Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommabird_gw

small house...I can dream!

mommabird
14 years ago

I have so many ideas I've cut out of magazines on ways to make a small house "bigger" but no $$ to do them! Here are some of the ideas:

Use unified flooring throughout. The magazine showed a picture of what I have now - different flooring in LR, DR & kitchen as "before" then "after" they had installed ceramic tile in all 3 rooms. It was a amazing- doubled the visual size of the house! I have the laminate flooring I want all picked out - just need $3000 to buy it!

Built-ins. I have articles showing built-in cupboards in the bed room - take one wall, build in floor to ceiling & around the window, with a window seat/bench under the window. Amazing amount of storage and looks great. You can get rid of dresser & chest and the room looks so much bigger.

Book cases. I saw this in a magazine yesterday - 3 walls of the living room are completely built floor to ceiling with bookcases, even over the door. The furniture floats instead of being right against the wall. It looked great for a small living room & added storage.

I already have cabinents all the way to the ceiling in the kitchen (no soffit). The prior owners had them built and they add a ton of storage. I'm very tall so I can use all the shelves.

Use the ceilng for storage. I saw this in a magazine - hooks on the ceiling of the closet to hang boots, purses, etc that aren't being used in the current season. There's a lot of wasted space up there in the top of the closet!

I haven't seen this but can visualize - some type of shelves built over the stairs/ceiling of the stairs going down from 2nd to 1st floor. There is a huge amount of wasted space up there over our heads!

My friend built in shelves inside the studs of the stairs going down into the basement, they are deep enough to store cans. He has a "pantry" in the basement stairway. Mine is plastered over so I can't do it, but if you have exposed studs this is a great idea. I guess I could do this in the garage - it has exposed studs inside.

Does anyone else have ideas to either visually expand or actually find hidden storage in small homes?

Comments (9)