Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon620

Small house... siding color help please

sharon620
13 years ago

Hello

I have a small shaker style house. I wish it were older but is is only 22 yrs old. The reason I had to re-side it is because the first time it sided, it faded. The next time they never put the wrapping underneath it. Living in the Northeast it is a must.

Well we recently had alot of damage done to our walls up and downstairs and had to take the siding off and this is how we found out. (Long story)

We are taking the siding off to wrap the house with outdoor foam board (not sure of the name) and the wrap. My contractor said if the guy that sided it didn't use the right materials underneath, most likely he didn't do the siding right. He suggested at this time we re-do the siding while it's off.

OK, if we do the siding. Giving my the front and back of my house is just a ^ frame. What color would you go with? My windows are trimmed in white.

Thank you

Sharon

Comments (11)

• idie2live
    13 years ago

Hi Sharon, welcome to small homes!

I'm sure someone else wil answer, but in the meantime...

I know nothing about siding, but I recently read a post on the decorating board about siding colors. There were nice pictures posted and someone mentioned a website where you could download your picture and try different colors on your house.

Here's a link

Here is a link that might be useful: Siding discussion and pictures

• User
    13 years ago

Great link, Idie!
    Hope Sharon comes back and shows some pics, because I could not figure out what the house looks like. But my personal preference is for a nice tan with white trim, black shutters, and a red door. Looks so New England to me. :)

• emagineer
    13 years ago

That is definitely a great post. One of the things you can do is find a newer development using vinyl siding(if one is close to you) and drive around to see what colors have been used. The post has great colors shown, I actually like the green.

Color may depend too on your neighborhood. I'd think a darker color on an A Frame would be a good choice. But this depends upon your roof color too. Know this is an expensive and important decision for you.

Hope you get some answers from us that will help.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

I was looking at the Home Depot ad and they showed "shingles" available along with the standard vinyl siding. Something to think about in the future for restoration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Shingles

• idie2live
    13 years ago

Emagineer, I love the look of shingled houses. I have often wished I was young enough to take on the challenge of an older home. Brick houses are practical (not a lot of painting and exterior upkeep), but they don't always have a lot of character (or maybe its just mine).

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks for that link, Emagineer! I sent the link to my DH since we will need to get some siding to match or coordinate with the stucco exterior of our house when the bathtub and closet bumpout are finally built.

I love the hardi plank stuff. Before we bought this house, we saw a lapside house which looked fantastic and it was done in the hardiplank lapsiding. Someone beat us to an offer the day we saw the house.

• pamelas_kitchen
    13 years ago

I happened to be looking at GW and saw this link to my old thread. We ended up going with Certainteed vinyl shingles in the color of one of the posters on that thread, natural clay. We are currently a work in progress. The colors are not true--the color is warmer than it appears here.

From Siding
    From Siding

• idie2live
    13 years ago

Hi Pam, I read both of your postings about your house. You made an excellent choice. I love the shingle look. It has such an authintic look (very appropriate).
    Loretta

• pamelas_kitchen
    13 years ago

Thank you Loretta! It was quite a process and at least three forums on GardenWeb proved invaluable.

• User
    13 years ago

You are right, Loretta, this is a great color and texture for this house. Cannot wait to see Pam's finished photos.

Pam, please do not forget to come back and post. Even if you cannot find THIS thread, we'll know.

• pamelas_kitchen
    13 years ago

Thank you moccasinlanding! I will come back and show pictures if it ever stops raining here and they are able to finish the house (just don't tell the Old House forum I went with vinyl. That is a very unpopular decision over there).

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor