Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clayton i-House

Posted by columbiasc (veronative@aol.com) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 21:08

Has anyone checked out the i-House by Clayton Homes? I saw a brief blurb on it the other day and just went to their site and looked it over.

I'm glad to finally see some creativity going into manufactured and/or modular homes. Trendy design, Ikea style cabinetry, and a few "green" features thrown in to make a nice little bundle that at first seems remarkably affordable. But after letting it settle in, I got to thinking. At it's core it's still a manufactured home. That is selling for $100/square foot. Plus the land. Okay, so it has a cool design. But do those design elements really add that much to the cost of a similar sized "typical" manufactured unit?

Definately a step in the right direction.

Comments?

~Scott~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clayton i-House

Do you have a link we can look at?

o
I think this is it

Okay, I think I found it, linked below. I certainly think it's significantly different in both appearance (which I like), and materials to make it a big step in the right direction, as you pointed out. Then again, if we're going to talk about 'green', then we probably need to talk about their manufacturing processes, shipping, and overall sustainability practices for building them and for the company; not just the house.

I'd also be interested to explore the link some more to find out how well the overall energy structure of the envelope compares to some of the SIP houses I built.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clayton House

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here