Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judithva_gw

And so the demo begins...

judithva
13 years ago

Hi all, I don't post here too often and do lurk occasionally. I decided to post here since my home is very small(940 sqft), and perhaps with this demo, even smaller (but it will look larger with the wall down, (I HOPE) LOL

My house is/was a 3 bedroom, now 2, which is fine with me, I am not moving till I die, but hey, I figure if one really needs a 3rd bedroom they can always rebuild the wall... LOL I am into living for ME, life is short, I had cancer and miserable chemo 3 years ago, and it has lately opened my eyes to doing what I WANT to do.. and you know, it feels really good! LOL

Here is the wall before I began, the entry door opened directly in the living room (which I hate), so now with the bedroom wall coming down, the living room will be where the bedroom was (now larger since the closets were taken out), and the dining room which was squished next to my mini-micro kitchen will go where the living room was.

Maybe one day I can enlarge the kitchen, but meanwhile the old dining room will be a small sitting area.

Excuse the exteme mess, I was testing out the idea first by moveing my dining table to the new area (the matching chairs are in another room), and I have loads of junk removed from the former small bedroom into the "new dining room to make their way into the garage (thank goodness for garages!)

Original "tv" wall.

This was my dining area before:

This was my living room before(now to be the dining room:

This is what I accomplished today, more drywall removal and some of the framing. This is taking me awhile since I work,(I started last week) and I try to clean as I go. I can't remove any more framing until I get the electrical fellow out to remove/move the electrics. Tommorrow being a holiday, I will be "punching out" the rest of the drywall on the other side of the wall (now I just need to get rid of the exercise equipment in the room LOL)

Comments (138)

• judithva
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

idie2live, I know, the information out there on the grey water is mind boggling! It goes from the simple to the complex! the hose bit did cross my mind, but I do want to try to do it with-in codes, I would hate to get into trouble LOL
    desertsteph, yes, that is a good idea too, in the long run I really want to hide it though, I know I am being a pain in the b..... LOL

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

fed my dogs and finished reading above...

judith - your kitchen is very small. you'll be so thrilled when it's all opened up - you'll have room for a dw too! I think it'll be just super for you. you can sit at the bar for coffee or a sandwich. talk to friends sitting there while you fix something. it'll be wonderful.

did you get a price on digging into the slab for plumbing? someone on kitchen did it and was so worried about the cost - when she had it done she said it wasn't as expensive as she thought. check it out. get a few estimates on it. there's already wiring out there - a washer only needs a regular socket. and for water out, I agree on the grey water. I planned to do that here - depends on what's already in the laundry room. do you have much yard there?

can they run the water from your water heater straight over to the washer? it'd be so much easier to have w/d together. and give more space in the kitchen!

I was going to get my really new mfg home a yr after I moved out here. just wanted to live on the land awhile before i decided how I wanted to do it...then I got sick and had to quit work... it's been 12 yrs! this old trailer dbf gave me to use temporarily wasn't meant to be lived in this long! he'd been using it to store equipment. Not working didn't lend itself to getting a loan either.

btw, if anyone comes to look at the equipmnt let one of your neighbors know. if you know one well enough have them wait til 'buyer' is in about 5 mins. and come over to borrow sugar, eggs, anything...

• User
    13 years ago

Judith, about selling your furnishings and the exercise equipment.

Is there a consignment shop in town?
    Having it moved over there would be a big plus, and you could then have it out of your way. You could even list it on CL that it was located there. I think CL lets you do that.

I don't like strangers coming to my house either. Which is why I donate most stuff or give it to young couples starting out.....our neighbors up north knew someone who needed to set up their apartment. Also, they took a whole LOT of glass vases and such to give to a friend of theirs who had a flea market booth. We did not want to trash it, since much of it was nice enough. But planning to close that house up north is forcing us to make some hard choices. Naturally, DH's children don't want the "old" stuff. Cannot say I blame them.

• judithva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

desertsteph, you understand the layout exactly, that is what I am wanting from the "fix-up". About 4 years ago I had a contractor come out and give me an extimate for moving the washer to the garage. He quoted me $3,000.00 to attch water line from the water heater to the washer, and then to dig out all the way thru the garage out over the driveway then connecting to the waterpipe leading out from the house. For me $3,000.00 is a whole lot of money, and it is probably even more for it to be done since time has passed since the quote. :( But, I totally agree, having the washer out of the kitchen would be such a difference! As for the grey water, even that takes close study, some of the setups are complex, and might cost as much as getting it piped! so more study on my part is required. I do have a decent sized backyard, nothing like what you have though, you lucky thing! :)

I can relate to the getting sick part, it is amazing how one's life can be turned upside down just like that. I am glad you have had your bf to be there supporting you along the way! I am glad things are working out for you now with your home, it is just so exciting I am sure (I know I would be thrilled :)

A dishwasher is a thought I definately considered, I really don't need one, but it would be nice to have one for my DD or renter if something happens to me and she wants to live there or rent it out. But it is another expense. Money saved for me there would be able to go towards cabinets and such. Also since my fridge is about 12 yrs old now, so it is in the back of my mind I may need to replace that down the road, I can live without a dishwasher but not a fridge LOL.

moccasinlanding, having the exercise equipt moved by me isn't practical to happen, I don't know anyone with a truck, and I would really need a truck to get it to the consignment shop, plus taking apart the equipt is very complicated, inside the equipt is ball bearings, they enable the smooth movement of the "bar", the installers told me a long time ago, if one wasn't careful the bearings would end up everywhere if it was not taken down properly, so if someone buys this stuff I will make them aware of this and they will have to take apart the machine themselves and be responsible for it. Ahhhh this is such a pain, I would love to just take it apart, and put it in the garage and sell it, but I doubt it would sell well taken apart, and again, I would have to be the dismantler....of course in the long run if I can't get rid of it, I will have to take it apart anyway to get it out, I just want to give it a try in selling it first. But otherwise I am like you, I have donated things in the past, I hate doing yard sales and I feel better if others can use the things that I don't have room for or need anymore.

I am sorry you have to make those hard choices getting rid of some things, I have been there and done that too, it is very hard! I had a beautiful wall unit I had bought in Germany, but it just did not fit in this tiny house, it broke my heart to have to get rid of it!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Judith, I like the way you think. So many people think they can make their stuff work in the house and it just doesn't. As hard as it is to get rid of, it is really better to be able to move around in your house with furniture that fits. I have been working on dh for several years about getting rid of our dresser so our bedroom has more space but he just won't hear of it since our closet is so small.

I don't really need a dishwasher either and if you rent the house out, it's just one more thing you might have to repair.

I remember reading an article about some people in California who did their own graywater plumbing. I think they did it under the radar but it looked like it worked fine. I did a quick search but couldn't find it.

• User
    13 years ago

Marti8a says: " I have been working on dh for several years about getting rid of our dresser so our bedroom has more space but he just won't hear of it since our closet is so small. "

Marti, you can do what I did, if you have a set of stairs.
    Get it half way up or down, and then OOPS.

When I was bringing down the long low dresser/chest from upstairs and sliding it down the stairs on its smooth top surface, it got away from me and a leg sticking up in the air caught the door to our bedroom at the base of the stairs. Hmmmm, well, that door was not the new one, so no reall harm done.

I think anyone who rents their property out has to have nerves of steel, or pretty much get such a good renter that they will stay forever and take care of things. I have a nurse friend who now owns about 5 rental homes, and she is always painting or fixing and redoing after some family or couple moved out in the middle of the night without paying their rent. I just cannot even think about doing it.

We LOANED (for utility cost only) our house up north to a retired couple who lived on their sailboat. But, they needed a place to live during the winter months when the boat was out of the water.
    Since she was going thru chemo and radiation for breast cancer, we wanted to do something nice for them. And it was, we thought, beneficial to both sides, since our house would not be empty all winter. It did not quite work out that way.

Needless to say, they messed up the new baseboard heating system and the zoned thermostat system, the wireless router setup; spilled some chemical upstairs which dripped through the carpet and hardwood floor, and softened the plaster ceiling of the downstairs parlor; moved all our furniture around; blew out the glass doors of the recirculating fireplace and melted the andirons by apparently making too hot a fire,....and a few other things to boot which did not require effort to correct. The fire thingy was the one which was the last straw for me. We discovered what had happened when we started clearing out the ashes. It takes a LOT to melt andirons!

And the next winter they asked to come back. Our nerves could not take it.

• idie2live
    13 years ago

Judith, don't worry about turning down our suggestions. We realize that most of them may not work for you. We just throw them out to keep the creative juices flowing and then sometimes it helps someone else reading the threads. We totally understand budget restraints! lol

Have you read the thread about Nancy's new kitchen? She bought cabinets (quality cabinets) removed for a remodel. Just something to think about while you finish your living room remodel.
    Loretta

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Good grief! I can't imagine doing that to someone else's house. I don't think my nerves could take renting out my house either. I might be able to buy a house that was already a rental and then renting it, but not the house I have slaved over. We did rent a house we couldn't sell when we moved here, but we also sold it to the people who were renting so I never had to see what kind of damage they did.

That deal was what kind of soured me on realtors though.

Ditto what Loretta said. We like brainstorming ideas, sometimes it doesn't help the person who asked, but someone later who might read the thread. Or it might not help anyone. lol It helps me start thinking in new ways when I'm at a dead end.

• User
    13 years ago

I had a lovely front loading Whirlpool washer. It was much smaller than the usual type of washing machine. And boy did it get the laundry clean.

I have a photo of it in place in our house on the river that was destroyed by Katrina. Last night, I browsed through that album, and was really surprised how emotional it felt to remember all the work I'd put into redoing it, only to lose it the same summer.

I quite frequently put forward the things which I've done in every house, but do not mention that house very often. It is like a stillborn baby that had so much promise but never quite made it in the real world. It was to have been our dream home, our love nest, a fantasy waterfront retreat.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

AW ML I so know how you feel having had the same happen to us only flood and not hurricane. I loved that hot spring house so much. Even if it did have a loft. Heheheheh It was so pretty and the hot spring pool and hot tub were wonderful.All that hot water around to heat the house and take the pain out of my bones. Was a dream house and when we bought it I could hardly believe we found such a wonderful place. Three years of working on the whole place house and yard and everything we did was lost and then some. Then another year putting it all back together day after day. And then another 5 months before we were able to sell the place. I can feel it in my tummy right now how hard it hit us.The only good part is the people that bought the place just love it and they are our friends. And STILL our friends. Which sometimes does not happen when you sell some one something.

I remember Katrina and it was still pretty raw in my heart the pain we went through. I cried for all of you.

Judith. I saw on Holmes on Holmes on HGTV where they jack hammer through the cement slabs to get plumbing off to another area of the house. Shaking my head as to how it is done . I believe it would be very expensive.

We had a gray water set up with our washing machine and the drain pipe out in the yard just went out to a great big pussy willow bush. So no one really knew about it. I used to walk down and water it by hand too. Mostly because I rarely used the washer. Took too long to fill with our low water pressure at that house. 45 minutes for each fill. Heck I could wash the clothes by hand. I took them to the laundromat to wash them then hung them on the line at home.

I do not know all the legalities for gray water.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: WWWAAAAHHHHHHH

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Oh Chris, how awful!

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Yah it was bad. Also the temperature does not show in the pictures other than some snow. But many of the days while we were working under the house were at ZERO degrees and one day was 9 below zero. We had to keep working. I remember picture 26 was zero because we were worrying about when we could get cement poured. We really needed something under the house and there was another raise in the river coming our way. There was nothing to keep it back. the government sent the core of engineers in emergency and they finally started to rebuild the dike that came apart. With the way it was the whole town was exposed to more of the same flood.

Sorry Judith did not mean to hijack your thread.

Back to your house.

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Judith I just remembered something at our last house. The guy put in a hand washing sink in the laundry room. There was not proper plumbing for it, only the washer drain, so see if you can follow this. Might save you from having to dig through the cement slab depending on where your water heater is verses where doors and all are.

He took the regular drain size pipe like the one a washer drains into and ran it along from sink trap behind dryer and then forked it into the washing machine drain. The same might work for a washing machine running the drain line along mounted to your garage wall. You would have to be careful to get the right fall on it. You can not drop a drain line from washer down. They have to go up and then down and it is critical on the first height up. But the rest of it just needs a slight fall and you have to use the right size drain pipe. Not sure how cold it gets in your area would you have to worry about freezing? So if you have a wall you can run along instead of the floor it might save you lots in the tearing up of your floors. Course then you still need to go across the drive. Need more of your floor plan to see how close the garage line could come out to the yard drop where it needs to go.

Just another thought. It worked well in our house but then a sink does not have the volume a washer does when it is pumping. I do think it would work though because if it will run in the floor why not along the wall??? It is all about getting the proper fall.

• soinspired
    13 years ago

Judith: I just visited the Holiday Forum and they are wondering about you! I told them you have been posting on here and that you've been remodeling. Isn't nice to be missed?

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

"Ditto what Loretta said. We like brainstorming ideas, sometimes it doesn't help the person who asked, but someone later who might read the thread."

absolutely! we never know who is lurking and might jump on an idea posted here!

for 3,000.00 you could by some dandy small washer - lol! wow, that's a ton of money! I'd still have a few others give an estimate. dbf has a guy do work for him (electrical work) who charges 2 arms and a leg to do anything...dbf sent him out once to put in one of those special outlets next to my kitchen sink. shouldn't take an electrician more than 15 minutes to do that... well, a few hrs later... he even drove all the way out to my place WITHOUT the switch part. guess he wanted to be sure I had normal electricity or something (not really, he'd already done work here on my wiring). oh yeah, one of those little rectangular spaces to plug things in... then he had to drive 10 miles back to buy it... I never found out how many hundreds he charged dbf for that... and sometimes if it's a job they don't want to do for some reason they estimate it to be much more than it really is.

on the dw - I haven't had one in 20 yrs. I haven't cared or even wanted one until recent yrs. Being sick tho it's hard for me to keep up. If I feel good enough to cook something up then i'm too zapped to do up the dishes. it might flow better when I get a sink that doesn't leak too. it'd be a lot easier to do dishes if I could just turn on the faucet and run water into the sink - but I can't! I probably won't use the dw more than twice a week but i'm getting one - lol! if I weren't sick so often, I wouldn't tho. I'm one who normally doesn't mind doing dishes by hand.

• judithva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, hi all, I have not been near a computer since Thursday. I took time of to work on the house and get my wits together (just found out I am being given another persons job, she retired, and well hey, work has to go somewhere sigh... Don't get me wrong, I treasure that I have a job, but my job right now is something 8 plus hrs, don't know how I will do another... I guess I will just have to tear up more things..it is oddly satisifying LOL

I decided since I was going to have the electrican come in for the "new LR", that I might as well start demo on the kitchen area, that way he can do all of the electric at once (at least that is what I am hoping).

marti8a, I'm like you, even when I had a dishwasher I didn't use it that much, and I really don't mind doing them by hand, most likely I will not put one in.

moccasinlanding, Wow that is some story about your renters, it is amazing that they did not burn the place down! I don't see me renting out this place myself, the renting aspect will be a choice my DD will have once I "croak off" LOL, homeownership will be up to her then, she can either move in, rent it or sell it. I would hope she would like it, but I am into pleasing me at this stage of my life, either way it is a bonus for her eventually.
    How horrible for you to have lost your home to Katrina, I have a fear of that too, especially since a few years ago we had a hurricane hit hard here too, my house was surrounded by water, it is only because the "tides" were going in the right way, otherwise I would have been flooded, but I have giant trees on my property and are surrounded by the neighbors trees too, luckly only one tree fell on my property and it fell missing the house by 10 ft! I was not even home, I was "volunteered" to work an emergency position, so I worried constantly about my DD and her BF that were in the house (her BF lost his car due to flooding though, it was parked in front of the house on the street, they took a nap, and when they woke up flood waters everywhere...it doesn't take much!)

idie2live, I do love the suggestions, you never know when one may strike a cord :)

Chris, I am so sorry to hear about the flooding you experienced too, it is amazing how many people have been thru disasters! I am glad you were able to get things back together for yourselves. Thanks for your input on the greywater thing, I really want to do it, I just hate the washer in the kitchen! When I had a plumber come out, he did suggest running the pipe along the floor of the garage to go outside to the front. But would still have to dig up a portion of the outside part of the driveway, and then dig up the yard to go to the pipe to the street, still lots of money in the end...

soinspired, thank you I will pop in there to say hi, I haven't been there in ages, or for that fact even my own blog, health and life issues have gotten in the way, I am amazed at myself for finally "just doing it", but this project is really taking up alot of my time.

desertsteph, My, that electrican really gave you a hard time, I would really be ticked off at him! I am hoping the few that I inteview for this will be "good people", I hate getting taking advantage of, I don't mind paying for a decent price, but I expect the person to do professional SAFE work! I am sorry you are having ongoing health issues, I know exactly how you feel! I try to take the good days with the bad days, and hope the bad don't last too long. I know what you mean by starting something and then running out of steam! I had to work in my yard for a full day in 90 degree weather, I had put it off doing the house stuff and the yard was in bad shape, so it is a constant juggleing act.

Here is some photos of what I did in the house these last few days and nights. (I am pooped)!
    LOOKING INTO THE KITCHEN, DRYWALL GUTTED (MORE OR LESS)

LOOKING FROM INSIDE THE KITCHEN TO THE AREA THAT WILL HOLD SOME WALL CABINETS AND FRIDGE AND THE EATING ISLAND-TO THE LEFT OF THE PHOTO

LOOKING AT WHERE THE ISLAND WILL BE, YOU CAN SEE MY "PRETEND" ISLAND IN THIS PHOTO. I THINK I WILL BE TAKING DOWN THE WALL YOU SEE NEXT TO THE "ISLAND", AND WILL DO A KNEE WALL, THAT WAY I CAN STILL HAVE ELECTRICAL..

Well that's it so far folks. Thanks for hanging in there with me :)

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

great work judith! I'm tired out just looking at the work you've done. I like the idea of taking out that wall too. How far to the left of the last pic will the island continue? are you taking out the wall where the baking stand is now? or is that section of wall staying?

• judithva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

trancegemini, LOL, I am tired too! My poor wrists and knuckles are really letting me know I have "stepped out of the box" with all this hammering and tearing down.

Now you come upon my current problem, taking out that wall is causing me to pause, it would work out best being that it would allow me a bit more lower cabinet space for the island (2- 24" cabinets and 1- 18" cabinet), and of course really opening up my area. To answer your question about moving the bar more to the left, yes, I would need to do that a bit to give better clearance between the edge of the bar and the fridge "path". BUT what I am leary of is when I come thru the front door, with this area being so open, will my home now look like some kind of studio apt???? By leaving the wall up, and only butting up the island to it, would still give me a sense of entry. You can see by the last pic I posted the relation of the door to the possible view into the kitchen area. This would be solved easily if I could just put the fridge where the washer is, then I could leave up the "entry wall", and just put the "new" island facing into the sink area, fridge, and stove. Whereas right now the island is set up to be looking out the sliding glass doors (which I do like too).

I do not regret at all taking down the 2 above pictured walls at all, either way I am happy with that, it is just a question of moving on with removing the entry wall, or waiting it out longer to be able to move the washer to the garage.

So, the big question is folks, do you think the whole house will be too open, if the wall comes down between the kitchen and entry area?

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

you know I've just realised you have the same layout from the front door as my house! LOL. you walk in the front door to the LR and see the wall where the kitchen is on the other side with the dining room (in my case the tiniest most useless room you can imagine) left of the kitchen. How did I not see that before? :)

yep, I see what you're saying about coming in the front door and seeing straight into the kitchen now, I don't think I'd like that in my house so my thoughts would be to leave that section of wall where it is and have the island coming out from the wall that you're removing now. me, I'd even hide the fridge back there.

I just had a look back at your plans and you have the island floating in the middle, but I'm wondering if you need two entries to the kitchen around the island. Could you extend the island across to the right side wall (as you're looking at the front door from the new kitchen area) and have a peninsula instead of an island?

• judithva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Then you know what I am talking about LOL. The plans you are looking at is my original thought for having the "open kitchen", which I am now not too sure about.
    the fridge was in the spot where the bakers rack is now, I wanted it gone from that spot because of the room it takes up. Plus, if it was back there, then my light and openess is gone again (my view from the island would be largely the side of the fridge.) So I am really trying to make the fridge work where it is pictured presently (in the old DR) OR if I can move the washer, then that would be an ideal spot for the fridge, but that is a long time before I can do that I think. Sigh... I will do a drawing with the island facing into the room and post it. (although in RL I can't implement it until the washer is gone.)

Something that I have to keep in mind too, I can't have the island too far over towards the hallway going to the bedrooms, otherwise the island chairs will block that hallway entry area...like I said I am working with very tight conditions LOL

• judithva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

trancegemini, here is what the room looked like when the fridge was in the original spot. (so you can get an idea of how squished it is. LOL

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Judith. Missing seeing your posts Hope everything is ok?

Chris

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Kudos. Lot of work going on. Was looking at the floor plan about a half a mile or so up the page and was just wondering why you weren't relocating the washing machine. I saw that you did want a smaller one but have you considered stuffing it in a closet that juts into the garage a bit or is your plan not to any real scale and there is no room? If that is not an option I would recommend a miele. They have small, under-counter yet large capacity washers that are very efficient and quiet and your clothes come out very dry. Something that may be a concern as I see you must air dry.

I was cringing when I saw the first photos with your plates and mirrors still on the wall with all the gaping holes around.

Your photos remind me of one of my most favorite people who was also a favorite client who had gotten stiffed on a kitchen remodeling job that left the house open to the New England winter. With eight children ranging from 1 -11 and unable to find anyone who would repair the damage and complete the job she ended up redoing, not only the kitchen, but the entire 4000+ sf house herself and when she was done bought the house next door and so on and so on. She just couldn't stop. Hands down she is one of the best luxury home builders in CT and also does homes in Utah. It's a virus and you may have it. I retired in 2004 and am realizing that I really retired years ago because I always enjoyed what I do. Of course we all have our broken china along the way but when you see your creations come to fruition there's no other feeling like it.

Keep up the good work. Anticipating the finished photos. For now I am off to find some table feet protectors like the ones you have. Where'd you get those?

• judithva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chris, hi, I had been away from here for a while when I read on a couple of different areas on the forum that people were getting virus warnings when they opened up GW, so I did not want to take a chance on getting a virus on my home computer since I don't have a good virus protector. I don't really like to post from my workplace, but I'll chance it today.

Anyhoo, not too much done I have been really researching and living with the idea about taking down the last wall that I was talking about a couple of posts above this. I am still a bit nervous about the TOTAL open kitchen look.
    But, I think I am going to do it, I get a couple of days off in the next 2 wks and I will tackle it then, and get an electrical person in to do everything at one time.

jey_1, In answer to your question about why I am not moving the washer..., my house is on a slab, so moving it to the garage would be very costly, last quote I got for putting it there was $3,000, and there is no where else in my tiny house to move it to so I am in a bit of a hard situation for relocating it.. I do have a dryer in the garage, so I don't have to air dry :) (unless I choose to). I had at one time considered a miele, but at the time, sooo much more money, and if I remember rightly I had to put in a different "wiring" for it. Requirements may have changed though for installing a Miele so I will look into it again.

My goodness, thankfully I am not in the same situation as your friend was with the kitchen being open to the elements, and with so many children no less having to deal with it. My situation is a bit of a mess to deal with, but not life threating. :)

I think it will come out well, in the end, it is just going to take awhile, but I am fairly patient, (I have to be, money is always a consideration) LOL

I am not sure what you mean about "table feet protectors", but I am guessing you are talking about the things you see in the last few pics of the sofa table being "lifted" into the air about 8" high. Those are a heavy duty plastic, they are ment as bed "lifts", for people that want their beds higher off the ground. I purchased mine at Bed Bath and Beyond, (they come in a package of 4). HTH

• User
    13 years ago

Jey_L, hi there! You recently commented on my problem with a derelict garage, over on the Greenhouse Forum. I am very pleased to see you make an appearance here, which is of course my most favorite forum of them all. Us small housers leave no stone unturned as we seek to live large in a small bit of the world.

