Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plastic, vinyl, silicone ?? cutting mats

Posted by desertsteph (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 21:35

Anyone have the ones out there that come as a set in colors to use for different type products? 1 color for red meat, 1 for poultry, 1 for veggies etc

I've been thinking about getting some and wondered how they are for cutting. I mostly just cut up veggies - sometimes chicken. Lately I've just been using a paper plate... I did buy a new cutting board a yr or so ago - just don't know where I put it. I figure it can't hurt to have a few around anyway - at least the way I lose things.

I don't know if they are just plastic or silicone or whatever...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plastic, vinyl, silicone ?? cutting mats

For me, after using thick wood cutting boards and plastic types that were big and heavy, I'm using 2 thinner bamboo cutting boards that I found at Walmart. They have a hole so they resemble a rectangle artist's pallette. They are easy to scrape cut foods into bowls, (like for salads) lightweight and easy to clean. I have a larger one for meats and a smaller one for veggies or fruit.

o

I checked some out on Amazon but the reviews are all over on them. many like them, then some say they've splintered and or cracked. I'll have to look in W for theirs.

I also want to look in a store for something like these -

Here is a link that might be useful: cutting mats

o

Ikea has cheap plasticky boards in fun colors....probably not as good for my knives but they are pliable for transferring to a bowl.

o

I have some of the cheap IKEA ones, as well. They're like two for a dollar, or something ridiculous like that. I buy another two-pack about every year. I like that they are bendy. They don't come in use-designated colors, but you could designate them yourself. My current set actually came as one red, one green. (The last set was one white, one blue).

My sister-in-law has some of the Epicurean cutting boards, which come in different sizes, are classified green, and are dishwasher safe. I'm thinking of picking up a few of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epicurean cutting boards

o

We need some new boards too. Not so good at remembering to oil them occasionally so eventually they crack.

Definitely getting wood though. Believe it or not they actually hold less bacteria than ones you can put in the DW.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here