Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthmiamibeach

My teensy kitchen

ruthmiamibeach
15 years ago

I've never posted a photo but I'll try now. This is my almost-finished teensy kitchen -- or kitchenette -- we just finished. It's in a SMALL vacation cottage. Had posted some questions here so thought I'd come back and show. The 20-inch stove is pulled out from wall (to be hooked to gas) and the faceplates and fridge panel aren't done yet, but you get the idea!

{{!gwi}}.

Here is a link that might be useful: My teensy kitchen

Comments (24)

• ruthmiamibeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, that didn't work but at least here is a link to the photo with better resolution.

Here is a link that might be useful: my teensy kitchen with better resolution

• kec01
    15 years ago

That is a very nice....and teensy....kitchen! Job well done!

• neesie
    15 years ago

It's adorable! I have a teeny stove in a teeny kitchen at our lake place. But it's original from at least the 50's! Not nearly as sleek and wonderful as yours. I love it!

• lucy
    15 years ago

Totally cute!

• erin_mama
    15 years ago

I haven't posted here in quite a while, but I wanted to ask you where you got that tiny range? I have a teensy kitchen in my house, and I'd love to find good, smaller scale appliances. The standard ones take over my whole space!

• rivkadr
    15 years ago

It looks like a 24" range -- you can find a bunch of them here .

• ruthmiamibeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha - I WISH it was a 24-inch range! We ran out of wall space so I had to downsize to a 20-inch which took me from a wide choice of nice ranges to two different manufacturers of pretty basic units. So I went for looks. This one is made by Summit Appliances. They have a website and internet appliance companies like ajmadison carry them. For its purpose I think the size will be just fine. I'm really happy with the hood which is made by the same company. It has knobs to vary the exhaust and also to dim halogen lights in the unit.

• emagineer
    15 years ago

What a wonderful little kitchen. It has such class and shows all of us how to live small well. Now I want to see the rest of your house.

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

I love your teensy kitchen. It is sweet and sleek as can be.

FlowerLady

• neesie
    15 years ago

Okay, here it is...my teeny antique stove at our lake cabin. Most everything there was a hand-me-down in the late 50's....{{!gwi}}

• emagineer
    15 years ago

Neesie...so cute and love the floor/wall match.

• southernheart
    15 years ago

I love these kitchens...so attractive and well-planned!

• ruthmiamibeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Neesie, it's great - so mod! I'm sure that little stove has seen a lot of cooking. Is the bottom bit a storage drawer or a broiler? On mine it's a broiler but I would've preferred the storage.

• splinky
    15 years ago

your kitchen is adorable! are the cabinets custom? it looks like it measures only maybe 5 ft wide, yet you seem to have all the important stuff. well done! could you please tell us more about the appliances and cabinets? thanks. i may be working on a 7 ft wide kitchen very soon, myself

• ruthmiamibeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I tried to customize cabinets with a manufacturer but the small size finally blew their minds. It's a little over 5 feet. Luckily our builder had someone and I'm sure I ended up with a better product as a result.

I had to think through where every single item would/could go since it will be a real working kitchen for 2-3 months of the year, not just a breakfast bar. Borrowed the idea of drawers above the counter from an HGTV show. Wanted a plate rack since there is no dishwasher. Have 4 table settings only as there is only a small pedestal dining table. Still need to put in the hooks for coffee mugs that will dangle below the cabinet.

I drew it out on graph paper, clipped some different cabinet styles, and voila! Did pick/buy the sink, appliances, crackle glazed tile, soapstone counter. Counter isn't supposed to wrap all the way around the sink as it's an apron-front farm sink, but I figured what the heck when I saw it.

The sink is 16-1/4" (surprisingly adequate) Whithaus 509UM. Faucet also Whithaus, don't remember which one tho.
    Fridge is 24" U-line 2175RF - has a small freezer dept instead of icemaker.
    Range is 20" Summit TLM130R and 20" Summit hood is UL28SS. (was worried hood would be too big and it seemed expensive for what it was, but love the way it works and looks)

Splinky, my two mistakes were 1) not realizing how much room the exhaust pipe would take from the cabinet above the range hood. That's where pots & pans go and had to whittle down. If the broiler was a storage drawer I would've been fine. I could also hang a couple of pans on the side wall. And 2) Those drawers are a tad high for me - I'm 5'5" and really need a stepstool to be able to see when I'm reaching in to grab silverware or cooking utensils. If you are working with a luxurious 7 feet of space ;-) you should be able to avoid my mistakes.

• ruthmiamibeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is dining area of the "great room" - the same room as the Teensy Kitchen. Not sure it totally qualifies as a smaller home as it is a vacation cottage and doesn't have the storage you need for real living. Though I have quite a bunch of stuff in the flip-down desk, drawers, corner cabinet, etc. already!

The screened porch isn't quite done but you can see thru the glass doors. The glass doors "pocket" into the wall so we can leave them completely open on a nice day.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Teensy Dining area

• ruthmiamibeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's the living room area. Gas fireplace. Horrible TV that my husband and I "discussed" all winter...

Here is a link that might be useful: My teensy living room

• emagineer
    15 years ago

What charming areas you have created. Love the pics and thanks for posting. The colors open up the living room so much and all makes me want to live there.

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Neesie ~ your kitchen is adorable.

ruthmiamibeach ~ I love your dining and living rooms. Your place looks so inviting. You've done a great job.

What is the square footage of your cottage?

FlowerLady

• ruthmiamibeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the compliments, we're very excited about it. Cottage is about 460 square feet, plus 84 for the screened porch. Bedroom, bathroom, "great" room.

• cocooner
    15 years ago

Your entire cottage is absolutely adorable. I love the colors and it looks like it would live well.

Good luck to you with it.

cocooner

• marys1000
    15 years ago

I love your green backsplash - is that tile or glass?

thank you,

• yvonnekate
    15 years ago

LOVE your cottage !! Do you have any other photos ? Would love to see the bathroom and outside !

I am beginning to put together ideas and plans for "my" cottage. A place to call my own..........

• ruthmiamibeach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all. The tile is ceramic, crackle glazed and glossy, so it does have a slightly glassy look. It's from Heath Ceramics. Ann Sacks carries their line. The green (new pices green) on the Heath website looks totally grey on my computer so you really need to see them in person.