Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Narrow dining table?

Posted by themayocynic (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 23:40

Our dining table is 30 or 36 inches wide, and with the sideboard (that we love) and a little coffee bar we made, it can be crowded. I have seen a few tables here and there that are 2 feet wide, but they are not our style. Anyone have an idea where I might find a larger selection?

To throw another wrench in the mix, we're really keen on having a counter height (36" tall) table. I've tried sites that sell pub and restaurant tables, but to meet the criteria, they come with stools instead of chairs and I hate the thought of having to possibly buy another set of chairs.

IKEA used to have a build-your-own table where you pick the legs and the top to match your style, but I'm not seeing anything like that anymore at IKEA or anywhere else. I mentioned possibly making our own table to DH, but with other projects on the list, he didn't want to add another.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Narrow dining table?

Ta-DA!!!!
To the rescue.
Ok. When we made our table, we purchased a set of wrought iron 2" square legs from ROOM AND BOARD.

They are not the cheapest site to purchase from, but they do have quality and some options as well. The legs we chose were 30" high, and the table top we had to place on it was 4 INCHES thick. It was a fat slab of Bolivian mahogany.
I hated to cut it off from the 11 foot x 39 inch wide single piece, but we only needed a 39 inch square table for our dining room. I am using regular teak dining chairs with a 4" cushion on the seats to make the right height for dining.

You have to really LOOK HARD on the site to find the legs sold alone. They also sell the whole table in different sizes with a selection of tops. Some company up in Minnesota manufactures them, and we've been very happy with the Parsons style. I've also purchased two "C" tables from them which can be used like a hospital tray to slide under a bed or a sofa/chair, same manufacturer.

They DO have the option for higher legs to 36", and also
narrower tops, longer tops, and also the option of a table base with NO top if you have your own.

Since we bought our set of individual legs, they've increased the number of options available. While they will be pricey, the quality is excellent and durable.

Go to the main site. Choose DINING and then choose TABLES
and scroll down to PARSONS....a lot of tables, and there is one for LEGS. Not JUST legs, some are the whole support structure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Room And Board

o
RE: Narrow dining table?

Thank you so much ML! I'll let you know if we get something from there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here