Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
young_gardener54

We have walls!!

young-gardener
11 years ago

We're 7 months into the reno, but I'm pleased to say that we have WALLS. (Who knew drywall could be so exciting!) I'm linking up the latest photos.

What a treat it was to pop by and see everyone else's kitchen renos on SH. It gives me hope!!

Here is a link that might be useful: where we are now

Comments (17)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

that's great! makes it start looking like a real room!

but wait, didn't it say the electrical needs work yet? should drywall be up before that is done?

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No it shouldn't be up yet. They left out half the outlets and had to try to fix it after installing the drywall. They still aren't right. But, with the contractor refusing to come back anytime soon, DH decided to go ahead and paint so he can move on with trim and floors in the meantime. It's a bit of a mess around here. ;)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Oh my young-gardener, that is more stress than I can even imagine. Are you living there with all that going on? How are you keeping you and the baby calm? I've known a couple of people who did a home birth and said it was so much better than going to the hospital. Do you have a midwife to help?

Why isn't your contractor coming back?

We have struggled to get people to come here at all. After we called the electrician and told him that a couple of things didn't pass inspection, he said he had the right stuff with him and would come by the next day or two. That was weeks ago, and after the wedding, dh just did it himself. It was just changing out a few wires and didn't involve the circuit box, and changing out all the exterior boxes. And I've been waiting on the brick layer all day. I think he's a no show too.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I meant to start off with a big congratulations! You not only have walls, but finished walls!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

oh dear. so sorry to hear that!

"We have struggled to get people to come here at all."

same here. they must be too busy looking for work...

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, marti!

Yes, we have been living in the house. It's rather cramped since the cabinets have been in our master bedroom since Nov. We moved into the guest room, along with some displaced furniture and all the nursery stuff (in boxes). That's pretty much the only functional room in the house except for the hall bath...and the tub has been on again/off again since Nov. The master bath is still gutted, and the other rooms of the house are filled with boxes, construction supplies, and displaced furnishings. It's a mess, to say the least. ;)

Keeping calm? Well, I did well with that until, oh....May? Now, I'm just plain worn out and starting to worry that it won't be done in time. We do have a midwife coming for the birth, and I'm *hoping* the kitchen will be done in time for the 37 week home visit she does. Eek! Better hurry!!

DH started a new job this week, so we have no paid time off to put toward finishing things up here. Our childbirth classes are currently eating the weekends. So....we'll see.

Sorry to hear you both are having similar problems! I'll have to tell DH that it's not just us. Maybe that will make him feel a little bit better.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It's not just you. I wish we were close enough to trade off work. I know you want it all done but those child birth classes are rather important as I recall, and I had a C-section. lol

• User
    11 years ago

Youngun, I laughed about the cabs in the bedroom....oh my, that is what we had, only it was lumber for crown molding and Bellawood boxes for the floors!!

You have a lot going on, and I hope it works out nicely. For sure, that baby is not going to wait, the Beach Baby will arrive as surely as the tide comes in and goes out, ready or not!!! What an adventure. What a neat beginning.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ML- I can picture it! We've actually been putting off ordering the floors and trim for lack of space. LOL!

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ML- I can picture it! We've actually been putting off ordering the floors and trim for lack of space. LOL!

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Progress remains slow. The contractor was supposed to return today (after how many months???) to put in the lights in the kitchen and correct a long list of electrical problems. He's a no-show.

But, DH has been hard at work. He started framing out the laundry room window (not done yet) and installing the floors in that room. Tomorrow will be a busy day of more flooring work for him.

9 weeks till baby, if we're lucky....I'm getting anxious!! Hopefully, he can finish up the laundry floors this weekend so we can move on to putting floors down in the kitchen. :)

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Progress remains slow. The contractor was supposed to return today (after how many months???) to put in the lights in the kitchen and correct a long list of electrical problems. He's a no-show.

But, DH has been hard at work. He started framing out the laundry room window (not done yet) and installing the floors in that room. Tomorrow will be a busy day of more flooring work for him.

9 weeks till baby, if we're lucky....I'm getting anxious!! Hopefully, he can finish up the laundry floors this weekend so we can move on to putting floors down in the kitchen. :)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It's looking good. Tell me about your underlayment. Is your subfloor wood?

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

is that your laundry room in the pic?

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

That looks great!!! Hang on mama. I bet you are getting anxious. And in this heat. UGH

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

How hot is it up there Chris? We're having a cool spell compared to the rest of the midwest. We've been hanging just under 100 all week.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The subfloor is wood, and DH put down a somewhat cushiony underlayment from Lowes (or HD???). He was told it would help with squeaking....but I don't see how that can be. It's called Black Jack Floating Floor Underlayment. However, we didn't install floating floors, so....I hope it's the right stuff. :) The floors are utility grade oak (el cheapo) from Lumber Liquidators. I went with grade 2 because it looked like it would blend better with the old floors in our home. They've had a rough life, even though we refinished them.

Yeah, that's my new laundry room. I'm super excited to finally have one, but now that it's starting to come together, it's a little sad that it won't be a "real room." THe space gets wonderful light. On the right, there will be a cleaning pantry, cabinets, sink, washer/dryer. The nook will be a built in unit (made by me if I get my act in gear). On the window wall I'll have a sewing station. And, on the wall you can't see (perp. to the door) will be a place to hang coats/take off your shoes.

I'm hoping that we will start using this room as our everyday entry, even though it means walking a little farther. It would really cut down on the mess in the house, I think.

Anxious? YOU BET! The baby hasn't been causing any problems (a slow grower up until just this week), but I'm anxious to have this kitchen done so I can feel settled (and start a nursery!) before our little one arrives. The reno has uprooted the whole house, and I'm ready for things to get back to normal so I can enjoy our little family. :)

(You're right, Shades, the heat is killer....especially here in Atlanta! Whew!!!)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations