Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demi007_gw

Which layout do you prefer (open kitchen in LR)?

Demi007
10 years ago

Hi,

We are in the middle of a dilemma.

We are living in NYC so places are not that big. We were fortunate enough to get a 1100 sqft apartment. The living room is almost half of it (500sqft) so we are considering having an open kitchen in there. We got bids so we know it is feasible. But we now have to decide between 2 possibilities:
- against a wall on your right when you enter
- in the middle of the room, a little recessed

We love both. the one on the left is great because there is a window but then the 24'' cabinets come about 1/3 in front of the window (wall cabinets would be thiner, maybe 12'')
The one on the right is my favorite because there is some room left to put a bar, desk, whatever but there is no window.
My experience with hood is that even a good one cannot really remove odors.

Any advice greatly appreciated! You get to vote now :)

Demi

Comments (9)

• desertsteph
    10 years ago

I like the one on the left.

• fynite
    10 years ago

Definitely the one on the left. Maybe you can use the money you save by not moving the shower to move the window over so it is unobscured?

For my personal preference, I would put the range on the peninsula and the dishwasher against the wall. But that's me. (I like to face over my stove as I cook and be able to socialize.)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I'd also do the one on the left.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    10 years ago

I like one on the left better. The kitchen isn't as much on display, and I like the dining area/sitting area flow better. Maybe you can have a custom table/cart made for the space against the window, so you won't block the window. And maybe shelving or something narrower on the upper portion as well. If you can't move the window, I think it would be worth doing something custom in that spot.

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

The left one is the more traditional layout. But I see what you like about the one on the right. I'm in a house rather than an apartment, but my layout is very similar to your right option. The kitchen is dead center of a large room that has the DR on one end and the LR on the other. There is a garden in the center. With that layout, I can see you shifting the dining table down to the center section, and having a desk or other small sitting area up at the top, adjacent to the second bedroom. If you go that way, you might consider shifting the door on the hall bath to the top, so one isn't "in" the kitchen when going in and out of that bath.

I also wonder about the set-up for the TV. I know the furniture placement isn't a done deal, but I don't think it works with the TV in the corner. You could consider mounting the TV in a recessed fashion on the wall that backs up to the master closet. Put it on an arm that will allow you to swivel it out if necessary.

• Demi007
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks all for your help!
    As much as I love the one on the right, about 95% of people said right so we are going with this one. I ll post some pics!
    Have a good day!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Errr may I say I prefer the right as you have more space to move around, plus it just feels right to me. The balance is better.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Just an idea...have you considered putting the kitchen in the bay window area? Could you put the sink in that area? This may not work, but I thought I'd post it anyway...maybe it will give you some more ideas :)
    {{!gwi}}From Cottage house plans

My mom used to talk about a drop leaf table that folded up and went against the wall, almost like a desk. A chair pulled up to it meant you could use it as a desk, or pull out the table, bring up the leaves, turn it and add a few more chairs for an dining table.

Another idea is to use a smaller table for the island, use another small table for the 'desk' and then put them together to make a bigger dining room table, when needed.

• whiterosesinbloom
    10 years ago

A bit late, so maybe my feedback won't be useful... anyway...

My condo had the kitchen on the left. I loved it. Intimate, but still enough room for two people to cook dinner and sip wine and chat. A view through to the living room to catch the news on TV (back when there *was* news on TV).

The only difference was my range was against the left wall, so the counter between the range and the fridge was larger.

IMO this layout gives you more options to configure the living and dining rooms.

IMO the layout on the right narrows the space to the right of the kitchen, makes it more difficult to use.

Did you make a decision?

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!