Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Where do you keep medications?

TxMarti
11 years ago

In my attempt to put things close to where they are used, I am now looking at medications. Currently they are in my hall closet next to the master bedroom, for no particular reason. Seems like I read somewhere they shouldn't be in the bathroom but I can't remember why. Heat or moisture I guess.

I just closed off one of the laundry doors to see if it will help with the noise in the bedrooms, and found that it really hampers my nightly pill fest because it's a longer walk to the kitchen for a glass of water.

Comments (16)

• msjay2u
    11 years ago

I keep my meds in a basket in the cabinet next to my sink (in the kitchen). My neighbor I noticed also keeps her meds in the same place. I thought I was the only one to keep em in the kitchen

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I keep most of mine in my bedroom - along with a bottle of water. that's probably because that's where I mostly am (in this place). Also because so often I'm in bed when they are needed and sometimes too sick to get up and go to another room to get them.

regular (non prescrip) meds are in my bathroom which is a few feet from my bedroom.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

I also keep mine in the kitchen in a basket in the pantry. I have one of those weekly pill boxes I dish up. Since it is for twice a day meds it lasts me two weeks.I keep the pill box in the drawer where the coffee filters are so every night when I make up the coffee I put the box on the counter so I remember to take my pills.

I only take vitamins in the morning, no prescription meds.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I don't have any prescription meds. The OTC meds, vitamins, etc. are on a shelf in the bathroom linen closet. DH has prescription meds and they are in the linen closet in his bathroom. He goes through once a week and puts them in his little pill organizer, and it lives in the pouch on the side of his lunchbox.

I never thought about not keeping them in the bathroom. But if moisture is the issue, that doesn't really affect our bathroom(s) since the tub/shower is in a separate room from the toilet/sink/closets.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

I keep mine in sight - so I don't forget! I have my few morning pills next to my jewelry box. Last thing I do before leaving for work is decide on jewelry. Pills are right there, so I pocket them on my way out.

Evening pills are currently in a plastic container next to my chair in the Family Room. Can't tell you how many times I started to go to bed without taking them, then saw them and stopped to get them.

My pain med and all of the dog's meds are kept in a safe. A real safe in the wall, hidden behind a mirror. My friend is addicted. If she is having a bad day, watch out, my opiates disappear. She also took the dog's phenobarbital and Tramadol once. Mental illness is a nasty thing. She cannot trust herself and I cannot trust her, so we protect her and we protect our pills by using a safe. I would advise all with "attractive" pills like opiates, muscle relaxants, anxiety meds, and even some other drugs (like phenobarbital, a anti-seizure med) to hide things well, or get a hidden safe.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Nancy so sorry about your friend. So hard on every one. Our best friends son just committed suicide because of his drug and alcohol abuse.So sad.

• kailuamom
    11 years ago

We keep meds in a bucket in the kitchen cabinet. Small bucket for prescriptions, big bucket for OTC and Big bucket for all of the supplements we buy but never end up taking.

We do have abusable meds in a safe in the bedroom. I always forget about those though...

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

Nancy in Mich posted:
    "My pain med and all of the dog's meds are kept in a safe. A real safe in the wall, hidden behind a mirror. My friend is addicted. If she is having a bad day, watch out, my opiates disappear. She also took the dog's phenobarbital and Tramadol once. Mental illness is a nasty thing. She cannot trust herself and I cannot trust her, so we protect her and we protect our pills by using a safe. I would advise all with "attractive" pills like opiates, muscle relaxants, anxiety meds, and even some other drugs (like phenobarbital, a anti-seizure med) to hide things well, or get a hidden safe".

I agree, we had a family member come with a guest one time, and even the cough syrup was gone! She was addicted and we were not warned ahead of time.

We have moved to a different house and have purchased and installed a real wall safe for any paperwork and meds that my family needs to store while visiting and we do not have any drugs at the moment we are taking (like after surgery, etc.). But we have the safe now for anything we want kept private. just makes good sense now that I am aware of such things.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do wonder about some of the friends dd brings home from time to time, and you all have convinced me to put the pain killers in the safe.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

Glad to be a public service!

• oldgardener_2009
    11 years ago

I keep the pills I take before bed are kept on the kitchen counter where I can't help but see them when I turn the lights off at night...that way I can't forget to take them.

The pills I take in the morning are kept in the bathroom where I do my morning routine, that way I don't forget them either. There has never been a problem with moisture with them.

• User
    11 years ago

Well, I have two places.
    My pills are in a drawer in the kitchen. I have to take them before meals morn and night. The insulin pens are beside my computer here, since I take those shots 4 times a day. And I can sit here comfortably and privately while doing it. Hmmm, well another spot as well. I have some skin ointments for rash, and those tubes I keep in the bedside table drawer.

Sort of point of use set up.

Glad you mentioned the safe. I have a wall safe we removed from the house Katrina destroyed. It might be wise to reinstall it here when we do our remodel and add on to the master bedroom. Thanks for reminding me.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

good to see ya back here ML!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A funny story about safes. In dh's business, he comes across a lot of items that people are getting rid of as they remodel. Last year, he visited a job site and there was a huge gun safe sitting on the porch. He asked what they were going to do with it, and in the course of the conversation, dh bought it for $200. We don't have the room for such a safe, so he called his brother, who owns a gun range and he wanted it.

So bil hauled it to his house and put it in the garage, and he rigged it so it can be opened and closed from the inside, and during tornadoes, both he & his wife get in it. The term redneck is almost too refined to describe some of the things bil does. I wouldn't get in a safe and close the door if you paid me a million dollars. Well, maybe a million, but only if dh were on the outside with the key or combination, or whatever it took to open the door. But nothing under a million!

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

Marti, that is too funny. I would imagine that your BIL tested the open-from-the-inside function out several times with his DW on the outside. I wonder, however, if anything could happen to jam the safe door shut during a tornado. And how would anyone know to look inside and save them before they ran out of air? I think I would insist on air holes on at least two sides. Then I would get red spray paint, and on all sides write "Storm Shelter - look inside". And I would also call the municipal office in charge of emergency preparedness and ask if they would make note that at their address, a big gun safe serves as a storm shelter!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

yikes! that would scare me more than a tornado! i'm a big chicken on things like that. I don't even like a ferris wheel. the one time I went on one (in my 20's) it stopped when I was at the top for some reason - for a good amount of time and I'm afraid of heights. Never went on one again. no water tubing, skiing etc for me either.