything I am not considering is better,especially something dark.

Chris, you are right. Too many choices makes it harder!

Today's progress in the kitchen includes a new ramp down to the family room, finishing of the soffit framing, removal of the ceiling, and placing of all but three can lights. Jim now has the placement of the cabs and the island top drawn onto the floor. Some of the clearances do look tight, but it is a small kitchen we are working with. Thanks for all the comments, everyone! Tomorrow I may take the porcelain tiles out of the box and play with them. I would like too see how the color variations look over the course of several tiles.

Oh, our listello tiles are made and have been shipped to the Chicago office. We should have them Tuesday or Wednesday.

The schedule for next week's work is that the ceiling and drywall will be finished on Monday, taped and mudded on Tuesday, primed on Wednesday, painted on Thursday or Friday (by my friend or me). Once the paint is done, Jim will move cabinets into place. He will get trim pieces (crown, toekicks, island counter edge) ready for me to stain and paint, and will leave me to that one day while he is at his shop, building the new cabinets. I figure we have another good two weeks left before the kitchen is done.

Once all is in place, I will have the linoleum salesman come and bring samples so we can choose the floor for good. Three weeks later,the floor should be in.

o

Nancy, I am a big fan of porcelain tile. It is so very very durable. So far we have used the unglazed kind in the sun porch and the tiny little bath--in Roman Salmon (soft terra cotta). I have the porcelain for the master bath already purchased and sitting in boxes under the loveseat in the living room...and it is also unglazed, but is called Rialto White. Sort of reminds me of YOUR colors.

I am in awe of the way you are handling the tasks of bringing this kitchen job to completion. It is going like clockwork. Even if there is a hiccup, it seems to me that it will not throw you off your stride. Having you talk this out as you go is helping me too. I have no idea how to coordinate all the work involved in a kitchen redo. Thank you for bringing your lovely kitchen to share with us all.

o

Aw, ML, you are sweet. I am glad you are getting something from this. My plan for both the kitchens I have done has been to get the basics figured out first. That includes the cabinetry and appliances. When you have a firm delivery date you can start planning with your contractor on when the project will start. From there, you need to start choosing elements. I don't think that it matters much what you start with, but you have to pin down at least one big item so you will know the color and texture for sure. For us, it was the island tile. From there, you move on to choosing the next important element. In this project, it could be the perimeter laminate or the floor. While making these choices, you do have to keep an eye on the final elements, just to be sure your choices are not boxing you out of having that last element work.

I think that my most important choice was in the contractor. Jim Hartman (Contract Remodeling) was recommended to me by a salesman at the lumber yard/Ace Hardware store. He is so good to work with. He thinks ahead, is creative, and won't do a poor job or put up with any old poorly done work he runs across as he works.

Marti, your comment inspired me to look at the Wilsonart samples we have. DH likes the ruggedness of the Nevamar, but I was able to convince him that Wilsonart is good enough. I had several colors of dark Wilsonart counters and we both like this one, Luna Crest. It also matches very closely with a bar of trim that I got at Lowes. I bought the trim because when we were talking with the tile salesman about what to do for the edge of the island, he brought out a resin chair-rail trim that was this color and it looked perfect. But $8 or so a linear foot was NOT perfect. Heck, resin could just shatter if you whacked it hard enough! But I do love this color with the tile and like the metallic look even more. All I need to do now is find the paint that will re-create the look!

In the past two weeks I have also solved the lighting issue. We were going to have some can lights on the perimeter and our antiqued brass chandelier over the island. Once Jim got up on the roof, he found that the best placement for the skylight would make the chandelier over the island impossible. The skylight was in the way! So I went back to the place I got the four 6" cans for the perimeter and got 5 4" cans for spot lighting. One is for above the sink, one for above the desk, and three for above the island. I did research on the Kitchens and Lighting forums and went with LED can lights. They use very little power and have 5 year guarantees. They should last 10 years. They can be dimmed, too.

Jim gave me a piece of oak yesterday and I took it to Sherwin Williams today with one of my doors. They will work at finding a stain that will make the bare oak look like my doors. They will call tomorrow or Monday about that. We tried plain whitewash, but it was too white, they wanted to add some gold to it and try it again. Since they were closing, they said they would try tomorrow. Even though the whitewash stain was too white, it did a good job of hiding the wood that was showing through the worn (especially after scrubbing!) areas on the cab door. I had sanded, touched up and polyurethaned about four cabs already, using paint I had for touch up. The dirtiest and most worn cabs I haven't done yet, and I think this stain is going to do a much better job than I was.

o

Hi all,
Our kitchen window is in, and DH picked it up today. Jim got the last of the can lights installed and the ceiling drywalled today. Tomorrow he will drywall the walls of the skylight and install the window. We originally were not going to get the new window yet, but DH decided to order it so Jim could install it during the kitchen remodel. He is planning to replace all 7 windows once his inheritance from his dad's estate comes in. We have one window per room, that is all! My last house had 5 in the kitchen alone.

I am thinking of asking DH if we can get those small liners in the picture with the Luna Crest. I think they would look great separating the colored listellos from the field tile in the backsplash. It would dress it right up. Maybe I won't ask him.... $272... humm. WWYD?

o

i really like the counter top you chose - and I love that trim!

o

nancy I'm loving the luna crest and it really ties in so well with that trim doesn't it. It looks like you could recreate it with a stain and then rubbing in some gold or bronze to metalic it up. hmmm, it's all coming together great. It sounds like your contractor was a great find too and that must make it so much less stressful when you have someone who does a good job and you trust.

o

Nancy, I really like that last picture of samples. They look good together. I think I've even seen some wood trim similar to that tile sample. You can faux that color easily. Take a light brown satin or low sheen paint for your base (after primer), and black semi-gloss for your glaze. You may need to add just a tablespoon or so of mineral spirits to make it go on without drying fast. Paint the black on and take a clean dry cloth and wipe off. It will give the tan a bronzy look and the black will stick in the crevices.

If you want the black to stick on the top of the rope part like on the tile, distress it just a little before you paint the brown. If you want just a few dots like they have, poke it with an awl, but not too deep.

If you want it to kind of glimmer like metal, there are metallic paints but they won't stick to the crevices like the black. You'd have to do it on top after the black I think.

In fact, I've got all that stuff except the rope trim, after writing all this out, I feel like experimenting. ;)

o

Trancegemini, thanks for the input. My DH is getting tired of me changing my mind (it is so unlike me to do this!) and the input from all of you is helping me so much. Yes, Jim is a great find and I love working with him. He thinks of things I would not have even thought of, and I occasionally catch him in the nick of time - like last week when he forgot that the pantry cab is 24 inches deep and was so proud of his soffit corner angles and I had to break it to him that the next cab needed to be under the extended soffit too. It is so nice to have a WORKING relationship with a craftsman that is not defined only by what someone wrote on a piece of paper.

Marti,I am glad you liked our newest choices, since you are the one who sent me off looking in that direction! I owe you my thanks. Do you think it will be okay to use painted wood liner on the backsplash instead of trying to figure out how to get a $300 charge past my DH? I will ask Jim, too, but your opinion or Chris's opinion (since she does tile and glass mosaics) will help, too. Maybe if I give it several coats of polyurethane, it would work. My concern is about the water-based mastic and grout and if they will affect the use of a wooden painted liner.

Marti, if you have the time, means and inspiration to fool around finding the colors for me, all I can say is THANK YOU MORE THAN I CAN SAY! -cause I expect to be busy sanding and re-staining cabinets this weekend, staining and poly-ing cabinet molding next week, and then poly-ing the cabs once they are in.

We need a name to replace "varnishing." Since we don't use varnish anymore it does not seem to fit, but "polyurethane-ing" is just too many syllables!

Gotta go back to typing for work..

o

Well I am confused about the back splash question and wood. Are you putting tile over wood for your back splash? I would use the proper backer board. I did put my glass tile over the sheetrock which is iffy and if I had it to do over or start new I would use the green board or cement board for the back splash part and then tile. But this house was already built.

I applied the tiles with silicone and will run a bead of it along the base of the tiles before I grout to try to keep any counter water from getting to the sheet rock where wall and counter join and then grout and seal the grout well. And I MUST do that soon.

I LOVE your last picture choices.

There is a product called run and buff that will also give you that metallic look.Check craft stores. It is easy to apply.

Chris

o

Thanks Chris, for joining in. I had a fun time at your website last night looking at your beautiful mosaic work again. I just love your lady!

So you are finishing up your backsplash? I am looking forward to your pictures. I remember your pic of your original cabinets in particular because my mom and sis had a doublewide with the same wonderful craftsmanship.

For the joint between the backsplash and countertop, one is supposed to use caulk, no grout. Grout crumbles as the two surfaces expand and contract with temperature and such. You can get the caulk in a color to blend in with the tile (or countertop).

Thanks for the info on Run and Buff. To answer your question about my project, here is a picture of what I want to do -

The rope liner is the piece I want to make out of wood. I probably will not use a rope style, but maybe a beaded style trim piece. DH does not like the rope.

Here is a link that might be useful: bead liner on ogee

o

nancy I think the wood bead will be fine as long as you stay away from things like mdf and use a proper wood to make it, and me, I'd paint the whole thing to seal it against water before installing it, including the back - even just a flat or primer on the back will help seal it in case any water should get in around the back down the road but as long as the front is well sealed with paint or poly and you caulk it should be fine too.

o

OH Darn it was supposed to be rub and Buff. What I get for trying to post too early in the morning.

Now I understand what you are doing. The rope piece is wood. I thought it was tile and could not understand where the wood was coming in. DOH on me. Sometimes I can be so dense.

I would say as long as it is not along the bottom edge where the water goes and you seal it up well it should be fine. I even know of folks that use that bake clay in their mosaics and it holds up to the grouting process if done carefully.

I also meant to say caulk on the bottom edge and do it before grouting. I have some here to use. I think Emagineer told me about this. Makes sense to me for sure. Do not want water getting behind those tiles. I HATE caulking but will make myself do it so it is ready to grout when I have the time to do so. Maybe as soon as I get done with lunch here. LOL

Chris

o

I bet you are really getting excited now that you are this far along. You sure have seemed calm about this whole project. I look forward to seeing the end result. Love your choice of tiles and lino with your cupboards. I'm not crazy about that gold and black beading. Just my personal preference. Where is it going to be used?

Pretty soon, this project will be a thing of the past and you will be enjoying your new kitchen.

I love the skylight too.

FlowerLady

o

Hi Flowerlady,
Yes, it is getting exciting. Jim is finishing up the mudding today and on Monday he will sand and prime. That means that on Tuesday we paint. I have a friend with experience with painting and she will either do it, or help me to do it. She and I may prime and paint the adjoining family room if we can get the gumption this weekend. I am more eager to get to working on sanding and touching up the cabinets, but since Jim will be sanding on Monday, I cannot bring them into the kitchen yet. :-( So that woulld mean hauling them in from the garage and then back OUT to the garage in 90 degree heat. Blah!

All of this means that the cabs will start going in on Wednesday!

Thanks for the opinions on the materials. We have not decided on a floor color yet, and I think that it may be one of those things we decide when the salesman brings the samples to the house. The "black and gold beading" is actually a shiny metallic bronze rope trim. DH would prefer it it if it were beading! We may use it on the backsplash, like this (my picture above is not showing for me.) The brown/bronze sample in the upper right is the counter top laminate that fairly closely matches the rope liner:

o

Calm about the whole project is right, Flowerlady! I think she is marvelously cool calm and collected!

I do not understand what was just discussed about the ogee and the bead and whatever, way over my head, unless it is about the molding at the top of wainscoting. Or is it the decorative molding around any columns in the kitchen....I will wait for film at five.

Way to go,

o

Nancy, if I understand you correctly, the picture of the rope trim above is ceramic, but expensive, and you want to use it as an accent to separate a stretch of tile in your backsplash kind of like this? (or to separate tile from sheetrock on backsplash?)

tile for backsplash Pictures, Images and Photos

Sorry for the photo size, I did a search on photobucket and this is in someone's public album.

I don't think there will be any problem using a wood product as long as you let the thinset and grout dry before installing the wood. I see it in pictures all the time, mainly on floors. When we did our bathroom, we bought the 4x4 tile at an outlet and thought we'd get the curved trim pieces at their main store. So dh put the tile up, we went to the store and it was discontinued! So we used a trim that is vinyl (since it is around the shower) but looks like wood. Just nailed it into the backerboard. I can take a picture if you want to see it.

I'm working on the trim, but it's really hot here and I'm not supposed to be using my right arm, so it's really slow going.

o

Marti, that tile is probably 1/2" porcelain mosaic, very similar in color and look to the shower floor tile we used to improve traction on a wet surface. And the top row of tile above the trim line, would be the 2x2 tumbled porcelain tiles separately glued down. That is the same product that I bought to go under the new clawfoot tub, to make it easier to have floor mounted water supply pipes. The series is an Italian unglazed porcelain Rialto White, and we got it all from Lowes. I dearly love the Italian porcelain.

When we put down the large squares 16 x 16 for the little bathroom floor, it was the same product line but in Roman Salmon--a soft terra cotta flower pot color. At the edge of the floor we had the beadboard paneling installed. I wanted a baseboard there, so I got the 12" long bullnose pieces which were between 3 and 4 inches high. It works fine. My DH installed that and finished trimming the places around the shower with tile and grout, or was it caulking....I cannot recall. But the tile trim is like a tile backsplash with wood above it, and we have no problems with the two materials interfacing.

o

Nancy, this is what I got when I painted a scrap of molding. Hope it gives you some idea what painted wood could look like.

First I gently beat the tar out of it with a wire brush.

Then I painted a basecoat of brown satin latex that was pretty much the color of chocolate milk, or coffee with a generous amount of creamer.

Photo taken outside in the shade, unfortunately on a gray deck. It's the same color as the brown in the colorful bench I painted - I think I posted that here, but can go find a picture if needed.
Photobucket

Then a coat of black satin latex and wiped off.
Photobucket

Here's the same piece photographed inside the garage without a flash.
Photobucket

Then a coat of the metallic which is fairly translucent. Didn't make a lot of difference so I put on another coat.
Photobucket

It covered up most of the black and filled in the little hole marks, so I beat it again and repainted the black and wiped it off again.
Photobucket

And the same piece taken inside the garage.
Photobucket

o
Forgot something

Oh shoot, I forgot to tell you that when I added the metallic, I only did it on half the board so you can see the difference in the two sides.

o

Wow Marti, thank you! I can really see the metallic color compared to the non-metallic side. Just to make sure I understand, you "beat the tar out of it softly with a wire brush" means that you hit it straight on with the bristle end of the wire brush, so that the wood received indentations from the individual wires. You did not drag or scratch the wood with the wire brush though. This provided little divots in the wood the size of the individual wires that would hold the black paint when you wiped the black paint off, right? Since the metallic paint covered the black, you did it again after the metallic paint dried. Right?

It looks impressive. I like the effects you were able to get.

I stopped by Home Depot tonight on the way home from work and got a piece of wood molding. The only metallic they had was the Rustoleum spray paints. I ended up with a dark crackle metallic and a lighter coppery metallic. I also got a can of primer. Tomorrow I will see what I can come up with. I will post results. BTW, the paint guy at HD was totally unhelpful. They did not have any metallic paints in the brush-on style, all were spray paints. That is bad for my lungs, but I will be careful to not breathe!

I will hit a few of the tile store tomorrow to see if I can find a liner with a lower price anywhere. I am not hopeful.

o

Yes, that's what I did with the brush. I don't think I'd use a spray on though because you won't be able to control it as well. Before you open your can, let me go out and spray the other side and see what it looks like. I might have a gold spray.

