Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

EatRealFood, did you ever paint your oven?

TxMarti
11 years ago

I am in a quandry over my ovens. One is on its last legs and the other has been used very little. But they are both white with white glass fronts, so probably impossible to paint.

Comments (13)

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Auto Body shop might be able to paint them.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Maybe get them powder coated. Not sure how/if the glass comes off. Powder coating I think requires baking. Oh how ironic.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I can't remember what your ovens looked like... can you just replace the door? trim kit for it?

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

No Marti, after the negative comments on GW I gave up on the idea. I feel bad for my magic chef, we love him b/c he cost $160(plus a $100 ignition a few years later) but his color needs pep ! I think he's almond or bisque..Poor Mr. Magic.
    I think you can only paint the areas that don't get hot or you need a custom paint job. I think Shades is right about an auto body shop. I remember reading something on the internet about it but it wasn't worth the moving hassle and $$$$ for this oven for me.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Hi Marti,
    I found "our" question answered...see link :(
    Many people have asked this...

A. I found this on that Stove Bright website. Looks like we all should start shopping for a new unit :

Q: My (oven/gas range/electric range/stovetop) has a glossy porcelain coating which I want to recoat. Will your high-temp paint meet my needs?
    A: No one, to our knowledge, makes such a paint coating. Our high-temp paint product, Stove Bright, is designed to withstand very high temps on woodstoves, steampipes, boilers, etc., but it is not a "porcelain" type product and will not stand up to the demands required of a porcelainized cooking unit. It is not glossy, so food and grease would stick to it and it would not clean up very easily (it is not FDA approved for food contact either). Appliance paint would provide the desired glossiness but probably won't stand up to the heat requirements. There is no good alternative. Reporcelainizing or electro-static epoxy recoating are alternatives (check your Yellow Pages), but have heat limitations around the burners. There has been some success with powder coating (especially the darker colors) but you would have to disassemble your stove for processing. The relative merits of attempting to recoat an older cooking unit (an expensive process) should be compared to the cost of replacing the cooking unit.

Time to burn another receipt,
    I need to order a fridge :( so Mr. Magic stays for now. He roasted chicken wings tonight so looks aside he's not too bad !!!

Here is a link that might be useful: finishing website

• msjay2u
    11 years ago

awwwww :-(

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's too bad. I was hoping you had done it and it worked out great.

I am so mixed on what to do. My white appliances look too stark white next to the darker cabinets to me. But my stainless dw is driving me insane with the finger prints and drips. I absolutely don't want black. My mil has black with dark cabinets and I don't like it either.

I just don't know what to do.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

I completely understand Mrti. Every color affects another until it's an avalanche. You pick one color or stain and then something else looks off...
    Keep the white for now and at some point after you are well rested(you are doing an awful lot of work) look into your options. Some appliances come in "clean steel" which I think doesn't show finger prints. I too prefer white to the black any day.
    In fact I wish I could buy a vintage gas stove in...white LOL.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Marti--Weimans Cleaner/Polish was recommended on another thread to keep stainless looking good. Have you heard of it ?

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

and this:
    Stainless Steel Magic.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

We use Weimans Cleaner on our glass top stove and it is wonderful. I use it about once a month and polish it up good. then against directions I use windex to remove grease or spills after cooking in between time. You can feel when the polish is used up and then I polish it again.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I use Weimans on my glass stove top too. I've never thought of using it on my stainless, but I might give it a shot. Though I doubt it will stop the drips and fingerprints. lol

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Marti mine says for Glass cook tops so I suppose there is one for stainless too. Maybe not the same cleaner but brand name???