You are SO RIGHT that remodeling is a virus and I have it too. However, right now my bad shoulder is slowing me down and I cannot finish my demo of a thick plaster wall in the old bath, so the pinch hitting contractor I just found can perhaps finish the job that my original contractor abandoned. It is critical that what is begun be finished, since it requires part of the exterior stucco walls to be taken out. I truly sympathize with the situation you described.

Judith, I'm thinking that you might consider putting a new header into the entry wall, and framing out the space to allow some adjustable shutters to close off the new island when you don't want it exposed. I LOVE shutters, and that would be a fantastic option for you.

Otherwise, I submit you might leave the entry wall as is.
    But reduce the intersecting wall to the pony wall height to hide the electrical supply. Then, on the kitchen side of the island, put in only upper cabinet depth cabs as bases to allow wiggle room for whatever you leave in that corner where the washer is presently located. By doing it this way, you can break the relocation of washer OR fridge to a time in the future, but know which way you want to go so all electrical and plumbing can be handled now.

To complete the island as I propose in previous paragraph, how about installing full depth base cabs on the opposite side of the pony wall, backed up to the other shallower cabs on the kitchen side? I would put a countertop across the whole thing, even the part which will overhang to give some counter height seating which would be visible from the entry. Or maybe just the stools visible, whatever. You could, of course, add a short wing wall to extend the entry wall to hide the entire counter; or only open when you wish it to be, maybe with the shutters...I always try to work them in somewhere, don't cha-kno. :)

As for a selection of a washing machine or laundry. I have the Frigidaire stacking "laundry center," and both units came as one, both front loading, and wonderful. Energystar stuff, one plug, uses almost NO water, slings the clothes dry, very short drying time. Sometimes the wash ends up so dry, I thought I'd forgotten to do it. This unit will fit any place a washer would, except under some low stairs. But if you plan to move your laundry into the garage, you will love how little floor space it uses. We bought ours from Sears when they had a special.

There was something called "ferrules" which were metal protectors for table and chair legs. They used them when I worked at a library, to protect tables and chair legs from the cleaning equipment they used to do the floors. I betcha you could find them at LEEVALLEYTOOLS.COM Those folks have EVERYTHING. And they are good to do business with.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Judith you can down load Avast antivirus. It is free and you get a Key with it you renew each year. But the program is free. I have mine set to always check for new updates and it scans once a week of so. We have it on three computers and it works great.

Glad you are ok. I just want to check with you on removing the last wall. You have checked into the proper supports and all. do not want the ceiling falling in on you.

Chris

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

glad to see you back judith.

you can always check your system with a free scan on Trend Micro too.

• User
    13 years ago

Judith, I subscribe to Trend Micro and have for years. The free online scan HOUSE CALL, was my introduction to their services. I am careful about where I go and don't accept much (if any) of the FORWARD FORWARD FORWARD email stuff. And I delete items not solicited. All my email accounts are forwarded to one spot and I answer from there.

DH tells me that the MIT guys are about to make Microsoft operating systems obsolete, and every computer will be able to operate with only software. I'm waiting for that day to arrive, and then I'll get a new laptop. In 2006 I got this laptop, very hotshot, latest, biggest, most powerful, etc, so it is holding up fine as long as I can continue with XP.

One thing though: I am disillusioned with Facebook and the other social networking sites. So I am deactivating it. I already deleted most of the information about me that was there. Don't know how those creep hackers can put 2 x 0 together and get anywhere, but seems they can. So I am opting OUT of those sites. Gardenweb is providing me with conversations enough on topics more important to me. And, of course, the Yahoo Groups on topics dear to my heart.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

moccasin - I have Trend Micro also. really like it. I used the free one for yrs.

i don't go with facebook or others either. ds wants me to sign on there to see pics he has on of gkids. I wanna see the pics but hesitate to sign up there.

I spend enough time here anyway!

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Hy Judith, Everyone, Moccasinlanding,

This isn't a social networking site? Seems to me this is one of the most social forums on the net. There are some features I'd like to see though because I get lost and can't always find posts that I'd like to watch or have commented on. Thanks for redirecting me back to the greenhouse forum to find your post again ML. Not sure if you had replied but I have been unable to stumble across it again. Will be going there next.

Actually about my friend.. we weren't friends then. This was about 40 years ago and it's because she caught the bug that we ended up meeting. It was probably one of the best "misfortunes" of her life. She, like most of the people here, see the diamonds in the rough and she has transformed entire neighborhoods that were drab and ugly or dilapidated into beautiful places (even affluent neighborhoods have ugly and rundown homes). During an update about 10 years ago she did lose the home to fire but that turned out well too because she had a spec home available across the water which was considerably smaller (2500±) and was able to rebuild for one of her sons. With her "spec" means spectacular as opposed to speculation.

