Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie81

Certainteed Cedar Impressions Shingles

jamie81
11 years ago

I need some help. Have any of you sided your house with Certainteed Cedar Impressions Shingles? I have seen some old posts of a really nice house where they used the color Natural Clay. We were all set to order, and we got a large sample piece and instead of a greige kind of color, it looks just "tan" Not at all what the pictures look like. We are regrouping, and wondering if anyone has pictures of the Certainteed Granite Gray color. This is such a huge decision and I appreciate any help I can get.

Comments (20)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Can you get a list of homes in your area that used the product?

• msjay2u
    11 years ago

I wish we could click like on certain posts but since we can't...good idea Marti8a

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

back in the 70's our house had cedar shakes on it. the color changed over time to a grey. don't know what brand or where they came from tho.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

My roofer gave me a list of houses he had done and the kind of shingles he used. It was a big help to see them on the roofs. It's very different seeing a big expanse of the color rather than a sample. My shingles are Certainteed Landmark in Colonial Slate.

Have you checked out the Certainteed site? Click on Visualize Your Home.

Here is a link that might be useful: certainteed

• millworkman
    11 years ago

The OP is speaking of VINYL Sidewall shingles

• pamelas_kitchen
    11 years ago

If you check this thread you can see many pictures of houses and get a better idea of what siding colors look like, including mine (towards the bottom) and one other, in natural clay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Siding colors

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Our house is cedar impressions natural clay on 3 sides

We used a matching color but the plain siding in the back to save $$

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Beautiful house Annie!

• jamie81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is beautiful. Is the back the cedar boards siding? The one with the insulation? This is such a tough decision.

• jamie81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What did you use for trim around the windows? Is that vinyl also, or did you use wood trim for the windows? There are so many choices.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Thank you, we are pleased with how our home came out. And it is a smaller home. It's fundamentally a 2 bedroom ranch with a finished walk out basement.

We did not use insulating panels on the back as we built a green home. The living space in the house is sealed in an envelope of closed cell insulation. We also have 5kw of solar panels on the roof, geothermal heating and cooling, and passive solar design with only a few windows on the north side, many windows on the back, southern side. We have quite a few other green elements, but those are the main ones.

This is our retirement home, so we built for low maintenance. All of the trim work is azek. The only wood that will need maintaining on the outside is the beadboard ceiling used in the front entry and the mahogany front door. And we installed a 50 year roof...which keeps shingles out of the landfill longer and it means we won't have to rip off the solar panels and reinstall just to replace the roof.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Your house is gorgeous. It looks enormous, or is there another building or house just on the other side - with an upstairs balcony on the back?

• jamie81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have pretty much decided to go with the granite gray color. All of the trim will be white.

I was wondering if we should use a different color on the gable ends for some contrast.

Annie, your house is so pretty. Is there any color difference between the two types of siding? Sometimes the color in a different material seems a little darker or lighter.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Thanks marti...the main level is 2100 sq ft which is small in our neighborhood....most houses around us our 5000 to 8000 and more.

The main level is the ground level in the front but the 2 nd story in the back as we built into a southern facing slope. The lower level on the back side is a finished walkout basement. The 2nd story on the front where dormers are is all attic space. The glass you see in the back is surrounding a deck that is behind the garage. Keeping the deck away from the basement allows full daylight into the rooms below so they don't feel like basement.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Jamie, the colors are exactly the same, but different faces of the house reflect light differently. If you look at a room inside your house, you'll see that none of the walls appear to be the same odor even though the paint is the same.

• amck2
    11 years ago

We used Certainteed siding on our home. We intend it to be the house we'll retire in and since it's on a lake in New England we went with vinyl for its low maintenance.
    Like Annie, we have a mix of plain and cedar impression shakes. We chose Natural Clay. The shakes & plain siding are a perfect match.

It's seen 4 yrs. of hard winters, harsh winds and hot summers and the materials and colors look like new. It was a tough decision for me to go with vinyl over natural cedar shakes, but now I am so glad we did.

• djdoggone
    11 years ago

Jamie81, I'm wondering how your house turned out. We have a tiny (820 s.f.) cottage that we need to re-side for retirement; because of our age we have elected for low maintenance vinyl and are looking at Certainteed granite gray shingle siding as an option. Are you happy with your choice? Do you have pictures? Thanks, Deb

• jamie81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deb, it's a work in progress. So far so good. The granite gray is a great color. It looks really good with the white trim. Never imagined choosing vinyl, but it looks really nice.

We are only about half finished. I will try to post pictures when we finish.

• JenAJones
    10 years ago

Hi AnnieDeighnaugh! We are in the process of building and have decided to go with Natural Clay for our siding. I was wondering if you could give me any info. on your shingles? Any regrets on your siding or roofing choices? Your home is beautiful!

• agoodrich74
    8 years ago

Jamie81, would you be willing to share a picture of your house in granite gray? That's the color that I'm leaning towards....either that, herringbone or natural clay. If anyone has a picture of their cedar impressions vinyl shingles in those colors would you share? Thanks!

Sponsored