Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cece1121

Newbie in need of kitchen backsplash, paint, faucet help!!

cece1121
12 years ago

I posted on the kitchens forum as well...My kitchen reno is about 85% complete...one cabinet is yet to be installed (wrong size ordered), and the backsplash, painting, and hanging of ceiling fixtures (a pendant over the sink and a chandy over the table) are imminent.

After looking at Finished kitchens blog I'm thinking of a backsplash with 4x4 Jerusalem Gold stones with some quartzite inserts (7/8 x 7/8) on a diagonal but I am looking for any suggestions that might work well with peacock green granite and my sable colored cabinets.

I had also planned on painting a yellow or goldish tone but after sampling, I'm leaning towards a cream color like BM Rich Cream or Desert Tan. Would love any suggestions!

Lastly, I'm not liking the size of my new faucet!

Perhaps this is all an adjustment, but it looks overpowering for my small sink size (27" sink cabinet). Would appreciate your viewing my pics and providing any input! This is a wonderful site! Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

I am not good at paint choices. BUT I am not really fond of the gold colors. If you are going to use those back splash tiles I would go with more of a tan wall color.

Your new kitchen is lovely. I like the faucet. I would love to have a tall faucet and hopefully will have one soon.

• User
    12 years ago

I like the faucet. I have one similar, and it is great in my single stainless sink, gives me plenty of room to pull out the spigot/hose and wash down everything big all around, with room under the faucet to turn big pots to wash their exteriors too. Since you have a high back splash beneath the window sill, that faucet does not look too big at all. I think you made a good choice.

Now, on the paint color. I have no further suggestions since I cannot see the precise colors on my monitor, but I can tell you that I like the softer tan color better than the darker yellow/gold. It fits very well with the backsplash tiles shown beneath it. The sample color I am going by is the one next to the window frame woodwork.

Love your cabinet color, and the crown molding is fantastic with it. Hope you give us a link to your finished kitchen.

Those backsplash tiles remind me of the Italian porcelain that we got from Lowes, sort of a tumbled marble look, but very soft in color. The porcelain is highly durable too.

Great job.

• cece1121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shades of Idaho and Moccasinlanding...thank you both for your input....I'm thinking that the faucet might grow on me....everything is such a big change from my old, 40 year old kitchen!! I will probably end up painting tan and add some color with my window treatments.
    Moccasinlanding....I'd love to see your Italian porcelain tiles from Lowes if you have a picture. Thanks again!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Do you have a link to the tile/stone? I don't know what it is right off hand and I'm too tired to do a search for it. But if it's really gold, I don't think I'd like it with your reddish cabinets.

I do like your faucet, the style works well with your cabinets, appliances & sink.

• zippity1
    12 years ago

i can only tell you about my situation-
    i have wonderful granite-lots of movement and color, my backsplash is wonderful also, travertine
    but the two - while they match- detract from one another
    i wish i had chosen a less distracting backsplash

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

cece now you will see why I hesitated to answer you. This is a small sample of the mosaic back splash I am going to do in our kitchen. LOL Crazy one I am.There is nothing conservative in my tastes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample back splash piece.

• User
    12 years ago

Okay, I will give you the Italian porcelain tiles. But not used in the kitchen....YET. Our kitchen will be done next winter, with wooden floors in the kitchen. The tile I used is a couple of colors from the same Italian porcelain line sold at Lowes.

First we put down the 12 x 12 unglazed tiles in Roman Salmon (a terra cotta color that is sort of mottled and the color of clay flower pots). That was done on the sun porch, and it looks great. I also had them do the new second bath with these tiles in 16 x 16 size in the shower and on the floor outside the shower. The shower floor was done with the 1/2" mixed color mosaic of this same brand, to keep from having a slippery floor, and one which can slope toward the drain.

Then we decided to use the same product in the color Rialto Blanco, a little off white/gray/tan color, very much like your 4 x 4 tiles along the back splash. Only these were the 16 x 16 tiles and we put them in the master closet.

Then as part of the master bath, I wanted the 2 x 2 mosaic tiles in the Rialto Blanco color again, but these are mounted on 12 x 12 mesh. The smaller tiles keep the floor from being slippery. And these are the ones which appear like tumbled marble. And I absolutely love them for that use. They do not look "perfect" but have a tumbled appearance which goes well with my desire for an "old" look.
    It might not work for you, with your really elegant kitchen cabinets and granite countertops.

I'm thinking that above your 4 x 4 border of tiles, kept fairly plain, I'd look for something in an iridescent mosaic that would compliment your dark countertop. Just a band of it, or maybe something to echo your crown molding along the top of your cabinets. They make a rope cap that is about 1" wide and maybe 6" long, stands out more than the 4" tiles do. Or, perhaps you get the 6 x 6 tiles and put a cap on them which could be high enough behind your faucet that no water would splash up there and damage the wall? With your window higher behind the sink, that would split that distance pretty nicely.

Anyway, I get sidetracked with ideas. Sorry. And here are the pictures of the tiles in my place.

Master bath floor tiles 2 x 2 Rialto Blanco porcelain mosaic

Master closet..16 x 16 Rialto Blanco porcelain

Small bath shower 16 x 16 Roman Salmon porcelain tile on walls of shower, and on bath floor outside shower...

...same bath also showing the 1/2" mosaic on shower floor

and the sun porch floor with 12 x 12 Roman Salmon

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA