Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackchamois

Hearth or no Hearth

blackchamois
11 years ago

Along with my kitchen remodel, I am also redoing my fireplace - new mantel, tile surround, (and hearth, I think).

I need to decide:

A)whether or not to put in a hearth. I think by code it is required (I live in So Cal), but I am not doing an inspection, so I don't know if that matters. I have to figure out the hearth because I am told the floors need to be installed after ... and the kitchen cabs can't go in until the floor goes down. So a lot is riding on this hearth decision.

B)fireplace design. Some ideas below. Feedback is welcome!

C)Material choices. Any less expensive alternatives?

This was my old fireplace so you can see a bit of the room size.

This is one option, but I think the double stack is too much for the room. (What do you think?)

Of these two, I like Opt 2

Here is another option

Some material choices. These are the floors I will be installing. I really like the mini brick (but it is VERY expensive ... I would love to find a less expensive alternative if possible.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration fireplace

Comments (15)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I think both of the double ones would be to heavy for the room.
    I like the 2nd one of the next set and the last one.

Are you replacing the flooring thru the LR and into kitchen with the brick?

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

desertsteph - those are my two faves as well! My explanation of the materials was confusing. The wood shown in the background here will be the floors. The minibrick (Blue Nova .5" x 1") is what I would be considering for the face of the fireplace (inside the mantel), with some 12x12's of the same for the hearth (if I do a hearth). Thoughts?

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I know they are not popular right now, but I like hearths. I like Opt 2 for your room and I like the mini brick too. Wouldn't you know it'd be expensive?

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

'The minibrick (Blue Nova .5" x 1") is what I would be considering for the face of the fireplace (inside the mantel)'

that's not mini, that's micro - lol! i'm not a fan of tiny brick (or tile). I'd probably have to see something done up with brick that small to know for sure.

I forgot to post - I'm for the hearth also.

and on the floor - so glad you aren't changing it all. I think it's beautiful as is.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@desertsteph - LOL I can't argue with that! I never knew they came so small. My inspriration photo IS the .5" x 1" mini brick that I plan to use :) I was able to track down the designer and she told me what stone it was and where to find it. Luckily for me, she is in my same area and the store was local. Unfortunately, it is very expensive ($24 sf for the mini brick!)I would love to find something that would give me the same look ... for less, way less!

Also, thanks for the feedback on the hearth. And I do love my wood floor choice. To answer your earlier question, I will be carrying it into the kitchen (so kitchen, dining, family, entry and hall). My place is so small that I felt doing the same floor throughout would make it a bit more cohesive.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

I have always felt if it is some thing I loved it would be worth the cost to accomplish the project. It is some thing you will look at for a long time, many times a day. It will make you smile knowing you did not have to compromise. From what I can tell it is not that many pieces you will need.

On the other hand I saw 1 by 2 of what looked about the same at Home depot.

There is another one in Marble on mesh that is very pretty.The tiles look small like the ones you posted.

http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Tile-Tile-Natural-Stone-Tile/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar8kZ1z0ziza/R-202814269/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Here is a link that might be useful: One by Two at Home Depot. $8.48

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@shades - Thank you! Going to check those out now! I've estimated that I need about 8sf. I may check to see if the same stone (the Nova Blue) is any less exspensive if I were to pick a different shape (2x4 subway, diamond mosaic, hexagon).

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

shades - you have some beautiful glass work there!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I like your single stack option 2 and definitely do a hearth. If its code, at some point, no hearth will cost you.

Regardless I think it looks a lot better...but no raised hearth.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

I like the mini-brick--we used 1x2 on our surround. It's inexpensive tile (5.00 s.f.) from Lowes, and the hearth is done in a 12x12 in a similar color, that was on clearance sale (.25 s.f., I think.) The oak side panels were another cheap fix--covering two heat-o-later vents on each side.

The hearth is much higher than I would prefer, but it's brick, and not easy to change. Maybe this will help you decide on your tile choice:

shades! Your kitchen tile is gorgeous! I must have missed your reveal pictures. Do you have any pics of the whole kitchen, or at least the whole backsplash?

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@shades - Thanks! I hadn't even thought of checking for leftovers. What a great idea!

@annie - Initially I was leaning toward no hearth, but you are right about the code. I don't want to get caught down the road and end up paying later. Plus I do think the hearth gives it a more finished look.

@mama - I'll see if I can find those tiles at Lowes (the mini brick). Do you know the name/color of the stone, by chance? It looks like it might be a good alternative for me! And I love the price!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I think the ones mama g used look fine! gotta love that price too. love the wood on your fp mama g.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

desertsteph, thank you!

BlackChamois, I've included a link from a local store--not sure if prices are the same in every store--I know that cabinet prices can vary by a few dollars, depending on location.

The flash in the above pic makes the tiles look almost metallic, but they are much warmer IRL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cicerone Noche

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Mama_Goose those tiles are Gorgeous!!!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert