Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idie2live

Broken Leg

idie2live
13 years ago

I fell down 2 steps today. Even though the pain was INTENSE, I was sure it was a sprain. My best friend convinced me to go to urgent care to have it examined. The doctor was sure it was just a severe sprain, but I wanted x-rays done anyway. It turned out to be a fracture of the Fibula (small bone in my lower leg). They sent me to the emergency room, where it was splinted. I have to call the orthopedic doctor tomorrow. At best he will cast it, at worst, I will need surgery. I'm expecting the best because I'm a 'glass is half full' kind of person.

This is the first time I have ever had to go to the emergency room (for myself).

My poor son - I have run him ragged fetchin' me my 'stuff', lol

Loretta

Comments (68)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Loretta,

So sorry about your broken leg--I hope you are up and around soon.

I signed your cast--anyone else want to sign?

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers for Loretta

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks for the well wishes. I have quite a few virtual signatures on my cast! lol

I had a really good day. From the bed to the porch where I stayed most of the day. I only had pain when I was using my leg. While sitting, it felt good. It really feels worst when it's been elevated and I have to get up!

ML I wish you still had that email too. My brother had the brilliant idea to re-roof his 3 story house (with a really steep roof pitch). Needless to say, me, my sisters and his wife were horrified! The insanity finally passed and he hired it out, but I still have visions of him falling off of that roof! MEN!
    Jay, so you are a T&D maker huh? A good T&D guy is worth his weight in gold in a factory. I've worked with some good ones.

Thanks for the flowers and the card.
    Loretta

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

I'll sign it. :)

I'm glad you had a good day, Loretta. Please remember not to overdo it. Let others take care of you for awhile. :o)

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Going to give this a try.Will have to do link right now.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Signed :^)

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, are we all falling apart here? Loretta, I am so sorry for your break. By now the pain is probably getting better, but if it is not, you might try ice. I am not sure if the cold can penetrate the cast, but if it can, it would help with pain. Just be really, really careful not to leak water onto your plaster! I had a bad fall last summer and was black and blue from the knee to the instep. I did the "leg above the heart" thing for almost three weeks, used ice every time I got up (or the DH walked by) and it was the only thing that helped with pain. I did not have a cast, though.

BTW, I was the crutch queen in high school, and I got quite good on them. The trick is that the top of the crutch should be no higher than the top of the side of your bra, the handles should be positioned so that the elbow is still bent when you hold the hand-holds, and you put your weight on your hands, not your underarms. Generally, you walk with a three-and-one gait. The bad foot and both crutches go forward together, then the arms hold you up while you swing your body forward and land on the good foot.

ML, I had plantar fasciitis (that leads to heel spurs) several years ago. It did not respond well to the cortisone shots into the heel joint, or to the occasional rolling of my foot on a cold Coke can. It got so bad that driving was torture, I just could not put my heel onto the floor of the car. I ended up getting some plastic foot braces that I wore at home at rest, and all night long in bed. The braces held my foot in a flexed position (so my toes were not pointed down like they want to do). By having my foot in the same position it would be if it were on the floor, the heel tendon got stretched out and the pain was gone in a month or so. I had been trying to HOLD my feet in that flexed position, because it hurt less. That just messed it up more. The braces let me relax my muscles and keep it flexed, and that did the trick. You can get these kind of braces from Foot Smart or any other footcare site/catalog.

Be safe everybody - we are all doing our little projects and need to remember to take care of ourselves. Even though I have all those kitchen cabs to sand, touch up, and polyurethane, I stopped today when my feet got too sore. I had to go to Lowes with DH to order the last of the appliances for the new kitchen, and I just can't stand on concrete. I could only work a couple of hours on the cabinets. I have a feeling that they will not all be done when they get installed, and I will be finishing them up after they are already in!

Jay, that is a very weird injury! Is it feeling better yet? Hope so!

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

oh loretta you poor thing! amazing how an awkward fall can turn out so serious. DH fell down some steps at work once and landed on his knee and fractured it. He had a removable type cast on it like yours and was on crutches for a couple of months. They take a while to heal properly so take it easy and don't rush it! ouch I dont even want to think of what it feels like!

• User
    13 years ago

Marti8a, just wanted to say thank you for the info you posted. I've begun the heel stretches you mentioned, and even after two days, there is an improvement. I am not putting pressure on the heel, but at least there is less pain, and less limping when I try to walk around.

I will be sure to follow the regimen you and your MIL used.
    THANK YOU.

Well, Loretta, how goes your morning this fine Sunday?
    Hope you are having a good day.

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

Loretta ~ How awful! I do hope your bone heals swiftly. It's great you did not have to have surgery. Take it easy and see the good in your down time.

FlowerLady

{{!gwi}}

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

how do you guys 'sign' on her cast??

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Emagineer-Sandy asked me to post her picture with her signature on Loretta's cast, shown above.

Steph ~ You save a copy of this photo to your computer, sign it in an art program, save it again and upload it to you server/host, and post it. I think I got that right.

It was fun to do, and Loretta's cast will be all signed up in no time at this rate.

FlowerLady

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Thanks Flower. I was using a photo album which won't let me copy the HTML correctly.

For the signature:
    Use your right click on photo.
    Select copy and save in a folder on your computer.
    I use Photo Shop, selected "text" and wrote my name on the photo.
    Save it and upload into an "album" program on the net.

Obviously, Flower had to post it for me though. Need to find another resource to upload photos.

Whoever thought of this...fun stuff.

• User
    13 years ago

And here I tried it using corel Photo Album 6 uploaded to tinypic.com

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awwww! You guys, that is too cute! You have so much imagination! Thanks from the bottom of my heart. I'm going to send my siter a picture of the cast.
    I had a good day yesterday and today. (We won't talk about the nightly trips to the bathroom!) I spent the entire day on my porch.
    Nancy, thanks for the info on the height of the crutches. I still hate them because they're so arkward, but like you advised, I do think I had them too high under my arms.

ML and Jay, I hope both of you continue to feel better.

• User
    13 years ago

Loretta, had to visit the doc today for new scripts and some routine tests. He gave me the shot for shingles. Wow was it expensive, and Medicare does not pay for it. He said only folks over 60 can be given this immunization for shingles. Would you believe $175? One time only though. If it keeps me from enduring the pain and disfigurement many people report with this malady, I feel lucky to get it. As a diabetic, I have enough skin and nerve issues w/o further complicating things.

Hope you follow doctor's orders. Also, don't fret about what you cannot get done. God just put you on down time for your own good. Say "Thank you, God." Have a good weekend, Lo.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I agree with moccasin - God's giving you 'down time' for a reason! maybe just to enjoy the gifts He's given you - those around you for a few weeks. you know, sometimes we just go, go, go and forget to just sit still for a spell. that'd be you guys, not me tho. I 'sit' still a lot - lol!

I worked on your leg Loretta... and finally got it. couldn't be fancy or anything. once I managed to get my name on it I wasn't gonna mess with it anymore - or I might delete it somehow! it's right above Anita and Moccasin.

{{!gwi}}

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Anyone that needs room to add a signature is welcome to write across mine. Didn'tm ean to take up a big area.

Hope your doing well and getting around a bit better now.

Moc...I had no clue those shots were that expensive. They must have changed Medicare for covering it since a couple of years ago. I've had to change so much of my medical care due to their lack of coverage that it is to the point of not caring about seeing doctors at all. Those in retirement who cannot pay the extra or for a supplemental are getting lost in whatever this health bill is being applauded for. Apologies for getting off the subject.

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

"He gave me the shot for shingles. Wow was it expensive, and Medicare does not pay for it. "

wow ML I didnt know there was a shot for shingles?? tell me more please. DH got shingles for the first time last year and it was sooooo painful! He didnt even know he'd had chicken pox until he rang his mother to check and yep he had it at about age 3 or 4 and didnt remember. He still gets some pain in the area on his side where the shingles appeared (he had some pills from the doc that's supposed to prevent the long term neuralgia) but I dont know if they worked that well since he still gets a burning sensation sometimes. Did you have chickenpox at some stage?

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, I have felt so much better the last couple of days. The constant ache has receded to a tolerable level and I have started using one crutch some of the time!
    ML and Steph, my wings have definitely been clipped, but I agree we all need some down time. I just hope I don't have to miss bible study too long because we have a fantastic teacher.

I had 2 co workers who had shingles and they both stayed out almost a year. I did not know they had a shot either. I have a sister who has worked on the same job for over 15 years and is still 'part-time'. They schedule the workers for 32 hours so they do not have to give them benefits, then ask then to work an extra day each week. So effectively, they work 40 hours as part-time employees. She does not have any insurance at all.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Loretta so glad to hear you are not having as much pain now. Just be sure to take it easy so the bone heals well.

Dang shingles are so bad. Hubby had them over 10 years ago and still suffering side effects.

Chris

• User
    13 years ago

If you are interested in the immunization shot for shingles, they will not give it to people under 60. Doc says probably because it has not been tested on younger people, just us old f*rts. And if you've had the shingles, you get a different kind of shot than this, but you must take it before the shingles get full blown and really painful. I have so many online friends (my parrot forums) who are suffering with shingles, and that is one health problem you do NOT want to let get out of hand. It can be disfiguring if left to run its course.

I have no idea if Medicare will pay for those other shots, probably will to some extent. But for the preventative shot, it seems not. However, the doc's office is filing a claim with my secondary provider to see if they will.

As a diabetic, skin problems are always present. So I did not want to have further complications which could end up with me losing any parts of my body. I really like being alive, and able to walk around and garden and sit in a bathtub or stand in the shower.

So everyone, please take care of yourselves. The things you ignore now will come back to haunt you when you are old like me, and maybe you'll have to change your dwelling place or living style. That would be awful, since I know everyone frequenting this forum truly enjoys the smaller home lifestyle.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I just checked this thread to see if Loretta had posted an update lately. I'm glad to see the pain level is better.

Flowerlady, can you add my name too? Loretta, I guess you'll have to print it out on a clear label and attach it to your cast now. lol

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I'm glad it's working for you ML. I left out a couple of things though. I had posted it on my blog and had to go back to double check.

When you stretch your toes toward your head in the morning, do it for about 10 minutes, doesn't have to be 10 continuous minutes.

Wear gel inserts in your shoes, and wear shoes with a back to hold them in.

Never go barefoot, always wear shoes.

And depending on how bad your spur is, it could take much longer than 6 weeks to be totally gone.

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks, Marti.
    Oh yeah, I discovered I should NOT go barefoot. Feels like a broken bone.

When I told the doc I thought I had a bone spur, he grimmaced, but was polite, then asked where it hurt. He said I'd diagnosed it correctly, and he also gave me a list of exercises to do. The proper name for it is PLANTAR FASCIITIS.
    Sounds good to me. :)

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

Marti ~ The last photo taken with others names added, is too small for me to add your name. Maybe they can do that.

Oh my gosh, never go barefoot. I'm barefoot all the time indoors, I hate shoes. I'm 61 and it's too late for me to change my natural habit. Maybe it's because I am part Native American.

MoccasinLanding ~ I'm all for herbs for health and well being. I had to look up bone spurs and this is what I found. Maybe you already know and are taking these.

Bone spurs can be prevented and effectively treated with calcium and magnesium supplements. A proper balance of these nutrients prevents abnormal calcium deposits from forming. The digestive enzyme betaine HCI helps the body absorb these nutrients.

Natural anti-inflammatory supplements which may be of help are whole leaf, cold processed aloe vera juice, glucosamine sulfate, shark cartilage, bromelain, evening primrose oil, and kelp.

Â Calcium, 1,200 mg
    Â Magnesium, 600 mg
    Â Glucosamine sulfate, 500 mg daily
    Â Bromelain, 2 capsules between meals
    Â Evening primrose oil, 500 mg
    Â Kelp, 1 tsp. daily
    Â Vitamin C, to bowel tolerance

FlowerLady

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

"The last photo taken with others names added, is too small for me to add your name. Maybe they can do that. "

I don't know why that last leg pic ended up so small. I tried numerous times to change it - only size options are smaller! I copied it from one of the larger pics posted before it, added my name, saved to my pic file, uploaded to photobucket and inserted into the post. and it was so much smaller than the others!

can anyone copy my name from the small one to a larger one? or just add my name on a larger one also?

• emagineer
    13 years ago

I still have the original pic. Post your names and I'll add them. Lost count as to who needed help.

Sandy

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

I'd like to be signed on there, if you're doing them. I'll admit, I have no idea how to do it myself! FLgargoyle is fine, or if you're pressed for space- 'Jay'. Thanks!

Loretta- Hope you're feeling better every day!

Jay

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

to save room you can just use 'Steph' for me!

thx!

• peegee
    13 years ago

Loretta - I've been lurking around here for some time, and wanted to respond - my first thought when reading about your misfortune was thank goodness you finished your wonderful porch so that you have that special little spot to recuperate in!!!! I'm sure it's not how you intended to put it to good use so soon, but relax and enjoy it as much as you can!!!! I so enjoyed reading about your plans and quick follow-through in bringing your dream to fruition - I so admire that!! Know that I wish I could sign your cast too!
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!!! Penny G.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I'm making steady progress (I think). I had my first outing. I Went to Wally World! I had my son take me about midnight so the aisles would not be crowded. I rode the little cart around the store and just enjoyed being out.
    I'm able to use one crutch sometimes, so I feel pretty good. But I am following you all's advice - I am not over doing it.
    Penny, I am really enjoying the porch. There have been several days that I sit out there from morning coffee until dark. I take my laptop out there and play games or look at movies.
    That was such a cool idea about signing the cast. I have several different versions circulating around! Thanks Anita.
    I found this great smiley

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Penny,
    You must be as bad as I am. I don't remember you, glad you showed up. Went to an old thread here where many introduced themselves and amazed at the many people remembered. Wonder where they all went.

Also, looking at old threads, there are some beautiful homes posted. It would be nice to have them all in one thread. Of course some are lost, but maybe a way to get them together. I'll think on it.

• User
    13 years ago

Love your smiley, Loretta. Too cool.
    Will we be seeing your picture among the ones for THE PEOPLE OF WAL-MART? A big old store with wide aisles is the perfect place for an outing. It's airconditioned too.

Sandy, it is a cyclical thing IMHO. Folks are here when they think about their homes and "issues." It happened with the Alabama Gardening forum, we had such a good group scattered across the state, and now I feel like Lonesome George over there....everyone is from the northern part of the state, Birmingham or close. Where did all the Mobile people go?

Of course, I've had concerns split between AL and MA, doing plant selection for a zone 5B climate is totally different in my experience. And decorating that house up there was a LOT of fun and even more work. I just don't have the energy that I used to, but we are slowly getting the two houses and gardens done.

It's interesting when someone from a previous cycle comes back, like Penny. I wonder what you think of the place now, Penny? Do you feel estranged and remote? Or do you think you'd find it nice to hang out again? There is always room for one more, and you know how to chime right in and pick up where you left off.

Glad to see you here, Penny.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Loretta, glad to hear you are doing better--I agree, it's so nice that you can spend your convalescence on the porch. I used to work afternoon shift years ago, and preferred doing most of my shopping after midnight.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying signing the cast. Do you have a lot of real signatures? LOL, about Bible study--if you were a FWB from So.Ohio, they would have come to you, first thing!

I hope I'm not too new, myself, to welcome Penny. I really appreciate everyone here.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Hi Loretta. So glad you found a way to get out for the day. Gads it has been quite awhile being home. Also glad to hear the pain level is down some. So glad your porch is a nice place for you so spend lots of time. It really is a darling space.

Welcome Penny. The more the merrier.

Chris

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

How's your leg, Loretta? Hopefully you are not in pain anymore and are able to get around as you need to.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went to the doctor last week for my checkup. He said it was beginning to mend and I should get the cast off on July 1 - which will be 7 weeks. I had been having lots of pain in my heel because my cast had a soft spot under the heel. The tech re-enforced it and it made a world of difference right away.
    I am definitely doing better. I can walk around the house without any aid as long as I have a thick-soled shoe on my other foot. There's not a lot of pain - so thats a good thing.
    Is it legal to drive with your left foot................{{!gwi}}

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Oh yes, it is! I drove with my left foot much of my 17th and 18th years due to knee problems and surgery. Before I could even bend my knee after surgery, I was driving myself to PT using my left. Back in those days (I believed people call them the "Middle Ages" now) cars had lots more room. I could throw my right leg over the "hump" to the passenger side to get it out of the way. If you have the room to get your foot away from the pedals, give it a try and you may find you can do it, too.

It is great that they were able to fix your cast so that you are no longer in pain. Now maybe you can enjoy your 'down time." With all those projects you have been doing lately, how are you tolerating the time off of your feet? Do you have hobbies you can do now that you are feeling better?

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

So good to hear you are doing better and healing Loretta. Heck I drove with one eye sewn shut for two months you ought to be able to drive with one leg. Heheheh WE would make a pair now wouldn't we. Be well friend.

Chris

• User
    13 years ago

OMG, aren't you two something! Loretta and Chris, you take the cake.

Shades, were you driving on long open stretches of highway out in Idaho, or were you on city streets? I depend on my depth perception to keep me out of trouble.

But when I am on those long treks between Alabama and Massachusetts and driving all the way without a stop (only gas for 1450 miles) I used the cruise control and exercised my legs and arms to keep circulation going. Before I had a cruise control, I'd drive with my left foot too. Keeping the right out of the way was an issue. I take my hat off to Nancy for thinking about THROWING HER LEG OVER THE HUMP!!!!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

idie- maybe it'd be a good time to sort out old photos - or recipes. rewrite some?

don't start doing too much now...like cleaning house!

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have laughed until I have tears in my eyes! Everytime I think about ML exercising her ARMS while driving, Chris driving with one eye, and Nancy with her leg accross the hump - well!
    I drove around the bloc a few times to get the feel of it, then went to get my hair done! (Its only 6 blocks). I won't do that everyday, but it's nice to know I can get around if I need to.
    Steph, there is no chance of me doing extra house work, sick or well! It took me a long time to figure out if I kept my house tidy it would not be such a pain to clean up! But still, I know my mom would be so dissappointed in me, lol. She was a neat freak.

I have a question about medical care, so I think I'll ask it here.

Have any of you heard of Concierge Care Physicians? They limit their patients, charge a yearly 'wellness fee' and are more accessible to you for care.
    My primary care doctor is going this route. His yearly fee is $1500! I read a disscussion about this on another board, and this seems to be the going rate.

Even though I have high blood pressure and cholesterol, I have had great success with the very first meds I tried, so I only go to the doctor once a year for my physical. I just cannot see paying $1500 a year. So I guess the search is on for a new doctor.
    Ok the rant is over, lol

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

"Steph, there is no chance of me doing extra house work, sick or well! It took me a long time to figure out if I kept my house tidy it would not be such a pain to clean up!"

same here Idie! I was so sick for such a long time it all went downhill. pushing it back 'uphill' is too exhausting...

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

ML We were actually living in California heavy traffic when I had to have my eye sewn closed.Living dangerously. Actually I had more problems in the grocery stores than on the roads.I gave it up and Hubby has done the grocery shopping now for the last 25 years. Woo Hoo. Works for me.

Loretta so glad you were able to get out on your own a bit. Does make a person feel better to get out a bit with out having to ask for a driver. Just be careful.

Chris

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got my cast of yesterday

It is still very sore and swollen, but I'm sure that will get better with time. I had no idea there could be that much dry and dead skin on the human body!

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH BOY Loretta. Take it easy for awhile. Do not want to over do it. I remember most how light my leg felt when I broke my ankle and had to adjust my walk.

I am so glad this ordeal is over for you. Now get to work!!! Joking of course. But I am anxious to see what you come up with next.

Chris

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Bet it felt good to scratch and take a real bath. Do you have to go to PT now?

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

oh great! I'd been wondering about it...

aaahhhh - that must feel sooooo good! btdt!

• User
    13 years ago

Loretta, congratulations on having the cast off!
    You can use the spaghetti fork to scratch your leg now--it works very nicely on backs too.

Take it easy and enjoy the weekend and the holiday. I just finished watching my THIRD NETFLIX movie tonight. Part of the marathon.

• navi_jen
    13 years ago

Loretta,

I'm sorry to hear about your break, but glad to hear you are up and around. If you can, I would strongly recommend physical therapy. When I blew out my ACL 3 years ago, I was on crutches for weeks. It was suprising how unbalanced my back, abdominal, and leg muscles were..I had back spasms so bad I ended up in the ER. Even if its just for a couple of weeks, it will help prevent problems down the road.

Regardless, glad to hear you are feeling better!

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the well wishes all! It turns out that I had an Oblique fracture of the right Fibula about 3" above the ankle. Who knew?

Its feeling pretty good - just very sore. The cast was so uncomfortable at night in bed, so I feel great with it gone.

The doctor said he didn't think I needed therapy. But he said if my range of motion has not improved in 2 weeks to give him a call and he will give me a referral.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Heavy Timber Specialists | Best of Houzz 2020!