Oops, I forgot to hit the final submit button. Just as well.

No, don't use spray paint, I put the can down as fast as I could and touched it with the rag and it had already dried to the sticky stage. I guess if you tried to wipe it off with a rag wet with mineral spirits it might work, but I'm afraid that would mess up the other paint if you used latex.

I used a metallic paint in a little jar called Metal Effects made by Modern Masters, Inc. This should be the link for it. The color I have is Bronze Statuary at the bottom of the page.

Metallic paint

Dh said he got it at the Pittsburgh Paint Store. You can also use it alone but it takes more coats to get a solid finish, and then use your black over it. That would save buying a brown paint if you don't already have one.

o

Marti, thank you for all of the help. I will certainly use it when I paint the molding that will form the edge of the island. The good news is, that I was able to find an inexpensive tile liner today in a metallic bronze. It is a simple flat bar liner (which DH will like better) and it is by Pratt and Larson. They are 8" long and cost only $1.44 each. I would have preferred something domed, perhaps, but maybe when I go to order them on Monday, it will turn out that these are also available (probably at a higher price, though).

o

Hi, nancy, It sounds as if your tile problem may be solved, but my 2cents:

You can seal the back of the wood trim with Dry-Lok, a masonry water-proofing product. Also we've used a clear silicone adhesive product, purchased at Lowe's, to stick (technical tile-setter term) tile-to-tile, and pebbles-to-tile, and I think that would work for wood on backerboard. If the silicone was used, in a separate step between setting rows of tile, you probably wouldn't need to seal the back of the wood trim.

I remember seeing this process on one of the DESIGNED TO SELL shows on HGTV, where they took long pieces of wood trim, crimped them every few inches with a pair of pliers (to simulate grout lines), then painted and installed them as the top edge of a kitchen backsplash.

If you can get a tile border for $1.44/piece, that's probably less investment than you would have in all the materials required for wood, and a lot less work!

o

Oh that tile piece sounds like the answer to your problem. I didn't know it was for your island, I thought it was for your backsplash.

o

Hi Marti, the tiles I found are for my backsplash, and I was considering making wooden ones for there. Meanwhile, I have an island that will be covered with the swirly polished do not have a bullnose or any edge trim, I will have to use molding to edge the island. When looking at the trim at the tile store, it dawned on me that I could paint wood trim to match the resin trim pieces that were so expensive. It is not as much as an issue to use wood instead of the resin tile as a border around the island, since the wood will be attached with adhesive and maybe some nails into the plywood layer on the counter. I was more worried about trying to get wood to work in the backsplash because I would be putting it in the middle of the backsplash, using mastic just like if it were a tile. So, even though I did find a tile to use as a bronze liner for the backsplash, I still have to paint the trim for the island edge. I will use your research there and I truly appreciate the help you have given me.

o

nancy - you can get the metallic for the wood trim at a craft store - Michael's? joAnn's? donna dewberry should have some that is at least somewhat waterproof in her line. Also, get some top finish for it in matte or satin finish. you can get that in a spray can also.

o

Update: It is GREEN. I think it is a nice green, let's see what DH has to say, I am betting he'll say, "too dark."

Well, it is an hour later, and he says he likes it, but I wonder if he is just being nice, since he has done so little toward the kitchen project and I kind of told him he ha no right to criticize the length of time it is taking (he is getting stir crazy without a kitchen).

I hurt too much to go find the camera, so you will have to wait for photos.

Cabs start going in tomorrow!

I did not order the bronze flat liner yet. It is just not the right color. I am going to shop some more.

o

wow marti those samples look great! you are very artistic lady!

"since he has done so little toward the kitchen project and I kind of told him he ha no right to criticize the length of time it is taking"

Ive been there nancy. I have a similar attitude - if I'm doing the work DH doesn't get to criticise and it takes as long as it takes me. He's getting better about it but sometimes I have to remind him it's really discouraging when he does it.

o

More pictures are at my pbase site! Green walls and the first of the cabs are going in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabs going in, 12 new pictures!

o

Thanks trancegemini!

Nancy, your kitchen is going to look great. Love the green and the way you did the fur down (or whatever y'all call it there). I love, love, love, that pantry with the hinged pull out shelves.

o
One more thing

Nancy, I keep forgetting to ask you about the studs in your pony wall or half wall. Are they metal? If so, I'd like to know more about them.

o

Trance, I know I feel badly after I tell DH to STFU about things I cannot control in projects I am doing all the work in. After all, he waits on me hand and foot 90% of the time, LOL. He is really sweet and if he did not have such anxiety about change and inability to cope with disorder, he would not be the guy I love. So I guess I am going to have to cope with him after all!

Marti, yes the studs in the whole new wall are metal. It is one way of getting to make a drywall wall slimmer than it would be with wood studs. If you have specific questions about them, let me know and I can ask Jim the Only Man Who Will Build in My House Ever Again. Really, he is a fine craftsman and a fun guy to have around.

Thanks for the nice comments. I do like the green, it is different in different lights and I like it more than I thought I would. It is killing me to not get to see the DOORS on the cabinets, all lined up. But I guess that means I can sand and touch up their finish outside with my stinky oil-based stain on the weekend. My lungs do NOT like this project. I was up at 5:00 in the morning wheezing and coughing until I could wake up enough to use my inhaler. Have GOT to get to bed, it is 1:30 here! Ta ta, my friends.

o

WOW Nancy. Looking great. LOL about the milk carton ceiling. My green kitchen is very close to your green. Maybe a little lighter and I think our living room green ,one wall, is just a bit darker.

So happy to see your updates. Get some rest so you can work harder tomorrow. :^)))))

Chris

o

Nancy, You are my hero! you are doing such a fantastic job. That layout is super and you figured everything perfectly. How??????????? Obviously you have some serious skills.

o

Loretta, I appreciate the kudos, though I am not sure I earned them. All I did was measure my kitchen,take the measurements supplied by Green Demolitions, and fit the puzzle pieces together! And think, and draw, and think, and draw, and sleep on that design, and think, and draw,.......

By the time Jim was available to do the kitchen, I had redone the design three or four times. It pays to have a carpenter who runs behind. ;-)

Yesterday Jim did not show up. He said he hurt his back, which well could have happened, since he was heading "up north" to work on building a retaining wall for his father in law when he left here on Friday. I was home Friday because as I left the bedroom after showering and dressing for work, I found a pile of dog poop in the hall. Our halls are covered with quilted bed pads that one usually finds in a hospital or nursing home because we did have a nursing home here for three years, until DF-inL died in March. I used the bed protector pads in the hall because dog #2 (Casey) has a brain tumor and takes prednisone. Between the two, he cannot hold his urine for long. Dog #3, Bina, is afraid of the outside and will not ask to go out. Apparently, Jim arrived before I got a chance to get her outside after breakfast and I forgot all about taking the dogs out because I was talking with Jim. So the poop was on a pad, I just had to pick it up and change pads. BUT on the way back to the bathroom to flush the evidence, my toe caught the edge of one of the pads. Normally, it would just drag along behind me. But Dad's chair, from the Family Room, is sitting in the hall outside the bathroom and it was holding down the pad and I fell. It was not pretty. Poop all over the door frame and the wall outside the bathroom! And my other hand landed on the marble door sill, nearly splitting the skin on the base of my thumb with the force of catching myself. My left knee hit the floor hard and I have bruises for about 9 inches below my knee now. I yelled when I went down, and Jim came running. I asked for baby wipes, to get the mess cleaned up before I tried to get off the floor. I had gotten Hylagan shots in both knees 72 hours earlier, and was afraid I could have injured ligaments or a tendon, as these tissues are extra vulnerable after the shots. Luckily, I think I just bruised it. My legs are terribly swollen everyday, and incidents like this leave me black and blue and very tender. Fortunately, I have been taught to do lymphedema wrapping (which is done a lot more in Europe than here), in which gauze, foam, batting, and compression bandages are used to support and compress the swollen limb. Taking Lasix simply gets the water out, but it leaves behind protein that is in the lymph, which then can form fibrosis, which can be painful. Wrapping gets all of this back "uphill" where your body can take care of it. Wrapping is also very supportive and comfortable, so I will have to spend an hour doing this every morning (and another hour washing and re-rolling bandages at night), at least until the swelling and bruising is gone.

So I stayed at home on Friday with my legs and wrist on ice. I think it helped a lot.

Sunday, my friend, DH, and I stained all of the toekick molding and the crown molding and sanded those doors and drawer fronts. Then nothing happened on Monday, and I did not get to stay home this morning to see Jim and hear if he thought we did a good job on the staining.

I came home tonight to this!

I am so thrilled to see it all together. Well, almost all together. The pantry doors need repair (and sanding and staining) and are not installed. Neither are the doors on the desk cabinet. The plan for the next two and a half to three days was for Jim to stay home and build my new cabs and my counters. So I do not expect more visible progress until next Monday. But I can stain and sand all of those doors and drawers in the meanwhile!

o

Ouch! I wish I had had you around when I first hurt my elbow, maybe I'd be in better shape now. Since you stained the toe kicks (which look great btw), are you better now?

It's coming along nicely. I know you want to see more progress, but it sounds like it's being fitted together carefully.

What did you decide on countertops?

o

Hi Marti! I wrapped up my leg on Sunday to do the work, then went to my job (at a desk that day) on Monday and almost drove off the road with pain at every little bump in the pavement. I tell you, you can learn to drive with one hand while clutching a limb with the other!

The toe kick moldings are still in the garage. The ones you see here are the original ones. Jim is replacing (or going over the old?) them because they were not in good shape.

Countertops are Wilsonart Luna Crest - the brown one seen up above in my Sunday, July 11 pictures. I still plan to use your technique on the island moldings. Once I have the staining done, I will tackle that!

o

oh nancy - that's horrible! you get hurt and have a mess to clean up on top of it all! you poor thing!

the kitchen part is good tho. It's looking great! the flicker of light at the end of the tunnel.

you'd better try to stay off your feet as much as possible. I hope you let your doctor know what happened.

keep us posted on it.

o

Nancy, The kitchen is looking great. And its getting done quickly too. I'm looking forward to seeing how the tile and countertops come together.

I have been reading up on swelling and bruises (since my ankle is still swollen - but not painful). Just like you said, I read that after the fluid drains away, solid 'matter' is left that it takes time for the body to re-absorb. I read that the best treatment is R.I.C.E = Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.
Fortunately, you seem to know just what to do. I hope the bruising and swelling goes down soon and you are back to your best health.

o

Nancy, you do great work, and apparently know how to pace yourself. What you've accomplished in your kitchen is an inspiration to me. I sure wish we had a Green Demolitions near us...or within driving distance.

But most of MY kitchen redo will not involve cabinets as much as it will countertops and layout.

Take care.

o

Hi ML, I would love to take credit, but I am only doing peripheral work. Jim Hartman, our contractor, is putting the kitchen in. I am sort of GC'ing, since I stay a step ahead of him and have the materials he needs on hand in time, show him the particulars of the next part (and very occasionally catch something that he had not thought of, like needing a spacer between the big pantry and the dishwasher for the door to open). My friend, Belinda, is here today to work on sanding and staining the doors and drawers with me again. This is my big job on this project, and I don't usually do that much. It is just because we are saving $$$ by buying used that I am doing that.

Yesterday I ordered support brackets for the island overhang. Jim and I decided to make the overhang 16" instead of the 21" it used to be with the old top. There will be more space between the desk and the island stools this way.

I also ordered the molding for the island edges. It is a panel molding (like for wainscoting) that has a rope molding at the top. That leads me to my next question for you, my forum friends - should I use the rope molding I have in the shot of the backsplash tiles? DH and Belinda say no. But I just ordered island trim to match it!

I found a store nearby that sells the paint that Marti recommended and I will go there next week.

The big news is that the counters are in!

The wall oven cab, fridge cab, and small pantry are in! There are a bunch of new photos at my link below. I have not had time to caption them yet, though.

Jim is still going to make a corner wall cab to go between the wall cab and the wall oven cab. He is also making bookshelves between the new pantry and the wall, above the "slant". Then the front part of the "slant" will have a bench, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: keep going forward

o

I started staining doors and drawers yesterday and it is not going well. Does anyone have advice on how to get the stain to stick to the rounded edges of the doors?

o

That is interesting, I would think the corners would be a problem taking in too much stain. Try some liquid sand paper on one corner (gently) where you can't see the corner well. It will roughen up just enough to take stain, but not like you stripped down to wood. Or are you talking about the front of the corner?

o

Hi Emagneer,
The cabinet doors and drawers are rounded, like this:

and the corners are where the stain tended to wear off in use over the past 23 years. See the little brown mark on the upper right edge of the door in the picture? That is worn through to the wood. When I sanded the doors to get off the finish that was left so that I could re-stain them, these rounded edges became more denuded of stain. They look like the oak underneath, not the whitewashed wood. So I need to re-stain the whole door, but the denuded rounded edges need the most stain. However, the stain just does not want to stick to these rounded edges. I finally tried just blotting the stain onto these areas and leaving it to dry. I am hoping that when I do the entire door with a second coat, the stain will "stay put" on the edges because the base coat is dry, and I also hope that the second coat will even out the brush strokes. The first, "blotted on" coat was not applied following the grain. If I apply it that way, the stain comes off. I am learning that it takes a very light touch.

The doors I did on Sunday are finally dry. Maybe tomorrow I can do some more. Tonight I have to put polyurethane on the toe kick and crown moldings.

Thanks for the interest. I am hoping that you helpful folks out there will give me some advice.

o

The kitchen is looking great. I'm sorry to hear about your accident, Nancy, and impressed with the way that you keep on going!

I love both pieces of rope trim, but I have to remind myself not to try to match too much. I grew up with neighbors being impressed if one could have matching suites of furniture, and drapes or curtains ALWAYS matched the bedspread! I could go on for hours about the matching kitchen themes--apples, cows, mushrooms...

o

Mama, matching is not a lost art form even today. But I do like the rope look, even though I am more concerned about the problem of cleaning down in all the grooves.

I think Nancy has the porcelain tiles for the backsplash that look like tumbled marble. That is the look we have going on in the new bathroom tiles, the 2x2 mosaics which will go under the tub. I'm not thinking they would look great in the kitchen backsplash. They look great in Nancy's pictures.

o

Hi Smaller Friends! I have lots of good news. i did not wrap my leg today, and it did not throb or have flashes of pain. I am over the "hump."

Today, Jim arrived with a bookcase and lots of drawers. He made the oven cabinet with three drawers and he put one on the bottom of the bookshelf. You will see why when we finally get it done. When I came home, he had the fridge in its place, the wall oven in its place, the counter for the microwave installed, and the bookcase installed. The island is even in the house. Jim's helper had to move on to start the next job, so Jim brought everything that needed two people into the kitchen today. I do love the island, but I am thinking that we are going to have to make the overhang shorter than we planned. It feels great now, with no top on it, but the place will get really crowded with a top and swivel counter stools.

The big news is that Jim decided to recreate my door/drawer fronts himself. He brought three today. I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference, and he made them for far less than the $165 each that the replacement company for Quakermaid wanted.

I got the final two coats on the toe kicks tonight after work, and I will work on crown moldings tomorrow.

I don't have pictures to share, but I am so thrilled that we are moving along that I just had to tell you. Pics on the weekend, when things start to look better - I have all the door fronts and drawers removed to stain them! I may take off a couple of afternoons with good weather to get more done. Only thing is, no work, no PAY, and I am going to need lots of the later to pay this all off!

o

it's all coming along so quickly nancy, I wish you could bottle Jim and send him my way lol - he sounds like a gem.

when you get a chance can I see a pic of your stained toekicks? I'm dying to see what colour this will all end up!

o

Nancy, your guy sounds like he could really help on the corner stain issue. Maybe the corners were sealed more to get an even overall coverage.

Looks great.

o

Yes, Trance, we are making good progress, but I am falling behind! I need to get going on staining the door and drawer fronts so I can catch up with Jim. He really is a joy to work with, creative and honest in his assessments when I am going off the deep end, without stifling my "creative" side. I am not really changing the color of the cabs at all, it will be re-stained the same color it is now. So I am "refreshing " them.

Emagineer, yes, you would think that Jim would be help on the issue of applying the stain, but he HATES doing staining and has no advice for getting it to stick. He thinks the problems is related to the wood having been finished already, and the end grain wood soaked up the old finish and it is now preventing the new stain from sticking. I think I will just use my "blot it on and let it dry, then do a second, nicer coat" technique.

o

Nancy, the progress sounds so exciting!! And so nice that you can get better quality (Jim's work) for a better price. Can't wait to see the update pics.

o

More progress today!

I got the toekicks poly'd three coats. Here is a pic for TranceGeminiWA:

Trance, go to the next image after the picture in the clicky below for a close-up. Anyone who wants to read the long captions I just wrote can go to the link below and see all of the pictures of our most recent progress, along with my long descriptions.

And for everybody who might still be following our kitchen's transformation, here is what happened this week...
First, appliances in place and a bookshelf!

Then the corner cab!

And here is the planned backsplash design:

We removed the rest of the cabinet doors tonight, taped off for staining, sanded down the cab boxes, and sealed off the air conditioning vents and cold air return. Tomorrow we will stain all of the cabinets in the kitchen, then go out to the garage and get going on the 20 drawer fronts (4 made by Jim) and the uncounted doors.

I just counted, there are 28 doors that are not part of the ones I did before they were installed. Those cabs are still in the back bedroom and will go in last. Jim and I are talking about maybe not using them. He thinks they might make it feel crowded in the kitchen. We may move them in tomorrow and live with them for the weekend to see. They would be against the wall that you see in the first picture in this post, the one with the toe kicks on the island. The 5 ft of cabs would be centered between the doorway you see in the picture and the ramp which is to the far right. There would be 5 ft of wall cabs sitting on the floor (actually on a platform to make a toe kick) between the doorway to the hall and the ramp to the far right, with more wall cabs above. They are all 14 inches deep, with the countertop included.

o

Suggestion on your backsplash. Carefully use a thin coat of sealer on the front of tile. This type of tile absorbs the grout and is very difficult to clean off. From one who experienced the event...backsplash is same type of tile.

o

Hi, Nancy, couldn't find the clicky, so I scrolled up until I found a post with one. Great pictures--the bookshelf will be so nice. I love the two rows of rope trim! With the other tile bordering it, it looks smaller--everything looks great together. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the island.

o

thanks nancy, they look great! and how sexy does it all look with the new lighting! The wall colour looks gorgeous under the lighting too. Those doors are going to keep you busy over the next few weeks arent they, but it will be so worth all the work you're putting in. great work

o

Wow, it looks great! You have really been working. I feel like such a sloth, lol. I still love that pullout/spinout, whatever, pantry.

Sometime, would you take a picture of your sink?

o

Thanks Emagineer, I did know that, but I bet that I might have forgotten to do it in the anxiety of doing my first tile job by myself. Good catch, I really, really appreciate the reminder!

Mama Goose, You are right, by the time I did that post, I was falling asleep! I remember trying to re-read the last paragraph to see if it made sense and falling asleep between sentences. I completely forgot the clicky! Here it is, in this post.

Now that I am awake, I see that the last paragraph is confusing. Let me clear it up. There are 28 doors in the parts of the kitchen seen in these pictures. There are four cabs and two shelves that are not yet installed, and the staining touch-up and first two coats of poly are done on those. They are still in the back bedroom. If we do use them, they will go on the wall that you can see in the toe kick pic, between the doorway to the hall, and the ramp to the family room, which is off to the right of the wall plug seen in the toe kick pic. Those cabs would be five feet long, but the bottom cabs are only 14" deep, including the counter top because they are actually wall cabs that I would be using as base cabs. The those two cabs are the 30" wall cabs seen on either side of the kitchen window in the pic from the house the kitchen came from:

The other cabs that would be above them as wall cabs are in this picture:

The shelf, 16" wall cab, and the microwave cab, plus a matching shelf that Jim would make for the right side would make up the cabs above the two 30" cabs used as base cabs.

There are captions under the pics at the pbase site if you want to read them, and you can get there with the clikcky below, just keep hitting the "next" button.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clicky that starts with the toekicks.

o

I just noticed something else. In this picture, there is a vent for the refrigerator. Is it connected to a fan?

o

I clicked on the toe kick supposed to start, and it was only the wood strips laid out, and it would not go to any other places. I do not know what is going on. But GWeb is acting funny today.

Is that last picture above with the red tile floor in YOUR kitchen, or is it the old kitchen you bought? Anyway, I like the island bar with the corbel braces below the counter. I wish I could get a countertop bar like that. sigh.....

o

ML, no, you are right, I did not have the clicky go to the Pbase site. I am so used to copying the picture location into the HTML code for putting pics in the text that I forgot to switch over to doing the good ole' webpage link!

Marti, no, the grill was in the cabinet from the previous owner of the cabs. I just left it there. There is another in the old microwave cab that I may make into a charging station. It just lets air circulate around the fridge, I guess.

Marti, I went and got the Modern Masters metallic paints that you recommended for the molding around the island top. It turns out that the color to match my backsplash liners is a gold mixed with a black, then the black glaze afterward. My molding is not here yet, so I probably won't get to that until next weekend.

We just spent several hours staining the cab boxes in the kitchen. I am on a break, then I will go stain the oak box covering the slant, and we will be done for the night. Tomorrow - three coats of polyurethane (maybe).

We opened our skylight to vent the stain fumes today. It is the first time I have used it. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: This clicky should work!

o
other part of ML's question:

Oops! Did not finish reading ML's note. Yes, the two kitchen pictures that show my cabs in a room with no soffits, but with a terra cotta floor are the home that first had the cabs, before they sent them to the "old cabinet 'pound" and I found them on "cabfinder" and adopted them from out of state - tee hee!

o

Oh I see. It fits your refrigerator perfectly too. Wonder where I could get a grill like that? I want to bring my upper cabinets down and forward to the top of my fridge like that.

o

Marti, we just brought the cab out like that without a grill on our last new kitchen. It was the perfect place to put brown grocery bags holding the newspapers for recycling.
Jim hung the cab from the back, ceiling, and side. He jumped up grabbed the cab, and swung from it to show me how solid it was connected.

Here is a link that might be useful: My old new kitchen

o

You have done so much since I have been able to catch up. Looks Wonderful!!! Fun to see the kitchen in it's first home and now in yours. I like your kitchen better. TOTALLY loving your back splash. good call emagineer on the sealing the tiles first.

Chris

o
A poll.....

Is this thread getting too long to load? Should I start a new one? I have no problems, but I know that if it takes a minute to load on my cable internet,any of you on dial up will find it not worth the wait.

On the other hand, it is nice to have it all in one place.

What do you think?

o

Nancy, in your last new kitchen, did you just pull the old cabinet forward or did you build a new, deeper one and use the old doors - over the fridge? I'm thinking build a new one so I can use the full depth.

o

Marti, we used the full depth. All of the cabinets were new there. Everything was new there, from the walls out.

I have not forgotten the sink pic request. It needs a good scrub with Bon Ami,and that won't happen until we put away the polyurethane and fans.

o

the island is in and has a top. Tomorrow the top gets attached and we tile it. I got the trim for the perimeter of the island today and I am priming it with spray paint. IF DH ever gets home from Lowes and Target, I will paint it. I also have to stain a toe kick today.

The flooring guy was out yesterday and he wants $4700 to pull up the carpet in the family room, screw down the squeaky floor, put quarter inch plywood down over the subfloor, and lay Marmoleum in the kitchen and family room. seems high to me... Pictures tomorrow or the next day!

o

how much would the Marmoleum be by itself? just the product... then you might call someone else and ask what they'd charge to rip up carpet and put plywood down.

o

Hi steph, how is it to look out the window and see your HOUSE? so cool, I am happy for you.

Marmoleum is a different product. It is made the same way it was 100 years ago, on big racks in the drying rooms. This way of drying makes the linoleum have humps in it. It takes a specially trained technician to install it properly. So even if you do buy it without the install price included , you still have to pay the install guy. There only one certified installer in the metro area, I guess.

o

My vote: Start a new thread with the new island. :)

And include a link to the original.

o

Nancy, if you have a can of Bon Ami there, could you read on it and tell me the manufacturer or distributor, and if there is a website or phone number listed on the can?

I can't find it in stores here anymore but the local hardware store told me they can order it if I can find out where.

o

nancy - it's great! the first morning tho I forgot about it being there and was confused not to see the sky out my window! I was half asleep still (still in bed) - my curtain in the bedroom is always partially pulled back.

if you know the cost of the product - and the price of it being put down then you'll know what you are being charged for the carpet pull up and plywood. maybe someone could do it for a better price (the carpet and plywood).

I'm sure you'll love it with the carpet out - that's what I'm hoping to do. depends on the prices tho.

o

Marti, I misspoke. I had Barkeeper's friend, not Bon Ami. But I do have a site for you, they have a dealer locator.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bon Ami site

o

Thanks Nancy! I did a search one time and never found that.

o

Okay, I am moving to a new thread, "Kitchen remodel almost done' and I have photos of the new island!

Here is a link that might be useful: New Island, going forward. Watch deconstruction going backward!

o

I suppose a spammer bumped this up since the post above this one is dated 2010. What's spooky is that I was just thinking about nancy's island last night. I want to do something similar with our rear entry cabinet and I was wondering how you attached the edge trim. *insert Twilight Zone music here*

o

Oooh, that is weird! No bump was there, Marti, you brought it up just with your thoughts!

Jim attached the rope trim with a combination of Liquid Nails construction adhesive and trim nails inserted with his pneumatic nailer.

Do da do do ......

o

there was another one bumped up too. I wondered how they get bumped without a new post.

o

I think a moderator probably removed a spam post but by then the thread had been bumped.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here