Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small small kitchen

Posted by msjay2u (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 22:22

Hi all. I have a problem with my kitchen. its just too dang gone small... 8x10 with 2 doorways and windows getting in the way of a good layout.
Photobucket
Problems:
1- no ventilation for cooking and grease gets on the ceiling and the fridge is also now covered in rust spots. also everytime water boils the smoke detectors go off. cabinet over stove is too low to put a vent hood
2- fridge is probably too big for the kitchen

3- not enough cabinet space and no where to keep all my pots and pans
4- kitchen feels like a maze! when my dad comes over I have to move the metal shelves so he can get thru with his wheelchair
Proposed resolutions:
close off the window and move the stove in that spot
lay out the kitchen in a u shape (wall a,b,d with cabinets)
get a smaller fridge
plate rack in place of the two shelves on wall D

tear out paneling and put up drywall

hopefully get a garden window on wall D or sliding windows with no squares on it...just plain clear glass if I can't afford the garden window.

Can someone help with the layout? I have a guy who is going to do custom cabinets for me, all I have to do is come up with the plan.
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

no storage room so everything looks junky, Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

before the renovations 8x10 kitchen, Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Bear in mind the ceiling height is also only 7.5 ft high

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small small kitchen

What is behind the wall, where you have the baker's rack/metal shelves? What about behind the fridge/stove wall?

o

Oh yeah I forgot to tell you the other problem. Part of this house was a log cabin. wall B is logs and wall c is not logs but has a staircase leading to the basement. In other words knocking out walls is out of the question

o

take a look over on kitchens at the new posting of a just finished galley kitchen. awesome storage, skinny fridge etc. It's a tiny kitchen looking big! should give you some ideas.

o

Sorry to be so nosy but I'd like to have more information before venturing an opinion. What is your ceiling height? And can you bump out either of the other two exterior walls? Do you need that many windows and use both doors? Is your dining room behind wall B? Is it bigger than your kitchen? What type foundation do you have?

o

I have one small opinion...If at all possible keep a full size fridge. If you do get a smaller fridge much later in the future you can always fill up the space with a narrow cookbook bookcase or a pull out but once the cabinets are in you can't make the space larger. I wrestled with this decision since my room is 12'x10' (I love Liebherr but not the cost)but decided to keep the fridge space 33 x 72" for a Kitchenaid or Kenmore. Even at this size, which I thought was large, my choices are limited ! It seems like the rest of the country has 36" wide fridges(much too big).

PS--I think the kitchen will look adorable once you figure it out.

o

PLEASE ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS AS POSSIBLE IF IT IS GOING TO HELP ME!!! THATS WHY I AM HERE!!

@desertsteph yes I did like that kitchen...someone posted it in this section as well...I like it but I am no way that organized. all my drawers would be looking like junk drawers in a couple of months...LOL.

@marti8a- ceiling height is on the first photo...83" or 7' (minus an inch). I was thinking of taking out the small window.
No way am I getting rid of the double windows...have my heart set on a garden window there...I could always put a smaller garden window though....maybe a little wider than the sink...hmmmmm thats an idea.
yes I use both doors...no way around that but I did take the doors off so now they are just doorways.

I do not have a dining room.... well I do but I use it as my living room and my living room is now my bedroom and my bedroom is the guest bedroom LOL. My house is only 880 sf so everything had to be shuffled around. I made a one bedroom to a two bedroom.
My foundation is stone with a partial basement...which so happens to be under the kitchen

@eatrealfood- my fridge is 35w x 30d x 69h. way too big for this kitchen! In fact it had to be taken apart to get it in there. I was thinking to get a smaller fridge but not a tiny one and put this one in the basement but now that I think about it...it wont fit thru the doorways so imma have to get rid of it. smh...

and yes I do love Liebherr but I can't afford them right now. the fridge costs the amount of almost my whole project! I wish I could renovate and money was no object!!

o

First off your kitchen is darling with the yellow walls and that valance is so pretty.Love the sunshine.

When you said you had a partial basement it reminded me of a house we looked at years ago where the food pantry was in the basement. I do not think the kitchen was any larger then yours was.

They put a silent butler in the wall and it was so great. You could go down to the pantry and choose your meal and larger cooking pots, say crock pot or roaster whatever, put all in the silent butler and send it up to the kitchen. I know it is a lot up up and down but a person can get used to it.

Here is how I also know that. We had a large walk in 6 by 6 pantry off our mud room. Also down a few steps.Around the corner kind of space. After seeing this other house I also put all our food in the pantry and large cooking pots. I became very organized in going to pantry and gathering what I needed for the meal and bringing , carrying, it up to the kitchen No silent butler. It really was not such a big deal to do.

This would leave you more space in your kitchen area.

Another thought is to put counter across under small window. Probably have to close it off. That other house I spoke about actually had the stove under their side kitchen window. Maybe you could do that with counter on each side. Upper cupboards on each side too. The bad part is it would give you a dead corner or tight corner cabinet and no one needs tight in a small kitchen.Course there are special corner cupboards to deal with that.

o

thank you. this is actually the brightest room in the house!! thats why I want the garden window. I am also thinking of a counter under the small window or blocking it off.

this is the kitchen when I moved in
another kitchen before shot
kitchen before

then I painted it blue which I liked but it looked so small
new fridge old everything else

Here is a photo of something very much like what I want..
I been searching for it all morning then remembered I saved it in photobucket. I got it off here a long time ago

kitchen design inspiration shot
I think this is an Ikea kitchen but I found someone who can do the work for me very reasonably for better quality but at the same price
and yes the basement steps are right behind wall c (at the bottom)

o

OH your inspiration kitchen is Beautiful. Maybe loosing that end window would be worth it to gain so much.

I think I would like the over all room be in lighter tones. you said the blue made it feel so small. This is very formal for a log cabin.Maybe a lighter wood and counter. But it really is so Beautiful.

Remembering fondly our little 800 SQ FT log cabin.

o

I agree on the colors that is common sense BUT the cherry and black looks sooooo classy. but you right dag gone it...okay so I still like the black counters and the black wall and black kick plates. so other than that I am up for suggestions...I really did not want to do a white kitchen but really it is what makes sense. I can live with this

Photobucket

o

YES YES YES Gorgeous.

In the little log cabin I loved so much we put paneling on the walls in the bedrooms. The logs had begun to shift and the walls were curvy. Not that it mattered so much but the cracking on the sheet rock they had put over the logs was impossible to keep after.We bought a thick 1/4 inch real oak veneer paneling LOL and it happened to be dark. Did not come in any other color. I painted the ceilings and window trim and baseboards and door trim bright white before DH put up the paneling. He was totally freaking out with the white. BUT it was so pretty when it was done. The bright white kept the rooms from feeling too closed in. They were fairly large rooms at 12 by 12.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Log Cabin floor plan

o

OH YEAH AND I FORGOT to talk about the butler. that is a good idea and if I could incooperate it in my kitchen that would be great. I can't see how but I will think on that. I actually do have most of my pots and pans in the basement but then I don't want to go down there cause the basement is spooky. I need more cabinets so I don't have to go through that. its not that I do a lot of cooking anyway...LOL

o

Funny you should post that cherry U-shape kitchen. I've been playing around with some ideas during my down times this afternoon, and that's the best use of the space I found too.

I don't know how much you cook, or if you want a dishwasher, or if you'd like a spot to eat in the kitchen. Or even if it is you live alone or how many live in the house. That would make a difference. But you said how you have to move things when your dad came over, so I doodled around with this putting in space-saving ideas and making it wheel chair accessible too. I assume your doors in there are 32"?

I disagree about putting in large appliances, especially if it is just you most of the time. There are refrigerators with separate freezer that are anywhere from 9.2 like this one that are only 24" wide. And gas ranges like this one that are also 24" wide. That would give you an extra linear foot of counter and up to 9 cu. ft of storage.

There are also over the range microwaves that can be vented outside, like this one.

So, some ideas that may help you think of things that will work:

On the wall between the two doors, it looks like you only have a door frame's width to put things without interfering with the wheelchair. Can you take off the paneling/sheetrock and use the space between the studs? That would give you 6 inches or so for shelves floor to ceiling and possibly canned goods.

If you laid out the plan like the cherry kitchen, but pushed the sink to line up under the left window, you could drop down the right side of the counter top, built like a table, so a chair or wheelchair fit under it. If you had a drop down/lift up counter top attached to it, or to the wall, you could have extra prep space (but it would block the door) and you could both sit down there to eat too.

I've got to run, but I'll post some 3d plans if you are interested.

o

I have paneling on all the walls and I did put drywall up in the bathroom but that is part of the addition so I am not sure how drywall will act in the logged rooms...never even thought about that. I painted the paneling in all the rooms cause I could not live with all that brown. Now I am getting to the point where I don't really want to have the paneling up either. here is my floorplan

Photobucket

his office is now the spare bedroom and my office is an iside porch that basically I use for storage :-(

o

posts out of order...keep forgetting I have to review then submit...sorry...its been a long time...
I decided against a dishwasher because I have a septic tank that is pretty old and it can cause some problems. Plus I really don't have many dishes to wash so I really don't miss it. I like the idea of using the stud spaces for small shelves. I always wanted to do that so I guess this would be my chance :-)
My step dad does not come that often for me to convert my kitchen. My concern is that when he does come he will be able to maneuver through. As long as I keep that area clear it should be fine. specially if I put my shelves in the studs.
Next thing I have to think about...I have a fairly new stove... but it is not one of those small stoves and it is not a slide in. Its a regular stove. and its white. I am not sure if I should just sell it for half price and use the money towards a new one or just keep what I have. I am really liking the stainless steel even though when I brought my stove I was totally against using ss appliances. I think the black counter would set off ss appliances

o

Which part is the log cabin? What is your long term plan for the house? Are you there for a long time, or do you plan on selling in the next few years?

If you like the look of the kitchen you posted, I'd say got for it. I think you can blend the rustic appeal of a log cabin with a modern kitchen. Maybe change the stain from a cherry to something without the red tones. And if you like the wood but it's too dark, what about an unfitted look with just a couple of wood pieces and the rest painted, or glazed? Or a wood counter?

If you don't like the paneling, what about a dry wall finish with some texture? Or a smooth finish with the texture in the cabinets or curtains?

I do love your garden window idea. It would make your kitchen seem larger too.

I wouldn't sell a new oven if it were me, but then I'm too frugal to lose money on it. Now if you could sell it for the same as you bought it, that would be great. lol I know what you mean about stainless appliances. I love the way they look, but the fingerprints drive me insane.

In your drawing, where is your front door? Not that it really matters, I'm just curious if it makes any difference.

o
Google images of log cabin modern kitchen

I just found this website. Look at the 4th photo. If you wanted to keep your paneling and add to the rustic look.

After I posted a minute ago, I remembered this blog post by young-gardener. Look at the 9th picture. She said the kitchen was tiny. If you want to know more about it, contact her through her profile page.

o

The front door is in my office (never used) back door is in the laundry room ..next to the kitchen...thats the main entrance.

Let me explain something I had no idea this house was ever a log cabin. My idea when I brought was to gut and change the whole floor plan. what a surprise to find logs. I hate the wood paneling and rustic is not a look for me. I do like country though. with that said I do love that cottage. She says she rented it so I am sure there is no other info on it.
I am so far away from keeping the paneling though. Here is a glimpse of what my office looks like. I put up one of those tin look ceinlings (made out of styrofoam). Painted in my favorite color fuscia...
Photobucket

this is a really old photo of my livingroom. you see the opening? on either side is my main closet LOL and uggggh. (see the drawing for clarification). It no longer looks like this...its just an example of the paneling being painted.
first coat
Since this photo the trim has been painted, the ceiling has been replaced and it is now smooth drywall oh and the couch is not in front of it anymore...

o
log cabin

bedroom and living room (without the closets) are the log cabin part. the closets, the whole back section where the kitchen is and his office were all added on later. The room labeled my office was an open porch then they closed it in with jalousy windows all around and I changed it to picture windows.

o
before painting fuscia

here is how my office looked before being painted fuscia and before I replaced the windows.

my office before

I will have to take a new photo so you can see the big difference in how it looks now...even outside the bushes were all cleared out and there are still trees but it is much nicer now

o

Hi
You could definitely find a nice slim fridge for that spot and if you don't cook much that should work, you can always throw an extra freezer in the basement. Since I don't have a basement I always forget that many people do. I couldn't live with a smaller than 33" fridge and I agree the one you have at 35" is too big.
I'm posting a link to some nice kitchens. You like the dark cherry but that space would look lovely in lighter colors(or yellow w/ cherry cabinets like circuspeanut's) see "budge1's" kitchen blk/white also.
Your kitchen has a lot of positives: sunny, bright, and windows, it's small but I consider that a positive too.

Here is a link that might be useful: white uppers wood lowers

o

If it were my kitchen (I don't cook much myself) I'd get rid of the stove and get a smaller fridge. my fridge is 28" wide and a little over 5' high (they might make taller ones - I did read somewhere that someone got a fridge that is extra skinny but taller than normal). My fridge is plenty big for 1 - it'd be fine for 2 also.

and I'd get a 2 burner cooktop. Then I'd put in a small oven and mw on the wall where you have the baker's rack (after having it built in w/cabs). I would have open shelves built in to it for those 2 ovens. Easier to switch out when they die. I've use a small counter top oven for about 12 yrs (it just died this wk). It's about 13 x 15 or so and back then cost me 100.00.

Photobucket

on the baker's rack wall - you could build in shallow cabs the first foot or so (where the phone is) with doors for food storage (canned goods, bottled items etc). If you want to keep the phone there, that part could be built 'open' to allow for the phone. maybe an outlet there for recharging a cell phone. The few ft to the right on that wall could have cabs that are deeper for the oven/mw. drawers below for storage and upper wall type cabs over the ovens.

sink run - it looks like the sink cab is a bit larger than necessary? If that is changed then the drawers to the right of the sink could be larger (hold more things then).

will post a few ideas on the U kitchen later. too tired right now.

o

If it were my kitchen (I don't cook much myself) I'd get rid of the stove and get a smaller fridge. my fridge is 28" wide and a little over 5' high (they might make taller ones - I did read somewhere that someone got a fridge that is extra skinny but taller than normal). My fridge is plenty big for 1 - it'd be fine for 2 also.

and I'd get a 2 burner cooktop. Then I'd put in a small oven and mw on the wall where you have the baker's rack (after having it built in w/cabs). I would have open shelves built in to it for those 2 ovens. Easier to switch out when they die. I've use a small counter top oven for about 12 yrs (it just died this wk). It's about 13 x 15 or so and back then cost me 100.00.

Photobucket

on the baker's rack wall - you could build in shallow cabs the first foot or so (where the phone is) with doors for food storage (canned goods, bottled items etc). If you want to keep the phone there, that part could be built 'open' to allow for the phone. maybe an outlet there for recharging a cell phone. The few ft to the right on that wall could have cabs that are deeper for the oven/mw. drawers below for storage and upper wall type cabs over the ovens.

sink run - it looks like the sink cab is a bit larger than necessary? If that is changed then the drawers to the right of the sink could be larger (hold more things then).

will post a few ideas on the U kitchen later. too tired right now.

o

I love your inspiration photo for your kitchen. And you did great using that kitchen up to now, you have it holding a lot of stuff and still have it decorated!

I think the low profile stove is a great idea and the fridge moved out from that corner. By making a U shaped kitchen, I know there will be deep corner base cabinets you will have to reach into, but not as spooky as the basement for storage! You would gain some counter space.

Can you incorporate any space from the laundry room for pot storage as well? The pots you use less of. I downsized the pots I had in my larger home, I do cook, but a lot of my pans just were not getting used, now I have more room for the ones I do use. They have sets of pans now that fit inside one another better when being stored, that is another option.

Good luck with your project, and having a 'custom' person do your custom kitchen is such a FIND, such a treasure, lucky you!

Can't wait to see this project's progress!

o

What a surprise that must have been to discover the logs in the walls! How did you make that discovery?

I just had another thought. Could you flip the kitchen and laundry room?

I like mary ruth's suggestion about putting some things in the laundry room. I do that with my big baking dishes and canner.

o

@desertsteph- the only reason I am still in this house is because of how the market nose-dived but no matter if I stay here or not I have to think of this house as an investment that I might sell one day aand if I don't get a return on my investment at least break even. Having said that, I know tiny fridge and a 2 burner stove would be a deterrent to me selling the house for sure! Also I do cook occasionally and I think a 2 burner stove would turn me off.Also I hate to reject another of your ideas but the wall with the bakers rack is my traffic lane. Having built in shelves there no matter how shallow would really cramp things up and no way I would be able to maneuver a wheel chair through there. That is the wall that I would like to add the shelves in between the studs though. The doorways can't be moved.

@eatrealfood- I am thinking hard on putting a freezer in my basement. the only reason I have such a large fridge is because the ice-maker steals so much room in those double door fridge/freezers. I got it big to compensate for that and I still can't fit all my frozen food in it. See even though i don't cook much I still shop like I do.... If I get a separate freezer then a smaller fridge.... say 30" would probably be perfect. see link for the ideal but unaffordable fridge for me...

@Mary-Ruth- reaching in there? no too scary for that. will HAVE to get a rotating shelf (lazy susan). I am too much of a chicken to reach my arm that far in a dark low spot like that LOL. I do have some pots in the laundry room but I am planning on getting rid of some pots. I tried to give to my daughter but she said she don't need any pots. My pots are good pots hers are family dollar types and she doesn't get the point about the quality. her pots are blue and match her kitchen and that's all that counts to her LOL and SMH.
(where did I go wrong)

@Marti8a- yes it was. I was painting and I removed a dummy vent cover. I wondered why my doorways were 12" deep. The inspector had no idea...
LOGS CLOSER UP

a visit to my neighbor confirmed and also got the history of the house. very interesting.
I thought about flipping the kitchen and the laundry room but one day I am planning on adding a second story and that is where my staircase is going to be.

also

@eatrealfood- I love some of those kitchens. Tonight I am going to study the photos and probably borrow some ideas.

Thanks everyone!!

Here is a link that might be useful: if dreams would come tru

o

I wonder why the sellers didn't disclose that? Do log homes sell well in your area? I have a friend in Missouri who lives in a log home and they are very desirable there.

Looks like you've got a good long term plan for your home, and the U-shape kitchen is probably the best use of your space. Your living room looks really big too. Do you have a table in there?

Yes, if you plan on selling I'd put in full size, or close to it, appliances. I know what you mean about the ice maker. They take up so much room, especially if they are through the door.

Would it be hard to get a freezer into the basement? Basements aren't common where I live but my daughter has one and it was quite an ordeal to get her washer and dryer down there. She sold them with the house rather than try to get them out. lol

o
Did you see this post on the Kitchen's forum?

It looks like her kitchen isn't as wide as yours and she sure packed a lot into it. A dishwasher is a good selling point too.

Post here.

o

how did I manage to post that reply twice? it isn't that easy to do on here!

my fridge isn't tiny. it is higher than 5' (I'm that high). I checked when i went to get ice. it's probably at least 66" high (maybe a few inches more). no ice maker in it.

here's 2 pics of the corner storage in a tiny kitchen (from kitchen forum). it might have been posted there under something to do with 'tiny kitchen'. I don't remember exactly. I couldn't find it by googling but did have these 2 saved to a cabinet folder on my computer.
She had this made for her corner.

also, they have lights for in cabinets. and in drawers!

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

so let me get this straight the shelves on the right slide to the left and the quarter round swings out? I am very interested in knowing how that is built and how that works full of items. I like it.
I do not have a table in the living room and have been trying to figure out how to get one in here. I have my living room set I brought a year before I moved here. It has couch. loveseat, chair, ottman, 2 end tables. no way would all this fit in the livingroom.

now that I am over the anger of having too much furniture I will get to that soon as I finish my kitchen.

okay so what is the order of things to be done so it works out right? It is going to be at least 4 months before I have all the money but I have half of it now. Certain things can eat up my budget immediately and put a halt to the project till I get the rest of the money but I rather do things in the right order than to have everything and have to rework cause it was done out of order.

What I need:

garden window installed in the kitchen and possibly making the space smaller
close off one window and seal
redo the exterior wall (and I have abestos siding so its going to be tricky to match it)
remove all the paneling in the kitchen
remove the top off the base cabinets
take down the wall cabinets
have more electrical outlet put in the kitchen
do I have to put in special outlets for the gas stove and fridge?
convert the fuse box into a circuit breaker box
put up drywall
have new cabinets built
put in recessed lights
install outside ventilation (over the stove)
move the gas line to the new stove location
move the water line to the new fridge location
remove the fridge (which has to be taken apart to move out of the house)
paint
buy new stove, fridge, counter top, sink
take up old and put down new floor

and you are familiar with my project did i forget anything?

o

Do you need to take up flooring?

o

Hi MsJay2U,
I have not had time to study this thread well, nor the photos and sites that were posted for you. I do have a few ideas for you to consider adding to your plan, though.

1. Counter-depth fridge. In a kitchen so small, it is worth the extra money.

2. Think about using shallow cabinets on the back wall of the U, the one with the small window. It gives you more floorspace, but you don't really lose all that much storage if you do 18" deep cabs and counters on that side. You can use these cabs like pantry shelves and you won't "lose" things in the back, and can see right in to get things.

3. spend a few hours on the Rev-a-Shelf site. They make all kinds of contraptions that can make the kitchen work better for you.

4. You might want to consider putting those horizontal Ikea-like wall cabs that have flip-up doors up high on the fourth wall. Up under the ceiling. They will act like soffits, but will have storage space. You will need a little stool to get to them, but it gives you storage without having the wheelchair bump into them.

5. How about a chest freezer in the laundry room?

6. Remember, you can put plate racks right in front of the windows. See Moccasin Landing's inspiration photos, she has a picture of this. ML - where are you?

Below is a link to a photo of my 14" deep counter area. I used two 30" wall cabs as base cabs. My carpenter put them on a toe-kick, then threw a counter on them. They are very accessible. Plus, if you make the small window your garden window, it will be easier to reach into over an 18" deep counter rather than a traditional 25" one. I have heard people say that they can't GET to their garden windows over the sink!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nancy's Kitchen

o

@Marti8a- yes that is the last thing on the list. I actually have hardwood under two layers of linoleum. I am thinking of having the floors sanded and then pouring polyurethane on the floor. The result is a highly polished floor that is not slippery and makes the wood look BEAUTIFUL. If the floor is in bad condition then I will put some wood look linoleum down :-(

o

Hi Nancy,
its hard to catch up on a thread once it gets long like this one did. I know cause I see other threads and think this is just too much to read and I just look at the photos and spot read. Having said that my responses:
1- the counter depth fridge is on my list
2- can't do that because I need room for wheelchair to be able to get thru
3- rev a shelf has some really good ideas. I plan on studying it but I might buy from someone else once I know what I want cause they are expensive!! One lazy susan costs over $1k!! Good ideas in one place though.
4. my ceiling height is only 7' but I have thought about the possibility of raising the ceiling
5- gonna put the chest freezer in the basement. My laundry room is totally unorganized and yucky and its the first place you see but again I brought things too big for this house (front loading dryer on stand) and I have my dog crate in there and a built in shelf that holds all my toilet tissue, paper towels, recipe books, and extra kitchen stuff.

I searched for Moccasin Landing's thread and OMG I found a thread she had been commenting on that belongs to Momma_goose and her kitchen has the same exact feel I was hoping for. I am up for work and I have taken the last hour looking at just the photos in her thread and responding to this. I am definitely going to study her thread later on and that range hood OMG to die for!! Did see a good counter routing idea in there also. Momma_goose thread is here http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/smallerhomes/msg1020501317030.html (I put that there so I can find it again)

I still haven't found the plate rack photo. I did also go thru your kitchen album and you had a few ideas I really love also like the trim on tour cabinets and the glass you have in front of your window.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rev a shelf website

o

'Think about using shallow cabinets on the back wall of the U, the one with the small window. It gives you more floorspace, but you don't really lose all that much storage if you do 18" deep cabs and counters on that side. You can use these cabs like pantry shelves and you won't "lose" things in the back, and can see right in to get things.'

YES! this was on my list to post for the U. and keep the window there. I was thinking about 15" depth there. the cabs under it w/doors would be shallow, like a pantry area for you. Would keep the U more open and spacious. The bottom shelf there might be a good place to use for any often used tall items like a tall pot.

On the left wall you'd have - doorway, fridge, countertop space, stove, a smidgeon of counter space (to allow for oven door to open easily), corner area (usable as counter space to right of stove).

placing the stove closer to the top of the U (or I guess it's the bottom of the U?) keeps it from being even w/the sink. someone can be at the stove and someone else can still be at the sink. It'll also allow some counter space on either side of the stove.

you could also have a pull out in that shallow 'top of U' area for a trash bin. you'd just need to have a smaller 'bin' in it.

you could have uppers cabs between fridge and stove, between stove (turning corner) and up to (allow some wall space before window) close to the window.

also, while on the layout it doesn't show depth where you have the baker's rack, in the pic it looks like there is. Or does the rack stick out into the doorway?

all upper cabs up to the ceiling. if the upper shelf isn't easily reached (wouldn't be for me at just 5'!) that's a good place to store the things used once or twice a yr - like the turkey roaster, cookie cutters, holiday serving plate etc.

start with doing a layout on graph paper (listing all measurements) and posting it here for review and ideas.

i'd keep that other window (even if made smaller). It lets light in, helps to open up the area, keeping it from being a closet. or a tunnel.

o

Oops, sorry, I missed that.

I had also thought of a shallow base cabinet (even 20"), but on the big window wall. It would give you more floor space along the biggest length of the cabinet. The only thing that would keep you from doing it on either wall is finding a sink that will fit. I don't think you will find a stove that is shallow enough, and if it is on that back wall, it would stick out and make it harder to get to the corner cabinets on either side.

o
the cabinet pics

the 2 I posted -

she said she had them made - by the cabinet maker I think.
it's 2 drawer bases (like a rot) set back in the 'dead' space'. good place to store things you seldom use.

the triangular part would be easy to access. I think I'd rather have higher backs on the straight sides tho. probably depends on what you plan to store on it. higher backs would give options on what to store on it tho.

good use of space w/o having a hinged door.

i would think any cabinet maker could make them.

o
cab pics part 2

'so let me get this straight the shelves on the right slide to the left and the quarter round swings out?'

missed replying to this -

yes, the drawer/rots slide out to the left (after swinging out the qtr round part). qtr rnd does swing out - you don't even have to dig into the back of it for what's stored on it!

don't remember who posted it on kitchens. maybe search 'tiny kitchen' on that forum.

on your replies to nancy #2 - she means the connecting part of the U - under the window. and yes, I'd forgotten nancy had that shallow cab put in. very useful.

so, it means the 2 cab runs as you have now, plus the shallow one connecting the 2 - under the window (where there are no cabs now). makes good use of the space there - storage and usable counter top.

o

okay I think there is some confusion here. Looking at the very first photo the top wall is wall A and moving counterclockwise the next wall is B then C and D
NOW looking at the photos:
Wall A has the small window, thats where I want to have my stove and the 2 corner cabinets and close in the window

Wall B is where I want my fridge to be. In my photos that is the wall with the fridge and stove also there is a doorway on this wall to the left of the stove (the stove butts up to the doorway)

Wall C is where the bakers rack is. i want to take out the bakers rack and put in shelves in the wall between the studs. LOVE THAT IDEA. also this wall is empty because of the traffic lane and yes the bakers rack somewhat blocks the doorway

Wall D is where the kitchen sink is and will stay as I don't plan on replumbing.

I hope that makes it a little clearer.

Now the question about narrower cabinets where the sink is. The sink takes up the whole space right now and I can hardly fit anything in that small sink as is. I do want a deeper sink next time. Although I have limited space and have to think smaller I have to keep the kitchen functional and also appealing in case I do decide to resell. Not in the too near future but it will be in the future at some point.

o

put something at least 2' deep under the window on wall A and live with it there for a time and see how it feels to you. something that covers as much space as possible left to right w/o stopping the opening of the fridge tho.

I'd also cover up the window during this time span. This should help give you somewhat of an idea what the space will be like with those changes.

o

Quick thought. You said the basement is creepy scary. I totally understand these things. BUT I was wondering if proper lighting and some ?? ,because I am not sure what is making it creepy scary, might make it more comfortable to go down to.

Love the idea of between the studs storage. Did an ironing board that way and it was great.

o

@desertsteph- i am going to cover the window and see how that feels.
@shades_of_idaho- probably right about the lighting...but there is an opening that leads to under the foundation...just always wonder if animals can get under there...waiting for me...pounce on me when i am unawares....eat me alive..bwahhhhhahaha

o

LOL Here we call that fresh meat. We were talking pantry space weren't we??? Remind us to make storage space for your pistol. Snicker

o

'Remind us to make storage space for your pistol.'

yep, go down there well armed!

o

LOL... Maybe more lights will make me feel much better about it....and being armed might not hurt LOL

o

Hey everyone...I made a little progress and am just checking in. I ordered my bay window and they are making it from counter height to ceiling and the width was reduced to 4'. whooo whooo sooo excited. then today I made a trip to Lowes and found a fridge that I thought was so much smaller than my fridge. It was a floor model marked down half price. No scratches or dings and no missing parts. Well it actually did have a missing crisper but the sales cleck put one in it. LOL. My fridge is a Kitchenaid superba and it is a monster in this kitchen (but I love the inside) anway it is 36" wide and the new one is 30" wide so it is smaller. It does not look like I am going to be able to store much in the freezer so I am going to have to get another freezer to put in the basement or just stop shopping for meat and veggies dang gone it...although it is the perfect size for ice cream LOL.

I also found an over the range microwave/vent and it was marked down to $99 because the mounting hardware is missing and it is also a floor model.... Well I called and found the hardware costs $30 so I brought it too.

Then later looking online at a website I thought about the wall where i am taking out the window and I think I am going to replace it with a glass block window! I found one that I like and it is only going to be 15" high by 31"w and I think that would be perfect to keep the kitchen from feeling closed in and I don't have to worry about curtains over the stove so I looooove that idea. also in the photo in the link I like the corner shelves at the end of the kitchen cause that is right where the doorway is. I like the idea of a panel on the side of the fridge also but not sure if I would have to make a whole box for the fridge to slide in? anyone have any input on that?

Also I decided to keep my stove cause I just can't afford a new one counter depth but I can make my counters on that wall a little deeper. A friend of mines said he can make me Epoxy countertops. I was thinking about that in black. Anyone have epoxy counters?

IN MY MIND my kitchen is coming together...

Here is a link that might be useful: a nice layout

o

The space for our fridge is wider than the fridge we chose for this house. It is not a built in space. I put a small free standing shelf beside the fridge in the left over space. It is very useful for me. It is just a simple shelf.

o

Since the kitchen is so small i think I am going to make the opening 30" which means no one would make my dumb mistake of putting in a fridge too big for this kitchen...

o

LOL msjay2u.

Forgot to say. I think the glass block window will be great to let some light in. I did a glass piece over our stove and some one said it would be so hard to care for but it really is not. I just keep the windex handy.

o

Wow, you have been busy and have found some great deals!

Are you going to have an upper cabinet over the fridge? If so, you can just put a piece of plywood the width of that cabinet on the outside of it and have the height from floor to ceiling.

I like those corner shelves in the plan you linked.

o

If you look at the fridge in the cherry kitchen I want my cabinet to look just like that but does anyone have a wood siding on their fridge like that? What does the bottom of that look like? What keeps the side from moving? Is it attached to the floor?

I decided I am going to make my cabinets and order my doors. Quite ambitious I know but heck they are just wood boxes. I think I can do this. the little train says I think I can I think I can I think I can. therefore I will.

I will be on here asking questions but most of my progress will be on my blog....

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

o

We built a cabinet similar to that. You can see it in my post about starting the kitchen with a difference of opinions. We anchored the cabinet against the regular cabinets on one side, and a bench on the other side, but it really doesn't have much keeping it in place on that side.

Buehl, who posts on the kitchen forum a lot, made a slideshow on how to build a cabinet like the one in your photo.

here

o

thanks for those photos because you don't even want to know how I was planning on doing that LOL (and I am not saying). I better research my cabinets a little more.

I did a search for the thread you mentioned by Buehl but I couldn't find it....he or she had 6 pages of results. LOL I will try again later. Right now I have to get ready for work. I went over my morning Internet time by 10 minutes so I have to rush...

Bye for now and Thank you!!!

o

I haven't read all the replies, so I apologize if I am repeating things.

I love your IKEA inspiration photo. That would be perfect. If you got a cabinet depth fridge, it would really help with the floor space (see how the fridge sticks out in the IKEA kitchen?).

Also, if you don't have to remove that small window, please don't! There are a lot of kitchens out there that incorporate windows above stoves. Here are a couple:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/41164/Main-Street-traditional-kitchen-boston

http://www.houzz.com/photos/103423/Whelan-Funston-modern-kitchen-san-francisco

o

The biggest decision I have right now is whether or not to take out that window and once its out no turning back. I have went from taking it out to keeping it in to not even putting the stove over there.

1- the stove has to be vented outside.
2- I can make the window smaller but what will I put in there? block glass, a stationary window or just a wall?
3- I have a regular free standing stove and in those photos there is a slide in and a counter top range. Exactly what I was thinking... a regular free standing is probably not going to look right with the window over the stove.
I also need to reclaim some of that wall space for cabinets.
I'm soooooooooo confused...

o

I stand corrected...I found a window in front of a stand alone stove that I like

o

It's a big decision, and a lot of work. We made the window in our old house's tiny 1920 kitchen smaller. We moved the stove under the window to allow room for the fridge in the kitchen. You can check out my pictures. If we would have had the budget for custom cabs, we would have centered the stove on the window with a range hood above.

Your small window is off-centered in the room as well. Have you thought about how that will work putting the stove there? Now I'm rethinking the window too. Lol. :)

What view will you miss if you remove the window? I agree with the poster above that you should block off the window and see if you can live with it gone before you commit to anything permanent.

Could you post measurements of everything, including the new bay window size?

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen remodel

o

Okay sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I had to put some quality time into the kitchen after I got off work. here is a sketch I just did of the kitchen with the proposed layout.
In case you can not read the numbers starting with the left most wall (A) top to bottom moving counter clockwise:
wall A down 35" stove 30" down 35"
wall B right 35", fridge 38", wall 8" doorway 38"
wall C (blank wall) up 65" doorway is 36"
wall D left 29" (this is where my in the wall shelves will go)counter 15", sink 32" the 43" to wall or 15" to inside corner also shows 48" W x 18" deep garden window centered on sink also is going to be level with the counters so I can extend the counter top through the window
This is going to be a really close kitchen!!I am still not going to have an awful lot of cabinet space. Acan I make a corner cabinet with doors so small?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog with photos

o

Thanks. That helps. No way am I a kitchen designer, but I have a couple thoughts:
1- Your heat vent. I see it on the floor under the small window. If you make a U configuration, you will cover that up. Any thoughts as to how difficult it will be to move it and where you will move it to?
2- The corner between the stove and fridge: as drawn there's only about 7 inches between the corner of the stove and the corner of the fridge. There's no way that corner cabinet will be functional. And there's no place to stand to use that counter space. The fridge needs to slide down towards the door or the stove needs to slide over towards wall D.
3- Similar problem in the other corner. There's not enough room to stand and use the counter space. Maybe move the sink all the way over to the right edge of the window. The sink would not be centered on the window, but it would look intentional.
4- I'd be careful about placing in the wall shelving on an outside wall. Where I live I'd have to worry about the items freezing in the winter. Is that an issue for you? What about the in the wall shelving on wall C?
5- Speakng of wall C, have you though of putting wall cabinets there with a flip up table under it? Wall cabinets even only 30 inches wide would give you a lot of storage and they would be out of the way of a wheelchair. And for under the cabinets, I'm thinking a gate-leg table only about 10in deep. The table could be slid out of the way when room was needed for the wheelchair. And it would provide great prep space and a little space to sit. Another option could be a wall-mount fold down table.

I hope I'm helping and not making you more confused!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gate-leg table

o
Whoops

Never mind about number 4 - I saw your blog! That is going to look really nice.

o

I drew up a few quick plans based on your ideas and the ideas people have posted so far. I also added to some of the plans a small wall cabinet on the end wall and a fold-down table just so you can see how it would fit in. Another inexpensive thing you can do is add an extra piece of counter top on hinges to the ends of your cabinets. You can pop them up when you need more counter space and fold them down when you don't. We have one at our cabin and it works great.

This one would be the least expensive because it's pretty much your existing footprint, just with new cabinetry. This option also allows for a 18" or 24" dishwasher next to the sink. Even if you don't put one in yourself, it's always nice for resale for their to be an easy spot to put one.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one is the closest to what your current plan is. I slid the fridge down the wall and made the sink smaller so there would be enough room in the corners to work. You would be surprised how useful one single 24" bowl sink is. I loved mine.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This option is like the kitchen marti8a posted a link to at 13:55. A nice galley kitchen with slide-out tall cabs next to the fridge. The small window can stay.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is another similar galley kitchen option. This one gives you more counter space. And you could also do that angled open shelf at the end like you posted in the link at 22:05 or some of the cabinets all the way to the counter. The small window can stay.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally, this is an option with the small glass block window you mentioned. You could put a range hood above the range and you would have to find a home for the microwave.

Photobucket

o

That final drwing looks pretty good. And with a counter depth ref that would be awesome.

o

Hello,
I just got your messages and thanks so much for your help/ Let me reply in order:
Geokid:
1- (what to do with the vent)I was planning on diverting the vent that is not really hard to do. I was going to cut a vent hole in the kick plate of the cabinet that goes there and vent it out through that.
2- (only 7" between the stove/fridge)that is a real concern of mines and I have not been able to resolve this problem in my mind. I was hoping I could make the cabinet so it could be useful...at least with a lazy susan. I never thought about not being able to use the counter top
3- the sink is staying where it is because the window is being put there. I have already ordered the garden window.
4- deleted
5- I like that gate leg table idea. I have to have something that can be moved out of the way if needed.
Now moving on to the floor-plans that you have so graciously provided

1- I do not see where this is going to give me any extra cabinet space, which is the whole point of what I am doing. This feels like what I have and I am totally frustrated with my kitchen!!
2- yes this has more cabinets. You are right, I probably will have to slide the fridge all the way over to the doorway. That actually makes more sense. I need to squeeze in as much counter and cabinets as I can.
3- I never thought about putting the stove over on the other side of the kitchen. but there is that pipe in the wall there and I have to wonder if it will be safe to put the gas line near that pipe.
4- same thing here
5- I think the u shape is going to be my answer. I pretty much decided to take the window out since I am not changing stoves. If I were getting a slide in stove I would consider keeping it but it doesn't work with what I have now. I did think about placing a few random glass block windows on that wall (individual blocks) but I do not have the skill to do all that framework so I will just leave that alone. LOL

I really like the u shape and the garden window idea. I have covered up the window to see how that works and yes I think I can live with it. I am in preview mode now so I can not see which item # you suggested the top cabinet. Anything I put on that wall will have to be able to be moved when big things are being moved into the house unless I put part of it in the wall like the between the wall shelves and let part of it be outside. hmmmm, that's a good idea actually.

What program did you use to do those renderings? They look really good. Thank you so much for giving me a visual! That really helped a great deal

o
cherry kitchen

That cherry wood kitchen actually was posted on a forum on here a long time ago. I thought I saved the posting but I can not find it. I wish I knew whose kitchen that is. I think it is about the same size as mines. Does anyone have any idea whose kitchen that is?

o

Glad they were helpful. I just used Ikea's kitchen planner. It's easy to use but the downside is you're limited by Ikea's cabinet choices. It's not perfect but it gives you a good idea. I used it all the time when I was trying to figure out my crazy kitchen.

I figured you wouldn't like #1! I only posted it to show a base kitchen that you could compare the others to.

Your idea about in-the-wall cabinets for Wall D is definitely a good one. You could also put a plate rack or shelves that could be easily removed if needed.

I like the u shaped kitchen the best as well. Especially if you use the cherry kitchen as inspiration. I think that's a great fit for your space too.

I did a google image search for the cherry kitchen and I found it! It seems it's luceestar's kitchen and it's 8x8 and she used Diamond brand cabinets.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: luceestar's cherry kitchen

o

OMG you have no idea how many times I used cherry cabinets as a search and could not find that kitchen...I saw it on gardenweb and someone said it was an IKEA kitchen so I stand corrected. Thank you so much
You are the bomb

PS I also used IKEA's kitchen planner and I could not get them to accept the corner cabinets for anything.

Thank you again

o

Glad to help!

Yeah, Ikea's corner cabs are 37"x37". Two of those plus a 30" stove is 104", or 3 more inches than what you have so it won't let you put them in. I "cheated" and used one corner cab and one blind corner cab and put a spacer in. Custom cabs made at 35" would fit. Or, and I strongly suggest you look into it, standard sized cabinets might be a lot cheaper than custom. Unless you're getting a good deal on custom. Often, the big box stores have huge kitchen sales. We bought our cabs during a 20% off plus free sink base plus $100 store rebate sale. We paid to have them installed because then you don't have to pay sales tax. It was pretty much a wash cost-wise and much less of a headache.

Standard size corner cabs are 36" so, if your room really is only 101", two of those plus the stove would still be 1" too much. You could see if 1/2" could be shaved off each cabinet somehow. Are you sure your room isn't 102"? :)

o

LOL yes I am sure...I measured and remeasured....
I am not sure if you guys are following my blog or not BUT I did decide on my color scheme based on this tin pitcher

and when taking off the wood paneling I also started uncovering the logs on the log cabin wall...

o

Love the coffee pot. Great inspiration piece. Not sure what those eggs are. I know I have seen them before. Do not remember what laid them.

LOL at the text messages.

o
Maybe this??

Found this picture. Maybe Fly eggs??

Here is a link that might be useful: Fly Eggs

o

You find such fun stuff in the walls when you demo old houses, don't you? :)
How thick is the paneling? When you replace it with drywall will you gain or lose space?

o

@Shades of Idaho: I never saw fly eggs before and they could very well be that. I was thinking beetle but whatever they are its still disgusting!!
It had crossed my mind to put pexiglass on one of the walls so that the logs could be seen but then today I thought about that and if I was in the kitchen cooking and I saw some kind of larvea hatching or some bugs scooting around in the walls I would absolutely freak out!! LOL so I quickly dismissed that bad idea!!
Oh and I guess the textor read my blog because he hasn't contacted me since I wrote it..There is a time and a place to deal with begging and during a renovation is not it!!

@Geokid what I would love to find in the walls is a huge stash of money! I am checking behind all the loose chinking LOL... I will gain about an inch on total length and width. not enuf to be excited.

I am going to work on the house a little today. Check the blog tonight if you're interested...

o

Been there done that. Sorry you had a bad day.

o

Your before and after pictures of log cabin are amazing. Someone put in a lot of work doing that too.

o

thank you. For those not following my blog here is how my kitchen is looking now

progress is slow but steady. I was pricing wood today and man so expensive. I might start going to the restore checking out what they have. Since I was planning on buying doors anyway I could buy used cabinets, paint them white, put a counter top on it and then buy doors for them all to tie it all together. hmmmmmmm. I am waiting on the estimate from the electrician so it all depends on what numbers he gives me.
Also I been pricing granite and I got an estimate at Lowes and they have one for $39 psf but the total for my ity bity kitchen is $1600!! I can 't afford that. I saw this laminate counter top at a surplus warehouse 12' for $168 but it won't work with my color scheme (lime green, white and black)
If I were to change my whole color scheme what colors would you go with?

o
RE: 2nd thought

you know I don't necessarily have to have white cabinets. the kitchen looks cozy dark with the white appliances. thoughts?

o

I am not good on colors. I am too crazy with them and anything goes in our house.

Sure wish I were closer to you to grab those windows over the sink when you remove them. They would make wonderful GOG (glass on glass) mosaic pictures.

Well I see a stove vent for you. Too bad it is not in the right place. I just remembered a house we had that had the old milk box drop into the kitchen. when my parents redid the kitchen they left it just for interest.

o

I love the brick! You should really try to keep it exposed if you can! I think it is a big part of what is making the room look so cozy.

I did a quick search of brick kitchens and green kitchens and here are a couple inspiration pics. I'm not really good with colors either, so I can just find pictures. :)

White cabinet color scheme with brick:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
http://www.decorartsnow.com/2009/11/24/november-24-2009-kitchen-inspiration/

White cabinets with brick and lime green accents. Fun!
http://www.decoist.com/2012-04-11/small-condo-in-new-york-charms-with-its-exposed-brick-walls/

White cabinets with green walls:
http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=40533&relatedPhotoId=40531&index=0

Another white cabinets with green walls:
http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=40531

Dark cabinets with green walls.
http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/kitchens

o

@shades of Idaho: That vent is absolutely in the wrong place or it would surely be used!! I am saving the windows knowing that the perfect project will come up. What are you speaking of when you say GOG mosiac? I am going to start a new post for my color scheme.
Geokid: I actually have access to free brick and I have been thinking of ways to in-cooperate the brick into the kitchen but my imagination sucks. I also was thinking of having the brick wall over the stove but I was not sure how to keep it clean. I guess it is not too clear but in the yellow kitchen photo I have a fake brick wall over the stove. Totally fake because it is a board with a brick pattern on it. Hmmmm I am going to think about that a bit more tonight.
Thanks for the photos. i love that first photo you posted by the way. so me (or the me I imagine myself to be but never can afford)

o

For color scheme questions, you should really post on the decorating forum. Those folks know their stuff.

o

okay will look for that one. also I did want to share on here a kitchen I think I like. Now that my mind is on brick...
Photobucket

o

GOG is stained glass added to a sheet of glass to make a picture or abstract. Windows are fun to do. you can do scenes on them or abstract. or just about anything.

We had brick in a kitchen. It was not the real stuff but those thin pieces glued to the wall. Was really hard for me to keep clean. I loved the look. I ended up painting then white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flicker link to many windows done.

o

msjay2u, I really enjoyed your blog! When I saw the pic of the container that you're using for color inspiration, I was thinking that I should post a picture of my kitchen colors. Then I found the pic of my kitchen! I'm so happy that you found some ideas to use in your space.

Your project is a much greater scale than mine was, but you and I have a lot of the same issues--things you can't see in an older house, until you tear into the walls. When my father and I removed the base cabs on one wall, we found a mouse nest, complete with desiccated mouse. The soffits were full of mousing droppings, and I don't even want to think about what's in the ceiling.

I like your idea of extending the brick across the wall, and although I understand that you need to pack as much storage as possible into the kitchen, I would be so tempted to leave that log wall exposed. It reminds me of my grandmother's log 'out-building,' which had been the kitchen in her previous home. It started life as a one-room cabin over a cellar, but at a later time, someone had added a couple of rooms. Those were demolished when her new home was built in the 1950s, leaving the original cabin intact.

I have no design advice, but I wanted to give you some encouragement, and tell you that I'm looking forward to following your progress--your energy is amazing!

o

Here's a quick, dark cozy kitchen. I had to make the whole range wall brick, but you could definitely just leave the section on the end. I put open shelves there so you would be able to see more of the brick.

And on the opposite wall, I put a plate rack and below it a fold-down table. It only sticks out a few inches when it's folded down, and it would be a great little seating place.

Photobucket

o

This may be totally out of the question...but have you considered making his office/spare bedroom the kitchen? It's a bigger room and the plumbing is nearby (sorta! :-) ) Then possibly you could turn the now kitchen into a small guest room (you could also close off the doorway to the laundry room or make a closet out of that space?) Just a thought. I stumbled across your post and I'm really curious on how you are going to proceed. I checked out your blog and enjoyed your posts. Good luck!

o

Hi Moma Goose. LOL on you seeing your kitchen on my blog. I love your kitchen I have to say. I was at work showing everyone how you made a rangehood out of a chicken feeder and I told everyone to be on the lookout for one for me too. LOL...
To be honest once I exposed the logs and bricks my whole project came to a standstill. I am so torn right now. I wanted to do the kitchen with the white cabinets and appliances, black countertop, microwave/rangehood combo and lime walls. When I saw the brick I changed it to extend the brick use a fancier rangehood, countertop microwave in a cabinet cubby hole and still have soft lime green walls, white cabinets, and granite with movement countertops but now there is the issue of the logs which I hate the idea of covering up but not sure how to incoperate them. coutertops with movement, logs and brick seems too mucha nd white no longer matches either.I thought about this all day long and everyone at work agreed I should find a way to incoperate them in the design. BUT HOW? No one reallyhad any good ideas for that.
I wrote to a renovation show on HGTV and asked them to get their butts down here and rescue me LOL. I really did not say it like that but I did do a little pleading.
Geo kid I was thinking the same thing but then that does not address the log wall. Something has tobe the focal point!!
Primfan whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. LOL I am so confused naw. That is actually a good idea BUT I have already ordered a custom window for the kitchen, have the electrician lined up for the rewire job and extra outlests and pot lights in the kitchen and now I am thinking why didn't I think of your idea before. maybe because I would have to kick out a lot more bucks on the plumpbing?? I don't know but it is an excellent idea, just too late to implement now I think. It would have actually worked out better because I could have turned the laundry room into the diningroom as it is directly attached. Wow I have to think on this some more tonight.
Thanks guys for checking my blog. Why is it no one posts comments on there? I thought that was strange. Even ppl not from gardenweb prefer to email their comments. Is there something wrong with the site?
PS Moma Goose I think I tried to contact you and there was no way to contact you through your profile and I believe your photos were also closed to comments.

o
oops

they make you preview your message before hitting submit but I don't catch all the errors until after I submit. Sorry about that

o

I left comments on your blog a few times. Maybe they are not going through?? Blog challenged.

We had exposed log walls like yours.Ours were flat on the inside. Yours would need to be rechinked. We had white counters. My colors then were cobalt blue and white.The restof the house was wood. I just looked for pictures in my stash and could not find any of that combination.

For me I got tired of the log walls. They sucked the light out of the room. We did have large windows and south facing room so it was bright. But then I have bad eyes and need more light then the average person.

That is a great idea to write for rescue. LOL I am sure you can work this out.

You are right you have a lot going on. That counter you found would go well with the log walls. At this point there is not all that much brick. Paint it white. GASP I know against the train of thought but it would then tie in with the white cabinets.

This way you now have a neutral color thing going on. Then add your accent colors.

Hope you are feeling better from your wound.

o

Primfan brought up a great idea....you have lots to think about! You could always install the new window you ordered in that room and leave the kitchen windows alone.

If you do keep the location, I like shades idea of painting the brick and making the logs the focal point. With some nice new white chink, it would look really nice.

And I found this pic on pinterest and immediately thought of your kitchen. Another idea to think about.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20391252_20794158,00.html

o

msjay, I'm computer challenged. I don't know how to set my SkyDrive albums for comments--uploading pics is the cutting edge for me. I didn't leave a message on your blog because I knew I'd be commenting here.

I checked my member page--my email is on, and I've rec'd GW emails recently, but I can try your GW email.

BTW, I just installed a small fold-up table, similar to the one that geokid mocked up. If you want pics, I can send some, and give info on an eBay source for brackets.

o

Mama_goose I would love to have that ebay information on the brackets.If it is not too much trouble. Neighbor wants to build a table like that for her sewing room. Pictures of your table would be nice too.

o

Oooh, that is a good idea about making his office into the kitchen. Could you put your ordered window in there?

I love the idea of the exposed logs and brick, but not really with the polished cherry cabinets in that inspiration photo.

o

As long as we are rearranging rooms and exploding your budget (lol!), I'll write the idea I had when I first saw your floor plan.

Current: New Use
Living room: kitchen/dining
Bedroom: living room
Her office: guest room/storage or sitting room/guest room
His office: your bedroom (great to have laundry and bathroom so close!)
Kitchen: sitting room with garden window or storage/pantry

I have also read your blog and am enjoying it. I post here mainly because I know how to add pictures. :)

o

Hi, shades, :)

8x8 folding brackets on eBay (less expensive than the same thing on Amazon.)

Also pics of the small table in my (unfinished) guest room:
Folded against the wall--
Photobucket

Photobucket

Closer look at the brackets--
Photobucket

They are rated at 50#s, but I wanted a table just big enough for a laptop. I actually have them mounted on some scrap 2x4s to set the table out a little farther, because of the bookcases, and for structural strength.

You can google 'wall mount table' for some other ideas, too.

msjay, please excuse the hijack. If you are certain that you are using a fold-up table with this style of bracket (you can find longer ones on Amazon.c), I'd suggest putting a couple of cross braces in the wall, at the correct height between the studs, for stability.

o

Thanks Mama_Goose. I will look it up.Your room looks great.

Msjay2U, I am glad I am not standing in your shoes. So many ideas here. I would not be able to sleep. Decisions decisions. I am sure it is going to turn out great no matter what you decide.

o

I am not doing anything because I can not make up my mind on anything!! I figure take a few days break and it will come to me. I can't put any walls up now anyway since the electrician has not gotten here yet.I did consider stripping the logs of the stain that is on there and re-staining in a goldish color and re-chinking. I looked up the process and it does not look too difficult. (see link)
You guys are crazy having me rearrange my whole house. LOLOLOL Actually I have done that already in an effort to fit all of my furniture.
original .....what it is now
kitchen kitchen
dining room living room
living room m. bed room
m. bed room his office/guestroom
indoor porch her office

Moma Goose I am feeling that table now that I can see it. And those brackets are very reasonably priced!! I actually have two places in mind for that sort of table. What I was going to contact you about was to see if you knew the official name of that chicken feeding bin because I looked all over the place for one and could not find one similar. I have since decided to find something unique myself to make one but if my imagination cant find anything I might steal your idea.
Oh and I am in preview mode now so I can't see who wrote about the cherry cabinets. I never intended to have the cabinets in cherry, I just like the layout. I wanted white cabinets but now I am thinking of a dreamy light creamy beige. LOL
Thanks guys...
back to work now

Here is a link that might be useful: chinking instructions

o

msjay2u, I sent you an email via GW. If you didn't get it, maybe they are having a glitch.

I think another GW member referred to the stove hood bin as a chicken feeder. It had been used in our barn as a feed bin for horses, and the chickens would roost on it if wind blew the hen house door closed before dark. That story might have been the source of confusion. The closest thing I have seen in an online pic was a vintage laundry tub on a metal stand, so it may have started life as one of those--it was patched and rusted in a couple of spots.

Single:

Double:

My before picture:
Photobucket

Have you seen this from HGTV/Rate My Space?

o

I like yours. that vent on rate my space looks like something home made. Even though home made is not bad,,,,that is not me at all. However, with that said I do have a powdercoat paint company that might be able to paint a galvanized tub. NONONO I can't do that. I want my kitchen to be a perfect country kitchen like yours LOL I can't get sidetracked

o

I posted my newest idea on my blog for my range hood, which is basically putting in a box with a range insert on the bottom. The problem is this...the distance between my stove and the ceiling is only 48" so that means my range hood can only be 18" deep. I don't know if that is going to work. Also when looking for a range insert what am I looking for in specs? I don't want to spend more than $350 on it but the choices are soooooo confusing!! I want something fairly quiet with decent light and of course clean the air pretty decently. Also my stove is 30" wide how wide do I want the range hood to be?? Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: check the photos on my blog

o

Thank you for the kind words about my kitchen, but, oh my! Although tons of fun--not in the realm of perfect. I admit perfect is in the eye of the beholder, and pictures don't show all the little quirks, but I know they are there.

As far as technical info, I purchased this hood insert. It is a good price, low but adequate CFMs for an electric cook top, and the correct size to fit into the bin. Product demo page. Click on 'specs.'

I was working with an opening of 32" between upper cabinets, and space for a 30" stove (originally, space for a 30" fridge). I've read on the Kitchens Forum that ideally, a hood should be 6" wider than the stove top, for better capture of smoke and steam. That copper boiler in the pic above doesn't meet that standard, but it is interesting. :)

My recommendation, if finances allow, is to get a more powerful hood than the one I have, but any venting is better than recirculation.

o

No input on the current vent hood issue, but I'd cover the logs before I'd paint the brick! White, black and brick seem to have a natural affinity.

199ca1de

As cool as the logs are, they're too rustic for me - YMMV. My husband's cousin lives in a house cobbled together from a few old cabins on her husband's family ranch. Most of the inside walls are exposed logs, but there's plaster in the bathroom and white beadboard cabinets over copper tile (I think) backsplash in the kitchen. Wish I had a picture!

o

hmmmm thats interesting I posted a response and photos. it did not take? Maybe because I was kidding and said I was gonna kill MG for posting about range hood criteria AFTER I ordered mine? I WAS JUST KIDDING. I am not that jealous of her and her great kitchen...although I do greatly admire her. I don't know what happened but anyway here it goes again. MG I ordered a Soreli 30" range hood after being thoroughly disgusted by the markup on inserts. I could only find 3 under $500 and I was not happy with any of them so I wound up getting a whole rangehood that I can build a box around. and I did find the rosewood divider i plan on re purposing for the trim for said box. Jessicacaml I think it is too rustic for me as well BUT I plan on painting the logs and the brick (once its in)
Here is how logs look painted. It is still a country look but not quite so rustic...
country kitchen
Photobucket

living room

Photobucket

any my post ended with so what do you think about my idea of painting the logs?

Here is a link that might be useful: THE RANGEHOOD i PURCHASED

o

I LOVE the white painted log room. So bright. Right up my alley. LOL I am sure if we still lived in our old log house the logs would have been painted by now. The knotty pine walls too. Even after only three/four years all the wood was making me insane.

The pine continues to get darker and darker so all the sanding to lighten them and varnish or whatever you use it will still get dark. I was shocked when I removed pictures and the light spots behind them. Any sun or just bright light exposure turns the wood dark. LOL Tans it.

I saw a post some where about your range hood. Maybe it was on your blog.?????????????

o

Oops, sorry, I didn't realize I was too late! But for $50 more than the cost of the one I bought, you can move another 160 CFMs--I think you found a good deal. How will you handle the controls on the front?

I like the painted logs--especially the blue kitchen.

o

i like that hood! I also like the painted logs.

don't worry we wouldn't let you kill mamaG

o

The bottom lip of the hood will be exposed the rest of the rangehood hidden by the box. yeah thats going to be a challenge.
Here is the divider that I will be cutting up to make the trim. I will be using the top row as it is perfect in size and has the top and bottom trim on it already. If it is not wide enough I will use sections from the third row where the run is shorter.
If I mess up the cuts I have 4 sections to get my pieces from...

I know I posted that post about the logs and hood and since it is not here I think I might have posted it on the wrong forum. I will find it eventually. I did that one time on facebook. It was embarrassing because I posted this Good morning post and went on about a beautiful day and being so happy and it appeared in response to someone losing a loved one. It was really out of place and I couldn't find the post for a couple of days. No doubt I added it in response to some unrelated thread on THS.

o

LOL, steph, it's good to know ya got my back!

msjay, that's beautiful! The carving looks like maple leaves--entirely appropriate in a kitchen. ;) You will have a unique, very functional hood. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished and in place as the star of your kitchen.

BTW, since you have extra material, have you considered covering the whole hood, and making a little inset door that you can open to expose the controls? If you have a table saw and router, you could rip a door piece so that it's thinner in thickness, then route the surrounding trim to accept it, and allow it to sit flush. (Cut the opening so that it's open on the bottom, with the top and sides routed.) Use a tiny hinge, and if you make a magnetic latch, you could then open it by inserting a finger behind the door, from the bottom, and pulling it open. Just a thought, and I hope it makes sense--I haven't had any coffee today.

o

I LOVE the painted logs. Fresh and updated and easier to keep clean.

May I suggest not painting the brick until you see how the room is coming together? It may not be possible since I'm not sure how well the new bricks will match the old, but I think the brick could give a nice, rustic look to balance the painted logs. I really like the look of the natural brick in the picture jessicaml posted. But it's your kitchen and you should do what you like!

Also really like mama_goose's idea about a little door in the paneling.

And I think old-fashioned tin ceiling tile would look really cool as the range backsplash. That would definitely be easier to keep clean than brick, even painted brick.

o

A 2nd plea not to paint the brick! It's just a little strip, so I don't think it will make things seem dark, but it does add an old-world kitchen vibe. (I just finished posting on a topic in paint on how unnatural painted brick looks...that seems to be my mission tonight, even if they're not my properties; I had no idea I was a brick purist before gardenweb)

The painted logs look cool, though! Textural interest, but not dark and cave-like. I love the carved wood divider and look forward to seeing how you use it as trim.

o

I didn't really consider not painting the bricks until now. I keep being drawn to that pic I. posted 6/3 at 23:00. I am now thinking of using that exact color scheme. The cream color for thelogs and cabinets the brick on the wall and the black on the countertops. If the brick looks hideous for some reasonthen I can paint it. Thanks for making me think that out. Also the rosewood would go nice with unpainted brick.
Mamagoose...want to ask about those brackets. How are they holding up. And did u have to put legs on your table? Gonna use that idea as well.
Work gets back in gear on Friday when my window comes. Was waiting to see if I get picked for a show I applied to. Heard from renovation realities but not sure how this can coordinate. I need my walls closed in . Got bugs visiting....wrote them back last night. They had written me last Tuesday but I didn't see it till last night. I am sure I can come up with another project they can follw me from start to finish...sorryforthe no spaces and errors but on my phone and its typing what it wants LOL

o

Cream and black is good ;)--your accent colors will be lovely against that background.

The folding table is in an unfinished guest room that I was working on during cold weather. My grandson likes to fold the table up and down (and up&down, and up&down...), but it's holding up so far. I think I posted that I used 8" brackets, rated 50# each, mostly for a guest to set up a laptop, or a few toiletries. If I were using them in a kitchen, where a meal, or a full canner, might be set on the table, I'd go for the 16" brackets, sold on Amazon. You can search eBay, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: brackets on Amazon.c

o

I love that picture with the blue painted logs. That is such a great, old fashioned, cozy kitchen.

o

Thank you. I ordered them. a table should be pretty simple to make. I also found some mismatched cabinets on craigslist for $20 each. I wrote to them to see if they still have them. at that price I can paint them all to match, and buy new matching doors (which is what I did in my kitchen). I also found a complete kitchen including the sink but not as cheap. She is selling everything for $800 which includes the black stove, fridge, microwave and dishwasher. I wrote her and asked how much for just the cabinets. they look new in the photo.
In the kitchen forum some one was asking about sinks and a poster mentioned Mr Direct. WOW they have some really cheap sinks! If I have to buy new that is where I am getting mine.
Lets see what else. oh yeah DO not buy free money book. I wrote about it on my blog and I feel obligated to tell everyone:
Free Money” and how I wanted to warn you:

If you see the infomercial don’t watch it because its convincing and I know you will take a chance and buy the book. They guarantee if you don’t get $500 you can send the book back for a full refund but you pay $12 in shipping and handling for each book (2). If you send the book back you’ve paid for the book in the shipping cost $24 which you will NOT get back plus you’ve paid to send it back and they don’t reimburse that and you end up with nothing. They basically got free money off of YOU anyway you handle it.... more about that on my blog

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen set

o

OMG! You need to jump on the Craigslist deal right away! That is an awesome deal and it will go fast!! Good luck!

o

A folding table is very simple--just make sure that the back of the table is equidistant from the wall at all points, or it will hang crooked. Oh yeah, ask me how I know :P. Here's an instructional Youtube video, using a different product, but the principle is is the same. He is using drywall toggles, but if you use 2x4 braces inside the wall, screws will work.

The only thing I don't like about it is that when folded, the back edge of the table top shows, and there's a gap between it and the wall. If you build a little shelf or ledge as I did, it will cover the edge, and can hold S&P shakers, a napkin holder, a jar of spoons, etc.

If you buy the white cabinets, will you still paint them cream? You might want to check to see if they are Melamine/Thermofoil, before making the trip. Painting Thermofoil cabinets.

o

I responded to 4 ads on craigslist for cabinets. no phone numbers were posted so email contact was the only way. no response from anyone :-(
soooooooooooooooooo disappointed!!

no matter what color cabinets i get i will paint them. i prefer wood and hopefully that is what i will find, I hate the restore but i'm going to have to check their cabinets.

I am hoping this fold out table works. i was looking at the space and realized when the table is out and being used i wont be able to get thru the doorway. what is the minimum depth do you think i can get away with for the table to be functional.

o

Google Ikea Norbo table. You'll see tons of pics. That one is only 31"x24" and is plenty big enough for two. You wouldn't need bigger than that.

o

msjay2u, does your area have a community clean up or trash day? Ours does once or twice a year, and last month when dh & I were dumping our construction debris, there was a truck in front of us with some NICE cabinets. The constables were directing traffic at the dumpsite, and one of the constables claimed them right away. So that might be a way to get some cabinets too.

Or call around to remodel contractors in your community and tell them you are looking for some solid cabinets for your "garage" and you'll save them a dump fee.

o

My current table is 21" x 39" and it has worked great so far for 1-2 people.

o

@ Marti8 no but I will check into it. I am really bummed out. I went to the Habitat restore and they had everything I need. One small base lazy susan and one larger, one corner wall cabinet and some other top cabinets. I mean they had everything but guess what? You had to buy the whole kitchen or get nothing and the kitchens were $600 and up and had 19 pieces. I only need 5 cabinets at most and I did not want to pay more than $200. I was really bummed out. I tried to convince the manager to break it up. I mean how many people are going to realistically buy 19 pieces? Okay wait....they did have a couple of individual cabinets for $30 and $40 but they were that press board crap with chips. In other words....garbage. WOW... talking about busting my bubble

o

Do you have any room in other rooms for the extra cabinets? Like the laundry room or a garage for storage?

o

are you kidding me? LOL...I have no room for the furniture I have in here now. If push came to shove I could use some wall cabinets in my barn but since the floor has to be fixed I should not be adding anything. Plus I am not to spend $600 on a whole bunch of extra cabinets that I don't need. Remember my budget is only $5k and that includes the fridge and my 4'x 4' garden window.Those two already ate over half the budget. I only was planning on spending $40 a cabinet and I only needed 5 cabinets the most.

o

If you could buy all the cabinets could you float the money until you resell what you don't use? Or use for other storage? I do understand you have a tight budget...but a thought. I know what a "shoestring" is!

o

LOL where there is a will there is always a way. I don't have the means to get all those cabinets home anyway. I will keep looking. In the meantime I guess its a good thing because I am still not even sure what is going where.
On the kitchen thread they said I should keep the galley layout. Here are the problems with this layout:

I will only be able to get one 18" base cabinet between the stove and fridge. That is how I have it now and it is not nearly enough cabinet space.
If I put in a rangehood I will not be able to put any wall cabinets in that spot unless it is 33w x 6" high. Thats inefficient
If I put my range hood over the stove I will have to divert the duct to the space where the window was removed (light wood spot) You are probably thinking why not vent it out in the chimney? It is sealed on the inside of the chimney with cement that's why.
My range hood will no longer be the focal point of the kitchen...in fact where would a focal point be with it laid out like this?
Major turn off is there will be no cabinet gain and all this work would have been done for nothing.

I have to think of something because I do not like the galley arraignment AT ALL even though I have to admit it is visually pleasing

This is the layout I wanted to do but now that I have the stove in place I see a couple of problems with this layout as well. Here are the good/bad points:

1-CROWDED
2-I will have to use a blind cabinet on the right side and a corner base cabinet on the left. I have a narrow cabinet I can put next to the stove with a drawer on top for cooking utensils and a door on the bottom for pot tops
3-Can put the vent and hood over the stove and vent it directly outside and the vent hood will be the focal point of the kitchen
4-can have a total run of 46" of cabinets next to the fridge and can have the same on the wall. Major gain of cabinet space
5 Is tight and cramped. Not that I cook that much. I can stand in one spot with this arrangement and reach everything LOL

Thoughts?

o

A U-shaped kitchen idea is better than standing in that corner to cook and only having 18" of counter nearby.

o

I can not remember how wide you said your fridge is. I understand you want to be able to get Dad and wheelchair into kitchen but does he have to be able to use both door ways?

I see in your house plan there is an entrance through to laundry room from His office room.

I see you have 15 more inches marked out for? cabinet beside sink on right side when facing window.

I asked my husband and he said sink can be moved to the left some with out having to change plumbing at final drain out of the house. Just a little fancy work under the sink no biggie.

Now bare with me. Consider Dad only using door from living room. Laundry room door will still be usable but probably not for wheel chair. Then move sink base down far enough to be able to put fridge to right of sink base. You will loose a bit of counter on the left but gain it back with this plan.

With fridge on right of sink base doors opening on fridge open into walk way that has to be there anyway.

Now you move the stove on removed window wall as far left as you can to still be able to vent it to the outside. Then you can put a full run of upper and lower cabinets on the wall where fridge is now. Or use all upper cabinets for upper and lowers like Nancy did creating lots of storage yet opening up the room. I think she said they were 18 inched deep. And she put a counter on top of hers. There will still be a blind cabinet between stove and wall but if there are just straight run shelves you can still get into it fairly easily and use it more for things you do not use often.

Then you have corner cabinets wrapping around to the stove and this is where you gain your counter space back and I think it is more usable this way.

Maybe it is a blessing window people did not show up to install that garden window because you still have the option to move it down.

If you can not make sense of this I can draw it out for you.

o
Nancy's kitchen link

Adding the link from way above in this thread to her upper cabinets used as a base. You could even put them to the ceiling and just do the part by the stove having counter on left of stove. You would have huge storage this way with less foot print.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nancy's Cabinets

o

I agree Mary Ruth. Shades, I was planning on closing that door off because his office is going to be my bedroom. and my bedroom is going to be the livingroom again and my livingroom is going to be the eat in den. I am moving the window and sink a little to the left.
I like you idea of moving everything ov3r and putting the fridge on that side but its not going to work. I just went in there and measured. I say this because the counter is 33" from the doorway and even though that is okay a little more would be better. I can't move the window more than a foot to the left because the vent pipe is in the wall there. but the window is only 4' wide. If I moved the window as far left as I could then that would leave me 23" to the right of the window (10") too short.

On the left wall I could use cabinets that are only say 18" deep vs 24" and I think that would be plenty. I was thinking about that today.

o

When I put the bath window in the wall , here, there was the vent pipe smack dab center of the window space.GGGRRRR They cut it off put elbows in . Moved the vertical pipe over and hooked it back up. Think of a squared C.To go around the window. Was an easy fix. You are only venting air so the sink will drain so pipe does not need to be straight run. Another option is a loop vent. We did this when we built the log house. Plumbing inspector had a fit about it bur it worked and he had to allow it. It goes under the sink. Course if that pipe is cast iron it would be much harder.

Well it is too bad you are changing that office door. You will have a long way to go to the bathroom at night.:^( Sorry it will not work. It was a thought.

o

msjay, you might want to repost about layout in Kitchens forum--since your other thread was about color, the experts may have been hesitant to make layout suggestions.

I have no advice about layout, but just wanted to send some encouragement. I know how easy it is to get frustrated when everything is torn apart, and you feel as if you're spinning your wheels!

As far as cabinets, the vintage cabinets I used are 16" deep (base cabinet), so you might consider searching for some. I know they were an unusual find, but maybe ask at flea markets and check 'junk' stores. They don't hold as much stuff, but it's all front-and-center. Or, could you convert free-standing/unfitted cabinets?

o
something to think about

Here's a recent thread in Home Decorating, about converting an entertainment center for storage.

And one I found on the 'net: Dwelement's Room Blog--scroll down.

It seems that with the popularity of flat-screen TVs, used entertainment centers are now cheap and easy to find. They're usually shallower than standard kitchen base cabinets, too.

o

Ditto to Mama G's recommendation to create a specific post on the kitchen forum with ''layout'' somewhere in the title (I seem to think there's a better word, actually, but my sleepy brain can't reach it or is imagining things). There are experts over there who love analyzing every square inch to see where things fit best. You'll get the most response if you post a drawing or graph of your current layout with measurements. My apologies if you've already posted it; I've just been skimming things this evening and I don't generally contribute to layout threads; too technical!

o

Ditto posting a specific thread on kitchens.

So you're rearranging rooms too? :) I like the your new layout idea.

It made me think of an idea. It's a little crazy, but....... If you are going to be closing off the doorway to the laundry from your new bedroom, could you make a new doorway next to it? One that leads to the laundry directly into the current living room? THEN, you could close up the doorway in the kitchen by the stairs. Have one entrance in and out of the kitchen. You would use the new doorway to get to the bathroom.
-It would create a more direct entrance into your house because you wouldn't have to go through the kitchen to get into the house.
-It would give you a ton more space to work with in the kitchen.
-It would be a more direct shot to the bathroom from all the rooms.
-It would be a big job, I know, but you're up for it, right? :)

Again, post in kitchens again and see what they say. Make it clear that your rooms are in flux and things are switching around. The experts there may come up with something we haven't thought of.

o

Starting from where you current fridge is and going clockwise your new layout could be:
18" cabinet, range, small cabinet, corner cabinet, more cabinets, corner cabinet, sink, cabinet, fridge
The fridge would be right up to the doorway (now closed off). To save money now, you wouldn't have to actually close it off completely, the fridge would block it. You could close it off at a later date.

This option also allows you to keep the small window on the end wall.

o

Last post, I promise. I'm on vacation and have strange hotel room induced insomnia. :)
The new layout won't work with all those cabinets I just posted (I need sleep!), but you get the idea: range on current wall and fridge blocking doorway.
You could also do a galley kitchen. Range on current wall along one stretch and sink along the other stretch with the fridge at the end. The galley kitchen would eliminate those pesky corner cabinets.

I hope I'm making sense! I need to go to sleep!

o

skipping over all the replies, I'm going to ask a question:

Why can you not slide the fridge into the present doorway to the living room, making a run of closet in the living room w/o tearing out any walls? Or, put a pantry into the kitchen where that doorway is now?

I think you might be able to create a doorway through the laundry area.....that is one big laundry area for such a small house.....worth rearranging it for gaining more useful space. Then you have the doorway accessing the kitchen, you only need ONE anyway, and it is past the basement steps.

The only hangup might be where the logs are don't remember what you said about their presence. But, can you find a way to make that basement less "spooky"....

Or, slide the fridge into the one doorway to the living room, and complete the closet along that wall because you are showing a sort of closet in the corner anyway.

I think two doorways to the kitchen are not a good thing anyway. Don't have to tear anything out there, just close off that door, and make one further along the wall into the laundry area. It is worth thinking about anyway, and may force you to "pretty up" your laundry area.

o

Mocassin, we both had the same idea: block one doorway in the kitchen with the fridge and make a new doorway to the laundry room from the living room.

o

Hi Ms Jay
thought you might like to read this.

Here is a link that might be useful: In a small kitchen you have to have

o

I can't block the doorway and make a new dooway in the office. I wish I could as I have thought about that many times but that would entail cutting through logs. No I have to leave the doorways as they are.
Anyway as of yesterday the cabinets are ordered. yeah forget what I said about building. Have to get this junk done. check my blog for the background on that.
question today. went to order my sink and faucet. whats the rule on matching? can you have a stainless steal sink and a rubbed bronze faucet? it sounds kind of silly to me BUT when would you use those other color faucets?
Thanks

o

wow I haven't updated in a while. Renovations are going slow. SO far all I got accomplished is getting my window put in and my back wall now has fake bricks face over real bricks, LOL. I did get my fuse box taken out and now have a circuit breaker box, window is out and vent hood vent is in place. whoooo whooooo. here are some previews. Like I said nothing finished yet...
window is in
brick face wall...still a little wet
Logs were re-chinked
and painted white and I decided that was tooo much so I covered them partially with drywall
I had to get a new door because my cabinets would not fit through the 31" doorway. Doorway is now 36"
a couple of cabinets are up

Of course you can get the blow by blow story on my blog

o

msjay2u, How is your kitchen progressing? I tried your blog link, but it's no longer working. Hope to hear from you soon.

o

I been working hard Mama working hard...I had my kitchen looking like this
But I did not like the colors in my kitchen for the look I am going for so I repainted it
Then I decided to take down the ceiling and take up the floor and now it looks like this
and this
LOL its a mess but everything will be new and I think I am gonna love it

I did change the address of my blog. Sorry but I thought I posted the new link...
The address changed because I am self hosted now. whooo whooo moving up in the world LOL
And I made comments to you on my blog...no wonder you never responded. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

o

Thank you for the new link--I bookmarked it this time. The paint that you started to use in your kitchen looks very similar to the 'Sugar Cookie' that I used in our DR/playroom. I love the color--it reminds me of a creamsicle, but I think your new color fits your space better.

I love the shelves/niches in the walls!

o

P.S. I am predicting that you will be cooking Thanksgiving dinner in your nice, new kitchen. But that doesn't mean you can't finish before then. :)

o

My comments on my blog indirectly to you was about stealing your colors kindda sorta. LOL I also kindda stole some other ideas. Like My chinked shelf is an adaptation of your spice rack along your counter. There are some other things also but I can't think right now. Yeah...your kitchen is the bomb and I want one too... a great kitchen not a bomb. LOL

o

msjay, Thank you! I enjoy sharing DIY ideas, and anything you want to copy is fine (and flattering), and now my big head is going to explode.

Speaking of which, from your contractor's reaction, I get the impression that he thinks you had a bomb, and it went off in your kitchen. Hehe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here