Judith,

Yes you are right about the initial investment and the wiring of the miele. They are made for European specs. There was always mention of a line for the US market it but I'm not sure they ever did. The first one I had was about 6 years old when I got it A homeowner was tossing everything in their remodel so I took it thinking I would be doing rags and such in the garage but when I installed it and checked everything out It became THE washing machine and our new one ended up in the garage. It was a very crooked old house that I ended up disassembling to reclaim the vertical grain fir trim and chestnut framing so I ended up passing it along and it is still inservice to this day. When I did replace it I thought they were giving me a price for building the house around it but I was able to persuade some of my clients at the time to use them too it worked out to be about a leg and three fingers.

Something to consider if you haven't already is a used water reclamation systems. If your your washer is the only thing hooked up to it you can get by with a very small one and have utility water for your washer and something to wash your car with. Just a thought. You already have hot and cold lines to tap into which you can really do yourself with compression fittings and grey-water removal seems to be the only problem. With proper planning this is something that can be done in the future when budget allows and you can put a dishwasher in it's place.

You've taught an old dog a new trick. I've never seen bed lifts before or even heard of such a thing. They just looked like toilet brush holders or something to me. I hadn't really noticed the clutter because of all the eye candy and beautiful furniture but they stood out like neon flashers. I love ingenuity. Another thing to consider for you island is that they can be made on casters and you'd never even know it except for the times you need to move it to get appliances in/out or just need extra space for entertaining or something.

• mary_ruth
    13 years ago

Judith, I thought I left a message here, but do not see it now. try one more time. I think I hit only the preview button, forgot how this board worked!

I like that you had the courage to open up the walls you have been mentally looking through for a long time. It is wonderful to finally have the open feeling in your house. You are taking charge of the space and truly making a home! I hope to be doing the same in the near future as we discussed.

I love the feel of the 'new' house! And your furniture will look fantastic in that space with more room around it! Will be watching for updates!

• User
    13 years ago

Hey Judith, et al.
    Welcome to the forum, Mary Ruth and good to see you again, JeyL....

Judith, we are reaching critical mass with the length of this thread. Do you think we could prevail upon you to make a continuation into a JudithVa's Redo Part Two? And of course link back to this portion?

One thing to consider with the move of the washer to the garage is that your fridge will be backed up to the wall shared with it. And will you need a source of cold water for that icemaker? If so, you can run the cold water through the wall to the relocated washing machine. I would consider adding a small instant water heater, AKA tankless water heater, if you choose to have a hot water wash option. Then the grey water recycling option would be quite easily installed maybe out behind your garage.

Once upon a time manyy years ago, we lived in a slab house and when we investigated the outside utility room just off the carport, the washing machine drained into the front flowerbed. I had planted some variegated privet hedges there, and they were supposed to be smallish plants, but those near the effluent were super huge. Our soil was sandy, and it did not take long for the wash water to sink into the ground. Not an ideal setup, but it worked while we lived there.

I also want to comment on the new light coming into your kitchen beside the stove. If that is an exterior window, can you possibly put a couple of glass or Lexan shelves across the window? Then you can put a potted plant there, or even a few of your cooking spices. Or maybe the vinegar bottle. An olive oil container must protect it from light, or I'd suggest locating that there too. Objects with stained glass jewel tones would look nice there too. Even frame out the window with strips of glass tiles or mirror tiles which would bring in even more light.

Just a thought. The window is so pure and glowing, it is a treasure to have it there.

• mary_ruth
    13 years ago

Just wondering how it is going Judith?

• User
    13 years ago

Me too, Mary Ruth. Long time no hear.

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all,
    I thought I would pop in and show you how far I have gotten. Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.
    Please excuse the nightmare mess, it has improved as I am having some company for Christmas.
    There is a link to my blog, but you guys are seeing the further along photos here.

Another view of the kitchen, I had to buy a new frig, the old one went on me, it leaked freone -(spelling?) all thru the house, it stunk to high heaven!

Another view, eventually this wall unit will be replaced by floor to ceiling cabinets to hide all the small appliances and dishes. But in the meantime, I think I will paint it white, the dark color is like a black hole, it just sucks in all the light that I need in the kitchen.

the other side of the kitchen. I HATE the washing machine being in there. Eventually I hope to have a tiny front loader put there and build the floor to ceiling cabs around it since moving the washer has proven to be pretty much impossible.

Looking out from the "new" living room to the "new" dining room, I just need to do the crown molding and the molding around the column and top off the top part of the pony wall.
    (I did repaint, that is why nothing is up on the walls yet. I am not feeling the white paint, it has too much of a grey feel to it)

This has changed a bit, I put the gel fireplace in the new living room, and there is another hutch in front of the bigger hutch you see facing into the kitchen. Eventually there will be a 6ft wide wall there dividing the kitchen and DR, and another ponywall and column....but not until I find another person to build it, I was going to do it, but it involves electricity and proper framing in for the eventual ceiling to floor cabs I want put in...so I am more comfortable having a pro do it. Meanwhile I wait LOL

another view in the DR. Curtains are NOT up yet as I just finished painting, and want to purchase a different rod, but not having much luck finding the length I want. As you can see I need to do the new molding around the door too, and of course the floors...I just don't know what I will do about them. Can't remove the old tile (it has asbetos in them) dont want carpet, dog and carpet is not a good mix, he is good 98% of the time, but I really don't want to deal with cleanup/smell.

I hope everyone is having a great holiday season so far!
    more photos later.....

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

hi Judith,

Fast,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I had trouble with white paint looking too gray too.Found out the white paint off the shelf does have a gray color. I had to have white paint mixed to bright white. That gave me the white I was looking for. Rolling eyes for having to paint the white a second time.

House is looking great. I posted to your flicker pictures as Canary Cottage.

Have to scoot. Time to get to work.

chris

• mary_ruth
    12 years ago

Judith Looking Great! I can't believe that is the same house, so wonderful now with so much light and space!

• ladeeda
    12 years ago

Hi Judith,
    I've been following your tablescapes on the Christmas & Holiday forum for a long while and have been following your makeover with interest. You have come a long way. It is great to see it taking shape (not too soon for you I'm sure!). I'll be here rooting you on lol. Looking forward to viewing your pink and white tree! Blessings, Marann

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

chris, thanks, you are right, I will go with the brilliant white, unless I decide to go with a blue of some sort...I am not sure about the blue though, that leaves me stuck for a long time with a particular color...I didn't mind the yellow-gold color that I had up for about 5 years, it was almost a neutral to me, most things go with the gold color, where as the blue....

mary ruth, thanks! Hey, I will give you a call this weekend.

ladeeda, thanks too! I need the rooting on, it has taken far longer than I thought it would, I miss being able to really decorate, and just get settled, but this is a journey and I will just have to be patient LOL. At least finally I can get back to setting a table for Christmas!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Oh my, Judith, it is going to be beautiful! You have come so far--it is really amazing! Good on you!

Merry Christmas!

• mary_ruth
    12 years ago

I agree, Judith is like a one-woman construction crew! If she had all the tools... watch out!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Judith, it is beginning to really look great. I can see the finish line now. You are one brave woman to have Christmas guests. Is that what keeps you motivated?

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

It's come a long way and is looking great!

Don't worry about having Christmas with construction around you - just ENJOY your friends/relatives. That's what is really important. Even in the midst of the upheaval you have a beautiful space there!

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

shelayne,maryruth, marti8a, desertsteph, Thank you so much for your comments and support!

mary ruth, LOL, I wish I had the tools and the talent.

Marti8a, thanks, I am motivated mostly because it's a gift to myself, which is I guess a selfish thing, but I feel like I deserve to have some happiness cause you never know when it will end. Don't get me wrong, it is frustrating for it to take so long, but I just tell myself that it will happen in time. :)

desertsteph, thanks too, you are right it is all about family being around me for Christmas, my DD and her SO, is understanding about some of the mess that is still left. Last year at Christmas it was a total disaster area and I could have no one over LOL,,I could barely squish by to get to room to room. So this year it feels great!

• mary_ruth
    12 years ago

Judith, You can't get from 'here' to 'there' without taking steps. 5 years goes by anyway (when prospective boss asks 'where do you see yourself in 5 years" No one says, 'right here, the same'. We all want change for the good, BUT you gotta take steps to do that... and that takes courage. YES, like the Lion asking for a badge of courage in The Wizard of Oz, you HAD it all along! I KNOW you will enjoy this house the way you want it, and it is NOT selfish to want to fix your house! And besides I know that inside, you are happy with the house being transformed! I can see the changes and they are GENIUS! I mean the way you changed that space to be so different and UP TO DATE! Many many KUDOS to you!

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mary Ruth,
    thanks Mary Ruth you are always so sweet to me, I really appreciate your support. I'm on my DD's laptop at the bookstore, unfortunately there is no plug near me (this place is packed!) and her laptop battery is low...

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Judith, you really zeroed in on why I have been trying to do so much to my house lately. I lived here for over 10 years without being able to afford to do ONE thing to improve it, and now that the kids are (or were) gone, it's my turn, and I deserve to finally have the house the way I want it. Good for you for doing something for yourself too.

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marti8a, I am so glad that you are going to make things happen for you, you deserve it, life is short, give yourself a gift of contentment and happiness in whatever way you can find. :)

• mary_ruth
    12 years ago

Judith,
    I wanted to leave a message on here for you, 2012! Do you believe it is 2012 already? Your place is looking great! And I love your recent photos, please keep them coming! I am being 'inspired'! Talk to you soon!

The photos are wonderful! You have moved mountains girl, mountains! You are the strongest & and bravest woman I know!

• mary_ruth
    12 years ago

Bumping up so you can find this Judith for when you return to reply, I know you will come on here when you have a good internet connection.

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator