Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capesunseting

Trying to create an open floorplan in my ranch house

capesunseting
14 years ago

I'm currently in the process of planning a kitchen remodel within the current footprint of my kitchen. It's SMALL. The floor space is 11 feet 1 inch long and 6 feet wide.

I'm taking down the walls (to 46" in height) that separate the kitchen from the dining room and living room. My whole upper floor is 1,440 sf and that includes three bedrooms and two bathrooms. My "living space" is roughly half of that, so, say 720 sf. We have a finished basement, but most of my day to day stuff is done upstairs.

Here's a post I wrote tonight in the kitchens forum, but those of you with a small house probably understand very well how difficult it can be to try and make living in a small space, well, livable.

Would you mind reading and giving me your take on it?

thanks!!!

My original post---

Would you put in a 2 burner INDUCTION on your island if you already had a gas cooktop elsewhere?

For a number of good reasons, I'm doing a simple 30" Caldera gas cooktop in the corner of my galley kitchen.

I'm building in a countertop on the opposite wall from there which will be my "island." There, I was envisioning an 8' long prep space that wraps around the corner into a countertop-height bar area for my kids. My current kitchen design has the kitchen at the back of the house flanked by the back exterior wall and the stairs leading down to the basement. I plan on taking all those walls down to 46" (in part to promote safety b/c of the long drop over the stairs and also to prevent glasses and plates from getting knocked over (my kids are 4.5 y, 2.5 y, and 13 mo).

Okay, so getting back to my original question, I don't want to put the cooktop on the island b/c (1)I don't want a vent hood screwing up my window focal point, (2) I don't want to cut into my concrete to put in a downdraft(yes, you heard me, I have a concrete floor even tho the basement's one floor down. !@#$#$% concrete! and (3) I don't want a blind corner cabinet, which is what would happen there if I didn't put the cooktop there. I'm getting my cabinets built by a cabinet maker and he is going to maximize every INCH of space I have to make this design worthwhile.

QUESTION--I've been toying with the idea of putting one or two INDUCTION burners on the island, just for those times when (1) I really need to keep an eye on the kids b/c they're being too rough with the baby, (2) my husband and I are both cooking in the kitchen together, (3) we're entertaining and I can stir while I'm talking to people that are in the living room and (4) my son and I are using the island as a baking station (oven will be underneath island) and we want to work together on melting chocolate, etc. Having a burner on the island seems nice b/c two people would have a lot more elbow room, especially when working side by side.

MY CONCERNS: (1) I want to use the island as a place to unload groceries. My FLOOR space with the new island will be 3' 11" wide (yikes!) by 11' 1" long, with two exits and one window. :-). If I have a two burner cooktop there, will it be too risky to unload groceries on top of it, for fear that something hard might break the glass cooktop? I plan on getting a hardy soapstone countertop.

--I have only found a few options under $2K (my absolute highest that I can go!) Diva DDP2,

Fagor IFA30AL, and Kuppersbusch EKI3260M.

--the only other options I can think of if I want to pursue a burner there is to have the contractor put in an electrical outlet for 220v (?) there so I can buy a portable plug in model for the times that I want to cook on the island. Or, I could just use the current regular outlet (110?) for a less powerful portable induction model.

What would you do? FWIW, I would not put in any exhaust. I figure if i get something too hot or smokey (which I rarely do anyway), I'd just turn around, stick it on the cooktop burner and flip on the exhaust fan to get the smell, etc. outside. ALSO, I have to make sure that if I get a 2 burner induction that I can still put in my wall oven and, next to it, my Electrolux ICON speedcook/microwave/oven under the countertop.

Please help a tired momma out on this one. I am so paralyzed on this issue and I really just want to make a decision, move on and start getting some sleep instead of trolling the Internet trying to figure out what to do! :-)

THANK YOU!

Comments (5)

• TxMarti
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I wouldn't. Before doing our kitchen remodel, I had about the same space you have, and counter space is golden for me. What I have done is get a portable double hotplate. There are portable induction burners though I don't know if there are double burners. They are pricey, but I see them at Tuesday Morning stores fairly often for under $200. When not in use, you can put it under the counter.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

you have a galley kitchen 11' long? that sounds like a lot of counter space to me... did I misread something? (I just woke up and my eyes aren't focusing yet...)

I do think I'd go with the portable one tho. they come as a single or double. that sounds safer in case any groceries get plunked down on it accidentally. that could break it.

I looked online at summit inductions tho - they are cheaper than 1,000.00.

I do think having one would probably be a good idea. I thought about it but recently changed my mind - but then, I seldom cook anymore. 4 burners on a regular stove top will be 3 more than I'm used to anyway.

• ronbre
    14 years ago

interior designer here..first..are you doing the work or hiring it done? if you have an upstairs, make sure you are not removing bearing walls # 1 ..and also try to NOT move your plumbing..very expensive.

second, make sure you keep a work triangle intact and short and unobstructed..that would be the triangle between your frig, sink and range...ovens are not that big a deal so if you have a separate oven, cooktop should be in the triangle.

my husband WANTED this house we have..there is an island in the large kitchen between the sink/ref area and the range area..so you have to walk AROUND the island with pots of boiling water to drain in the sink..etc..i hate that.

i thought the island would be lovely..wrong !! so if putting in a cooktop on an island or peninsula will complete your work triangle and cause less problems..do it.

i realy should drop one into my island..but i don't need more than the 6 burners i have now !!!! seems like i would be wasting counterspace to add more..even if it would make the trip shorter to the sink..and there is no way to change things around without way too much expense (moving gas lines, plumbing, major elec etc)

always look at your traffic patterns first, work triangle second..and everything else after.

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

I will add my 2 cents and say I wouldn't add the induction burners either. I have a fairly large island, where I also unload the groceries and do prep work. In one of my drawers, I have an electric skillet that works well on the island if I need it. I rarely do. It's so nice to have a separate cooking area which is out of the mainstream of traffic, I wouldn't think of cluttering up my island with another.

• Pipersville_Carol
    14 years ago

Just chiming in to say that it is possible to create an open floorplan in a small ranch.

The original section of my ranch is 1400 square feet, and that included three bedrooms and two baths. Sounds very similar to yours.

We took down small walls in the front half of the house to create a 14 x 60 foot space, divided by large archways into kitchen, entrance foyer, and living room. It's an "enfilade" of rooms, anchored at one end by the fireplace and at the other by a big kitchen stove. When we have a fire lit, the flames reflect off of the stainless steel tiles behind the stove. A pleasing symmetry (yes, I drive my husband nuts with this stuff).

We hung long white canvas curtains in the archways, so rooms can be closed off visually if need be. Afterwards, I realized how loftlike it is. The space functions well and is comfortable and airy.

Good luck with your remodel!