Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
young_gardener54

Can I post some eye candy?

young-gardener
12 years ago

Check out this Swiss cottage built in the late 1800's. It oozes detail, and I just couldn't resist sharing it with you cottage lovers out there.

http://www.glidetour.com/home_tour.php?homeID=5925

Here is a link that might be useful: cottage photos

Comments (18)

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

WOWOWOWOWOW I am bookmarking this one. Gorgeous. Every picture is an inspiration. Even yard pictures. It is almost like the person that has this house has been listening to all the dreams of the Small House Board peeps. LOL It has it all. Dang That is so pretty. Thanks for sharing that link.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Thanks young-gardener! I saved several pictures. That house is so much like mine and has the front porch done like I have been thinking about.

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

Must....stop....looking....at....other....houses!

Every time I look at a place like that, I want to start all over with my design. I need to learn not to look....

• maddybeagle
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! I love those dark floors and the wide central hallway.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad you liked it! I could play on MLS all day. Another good place to find cottages? At MLS search "Garden Hills" neighborhood of Atlanta.

• User
    12 years ago

Oh mercy! Did you notice that it is a traditional center hall? With pocket doors to close off both the dining room and the parlor? I wonder if those still work.

But you are right, this is a dream house that someone took a lot of loving care to restore elegantly. Perfect colors, I love the beadboard ceilings too, and the high molding and the KITCHEN!!!!

Young-Gardener, you have really hit pay dirt looking at idea sites. Thank you so much. I copied many of the pics for my computer, since MLS listlings don't stay forever.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, ML! I was in it once, and the pocket doors between the living and dining rooms are lovely french style doors when closed. What really struck me is the ornate hinges on all of the doors. You should've seen the "before" kitchen. It has the original drawer cup pulls. THe kitchen was a mess, but the brass pulls were lovely. Glad you enjoyed the photos!

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, ML! I was in it once, and the pocket doors between the living and dining rooms are lovely french style doors when closed. What really struck me is the ornate hinges on all of the doors. You should've seen the "before" kitchen. It has the original drawer cup pulls. THe kitchen was a mess, but the brass pulls were lovely. Glad you enjoyed the photos!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Oh my, I just want to cry.

That is totally my kind of house. Everything about it, I completely adore!

*right click; save*

Thanks for posting the link! I am going back for a fourth look!

• enigmaquandry
    12 years ago

*gasp*

beyoooooooond stunning

• sherwoodva
    12 years ago

It is gorgeous. I didn't see the square feet in the listing. It looks like a fairly large house. I loved all the white and the built ins. Looks like they did a lot of remodeling.

Sigh. If I could only convince DH to move to GA, LOL!

• User
    12 years ago

Lots of lovely homes in Georgia and Louisiana. But this particular house has such soul to it,...had to be a labor of love restoring or remodeling it.

Once it sells, the pictures will be gone from MLS, so if you like them, bring 'em on home with you now.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

isn't that Alan Jackson's (and Denise) home town?

very lovely home - great detail!

• FlowerLady6
    12 years ago

Wow, what a fantastic cottage. I loved the walls, hardwood floors, all the built-ins, a really nicely restored/kept place.

FlowerLady

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I love the interiors. But doesn't the gingerbread stuff seem a bit off to anyone else? It seems like it was aded on fairly recently. I would like it much better as a clean vernacular cottage sans all the gingerbread (like the garage).

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

desertsteph- Yep, it's their hometown. "Alan Jackson's Momma's House" (as people say here) is about a mile or so from this one.

jakabedy- The gingerbread is actually original. They did try to tame down some of the fluffy factor when making interior updates though. Maybe that's why it seems off?

Colorcrazy- Yeah, they don't list SqFt in GA, which I find really frustrating. That means you have to pull tax records to find it. This cottage is just about 2500 sqft.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

desertsteph- Yep, it's their hometown. "Alan Jackson's Momma's House" (as people say here) is about a mile or so from this one.

jakabedy- The gingerbread is actually original. They did try to tame down some of the fluffy factor when making interior updates though. Maybe that's why it seems off?

Colorcrazy- Yeah, they don't list SqFt in GA, which I find really frustrating. That means you have to pull tax records to find it. This cottage is just about 2500 sqft.

• shadygrove
    12 years ago

Just a mention that this beautiful restoration is STILL for sale....posted a few days ago on Craigslist for $289,990, down from the listed price in Young-Gardener's post last year of $325,000.

Two questions: Young-Gardener hasn't posted recently....is she still around with her nail gun? And, don't the people of Newnan, Georgia, which I think is about thirty miles outside of Atlanta, have any sense at all? What a gorgeous piece of real estate!