Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I post some eye candy?

Posted by young-gardener (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 18:09

Check out this Swiss cottage built in the late 1800's. It oozes detail, and I just couldn't resist sharing it with you cottage lovers out there.

http://www.glidetour.com/home_tour.php?homeID=5925

Here is a link that might be useful: cottage photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I post some eye candy?

WOWOWOWOWOW I am bookmarking this one. Gorgeous. Every picture is an inspiration. Even yard pictures. It is almost like the person that has this house has been listening to all the dreams of the Small House Board peeps. LOL It has it all. Dang That is so pretty. Thanks for sharing that link.

o

Thanks young-gardener! I saved several pictures. That house is so much like mine and has the front porch done like I have been thinking about.

o

Must....stop....looking....at....other....houses!

Every time I look at a place like that, I want to start all over with my design. I need to learn not to look....

o

Gorgeous! I love those dark floors and the wide central hallway.

o

Glad you liked it! I could play on MLS all day. Another good place to find cottages? At MLS search "Garden Hills" neighborhood of Atlanta.

o

Oh mercy! Did you notice that it is a traditional center hall? With pocket doors to close off both the dining room and the parlor? I wonder if those still work.

But you are right, this is a dream house that someone took a lot of loving care to restore elegantly. Perfect colors, I love the beadboard ceilings too, and the high molding and the KITCHEN!!!!

Young-Gardener, you have really hit pay dirt looking at idea sites. Thank you so much. I copied many of the pics for my computer, since MLS listlings don't stay forever.

o

Hey, ML! I was in it once, and the pocket doors between the living and dining rooms are lovely french style doors when closed. What really struck me is the ornate hinges on all of the doors. You should've seen the "before" kitchen. It has the original drawer cup pulls. THe kitchen was a mess, but the brass pulls were lovely. Glad you enjoyed the photos!

o
re: house

Hey, ML! I was in it once, and the pocket doors between the living and dining rooms are lovely french style doors when closed. What really struck me is the ornate hinges on all of the doors. You should've seen the "before" kitchen. It has the original drawer cup pulls. THe kitchen was a mess, but the brass pulls were lovely. Glad you enjoyed the photos!

o

Oh my, I just want to cry.

That is totally my kind of house. Everything about it, I completely adore!

*right click; save*

Thanks for posting the link! I am going back for a fourth look!

o

*gasp*

beyoooooooond stunning

o

It is gorgeous. I didn't see the square feet in the listing. It looks like a fairly large house. I loved all the white and the built ins. Looks like they did a lot of remodeling.

Sigh. If I could only convince DH to move to GA, LOL!

o

Lots of lovely homes in Georgia and Louisiana. But this particular house has such soul to it,...had to be a labor of love restoring or remodeling it.

Once it sells, the pictures will be gone from MLS, so if you like them, bring 'em on home with you now.

o

isn't that Alan Jackson's (and Denise) home town?

very lovely home - great detail!

o

Wow, what a fantastic cottage. I loved the walls, hardwood floors, all the built-ins, a really nicely restored/kept place.

FlowerLady

o

I love the interiors. But doesn't the gingerbread stuff seem a bit off to anyone else? It seems like it was aded on fairly recently. I would like it much better as a clean vernacular cottage sans all the gingerbread (like the garage).

o

desertsteph- Yep, it's their hometown. "Alan Jackson's Momma's House" (as people say here) is about a mile or so from this one.

jakabedy- The gingerbread is actually original. They did try to tame down some of the fluffy factor when making interior updates though. Maybe that's why it seems off?

Colorcrazy- Yeah, they don't list SqFt in GA, which I find really frustrating. That means you have to pull tax records to find it. This cottage is just about 2500 sqft.

o
RE:house

desertsteph- Yep, it's their hometown. "Alan Jackson's Momma's House" (as people say here) is about a mile or so from this one.

jakabedy- The gingerbread is actually original. They did try to tame down some of the fluffy factor when making interior updates though. Maybe that's why it seems off?

Colorcrazy- Yeah, they don't list SqFt in GA, which I find really frustrating. That means you have to pull tax records to find it. This cottage is just about 2500 sqft.

o

Just a mention that this beautiful restoration is STILL for sale....posted a few days ago on Craigslist for $289,990, down from the listed price in Young-Gardener's post last year of $325,000.

Two questions: Young-Gardener hasn't posted recently....is she still around with her nail gun? And, don't the people of Newnan, Georgia, which I think is about thirty miles outside of Atlanta, have any sense at all? What a gorgeous piece of real estate!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here