Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT - Food

Posted by idie2live (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 22:58

I know this is not the cooking forum, but I have a good recipe to share. Quick and easy cleanup. Some of you may have tried variations of it. It was a hit at a meeting we had.

Burger and Veggie Packs

Wheres the beef? Its tucked in a foil packet filled with all kinds of tasty veggies!
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 55 min
Makes: 4 servings

1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups frozen sugar snap peas, carrots, onions and mushrooms (from 1-pound bag)
32 frozen steak fries (from 28-ounce bag)
4 Green Giant Nibblers frozen half-ears corn-on-the-cob
1/2 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend

1. Heat oven to 450. Cut four 18x12-inch sheets of aluminum foil.
2. Mix beef, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend, the onion powder and salt. Shape mixture into 4 patties, about 1/4 inch thick.
3. Place 1 patty on each foil sheet about 2 inches from 12-inch side. Top each with 1/2 cup vegetables and 8 steak fries. Place 1 piece of corn next to each patty. Divide remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend among vegetables. Bring up 2 sides of foil so edges meet. Seal edges, making tight 1/2-inch fold; fold again, allowing space for heat circulation and expansion. Fold other sides to seal.Place packets on large cookie sheet.
4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in center of patties reads 160F. Place packets on plates. To serve, cut large X across top of each packet; carefully fold back foil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT - Food

Loretta, I'm going to send this recipe to DH up in Mass.
He is always looking for something like a casserole to cook.
And he follows a recipe to the letter--unlike MOI, who always generalizes. Thanks, hon. :)

o

OH Sounds Yummy. Tell me more about Garlic pepper. Do you make it up or can a person buy it? Remembering back about 100 years ago there was something in Girl Scouts we used to make like this. What a PERFECT thing to leave for my Joe on days I have to work. This is something good to have handy he could fix to eat. Or make them up for me to cook fast when I get home from work starving. He can drop them in the oven when I am getting close to leaving the office.

Thanks Loretta!!!

Chris

o

shades, did you call them Hobo meals?

idie, that's what your recipe reminds me of--my years of camping, many times as a Scout mom. I'll bet you could make packets up ahead of time and freeze them, too, for convenience.

o

Mama I think maybe it was something like that. Was a staple for over nights. We all looked forward to making and cooking them and the slightly burned edges. Hehehehe. I AM going to make some of these up for sure. We need to go shopping for the things to add to them and I will do an assembly line of half a dozen or so. Hubby will love them ,me too.Read the recipe to him and he said oh yah!!! Lets do it.= ME do it but it can not be too hard.

Thanks again Loretta.

o

Yes, they are the same packs the scouts use on camping trips. Some people use chicken strips instead of beef. The potatoes end up really yummy! If you make the burgers too thick, they will not be well-done in the middle.
Chris, you can buy garlic pepper, but you can substitute any type of seasonings you like.
My friends all say I'm a picky eater, but I do like to try recipes. I'm looking for one with spinach, if anyone has a good one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here