Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Oil Based Paint/Demo With Lead Paint Involved

User
13 years ago

Ok, I think we need to start a thread here easy to find. I notice that Nancy in Mich has issues with it in her kitchen project because possibly oil-based paint can no longer be purchased in Ohio, where she lives.

I have this thread to add here, one I found in Old House forum, and it's been going on for some time now.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/oldhouse/msg0321510322737.html?23

Here is a link that might be useful: New Lead Paint Rules...Options for Older Homes

Comments (5)

• emagineer
    13 years ago

There are new paints which have been developed and work like oil based. Primarily in the auto industry. You can go to an auto paint store and they will mix color, contents, ect. for whatever is needed.

I had read the post you mentioned. There were many questions about my house regarding lead paint and certainly the 100s of old homes around here are in the same situation. Am not sure if this is true or not, but have been told if an old house has layers of paint which are not lead it is not considered an issue.

My house has the original shingles for siding. They are still in great shape, no clue how many coats of paint. But I'm not going to tear them all off and do something else. I do touch up every summer with paint. A great thing about having a white house.

Plus, I've probably lived in houses my whole life with lead, eating fats up for question from years ago and my kids eating stuff no one probably knows about. What this does to me and them is up for grabs.

I do understand concerns regarding children eating lead. I don't understand how the fact the very first layer of paint in my house which may have lead in it affects me. And what are they going to do with my artist paints/chalks/liquids? Been around those all my life too as have my children.

Guess it is time for statistics and other info to smarten me up. Being old I guess this hasn't really been of concern, although I have thought of all exposed to through the years.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Emagineer as long as you curb your appetite for chewing the window sills you should be fine. Heheheh Sorry can not help myself. I am all in with you on this. Now I am considering the little house we had in town could have had lead paints bellow the surface. I even painted a layer of Oil paint in the bathroom cabinets since they already were oil painted.I did not even think about there being lead in the paint. It seems to me we had to sign something on one house we bought about lead paints. I do not remember which house it was or even when it was. Just the discussion.

Chris

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I feel pretty safe about our house--everything has several layers of newer paint, and the house has been re-sided. There is a pile of what appears to be the original baseboard and window trim, in the barn loft, but we haven't disturbed it. Of course the bat droppings that are covering it could give us histoplasmosis, too.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Chris...I was going to say something about that. But your post was more humorous than I would have posted.

I think most sales have a disclosure on lead paint. Most of the time "unknown" is stated. And most people that buy old houses are probably aware of the possiblity. Here we also have a radon disclosure. It is everywhere, I'm not going to spend the money to test it.

And all of this goes back to how many people have been exposed. I'm sure my kids were raised on it. Not to underestimate the problem then or now.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Concerning the radon exposure, they say that the real problem with that is in newer homes which have a better seal and the gas cannot escape. In older homes, the house breathes more, and the gas can exit.

There are lead test kits all over the place to test lead content of even ceramics, since some imported pottery should not be used for even displaying food--like fruit bowls, etc.
    When I was doing ceramics and used glazes they claimed to be "food safe", I would fire a piece to test for lead content--when I tried a new brand or color.

But with radon, I've never lived in a house which was tested for it, since most places were pretty old houses.
    Is that old information and no longer true? Have they since discovered that radon is an issue even in older homes?

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus