Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntlavender_gw

curb appeal, I need more than snap....I want crackle and pop too!

auntlavender
14 years ago

I would like to snazz up the front of my house. I want to pick a new color for window trim and also the porch railings and front door. Obviously the window boxes are an eyesore. There is no way we can replace the asphalt siding this year---but I'm willing to do a lot of grunt work to make it look great. Please feel free to recommend away.

Curb Appeal 6/2/09 10:01 AM

Here is a link that might be useful: Please turn this sow's ear into a silk purse!

Comments (9)

• auntlavender
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought the shape of this conical hanging basket would echo the cones (right-side up and up-side down) on the iron porch railings and also the turret....am I nuts?
    {{!gwi}}From Curb Appeal 6/2/09 10:01 AM

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

I think it's a great house and great landscaping. Try to think of its strengths, not weaknesses.
    A very effective yet relatively cheap thing would be to add a little color. Alot of those old homes had an additional color added to the gray and white in the window framing detail, like a red would look great with gray. Perhaps a yellow, or a royal blue. Search IMAGES on the web for ideas.

• auntlavender
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The asphalt siding does have a very faint brink red as well as a green. Since our roof and gutters are green I'd rather not do green. Could you please explain more about the additional color in the window framing detail? Where would it be exactly?

Do you think a brick red for the trim around the windows and perhaps the ironwork and then a different color for the door?

I did google images of asphalt siding but I didn't find anything original or in good repair. Everything was about getting rid of it.

Thanks for the input!

• auntlavender
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The trim is currently CREAM. It just doesn't work.

Does staining the cement on the porch make sense?

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Oh, what a darling home you have! I love your landscaping, and the vintage touches. I just can't get enough of old charmers like yours, and would love it if you'd join us over on the Home Decorating forum and perhaps share some interior pics of your home as well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Dec

• auntlavender
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will gladly join you but the interior is not so great! The landscaping is so great because I'm overwhelmed by the inside----we've made no improvements except the new roof since we've moved in 5 years ago! I will cross post over in HD forum! Thank you for the invite.

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

Brick red isn't as bright as a true red, as in fire engine. Green wouldn't add much. Yellow would look nice, Royal blue goes good with gray, but if theres a green tone around, I wouldn't recommend it. Either red or yellow. My idea is like a 3/4" band around the windows, placed according to taste. The complete door would be done too. I encourage you to search on Victorian Houses, you should see alot of what I'm talking about.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

I painted the trim on our last house a Wild Berry Color. Was so much fun and would look great with your color bricks from the colors showing up in my monitor. This is the house we had it on and it was white. Still this wild berry works with a gray and greens and was fun and exciting to see.

Sorry I do not seem to have a better picture of the color of that house but you can get an idea. AND the house even looks a little gray in the picture.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• ronbre
    14 years ago

I think your house is adorable..but as a designer i would make one suggestion that would really make it pop.
    I would beef up those front porch posts..maybe even use a little gingerbread in white..and add some beautiful turned wood railings..also in white..it would be a fairly inexpensive fix and it would really be wonderful..i went to your other pictures and they are really pretty..you should be proud of what you have done