Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Tear Down Tools On The Web

User
12 years ago

Reading on Sarah Susanka's website, I found a reference for those who have the wrecking ball visiting their neighborhoods. This link gives communities information about alternatives to tearing down old houses, saving those materials and keeping a neighborhood character with its own identity.

There is a lot going on at Sarah's site. I think she needs to clone herself to keep up with all the activity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Teardown Tools on the Web

Comments (2)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted this for a couple of reasons.
    One, I think that Shades, who is a city clerk and aware of zoning and building codes, would find this a useful reference.

And Scott, if you are reading this, I think in your capacity as a banker, you would find it something useful to give to realtors or builders or those seeking funds to restore or tear down structures, and let you become informed in the process.

The Older Homes forum might like this too, but I feel that more of the posters there are professionally involved in the old house market and may be aware of this resource.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Thanks ML This is interesting. Course every community has their own set of circumstances. Right now Midvale is working on setbacks. Being there are three sets of setbacks for the same zone it turns out rather confusing. Not sure why this was never addressed before. It has been several times but never completed. Probable because of the weird lot sizes.

Being this is a really old town the early houses were very small. They are trying to make it possible to build on these smaller lots. Not many of the older houses remain. There has been several floods. Houses were not built well in the olden days. One is even told to be built around a train car. I do believe this could be true. That house is so far gone the owner needs to tear it down as it is becoming a hazard.

THEN there are considerations on what the public really wants. Here they do not want government in their face. Telling them every move they are allowed to make. I even got a little flack when I sent out tall weed letters recently. That is insane as tall weeds are a fire hazard to the whole town. Not just look unsightly. Being many of the houses are very close together and mostly built of wood this town is a tender box.

I do think things should be preserved when possible. I want to play around more with this link. I just read the front page. For now I have a project my neighbor put me to. LOL She gave me a fun gate leg table. Very primitive.Home made. I have done a little repair on it and washed it all down and for now I will cover it with a cloth until I can get around to painting it. YES white. I like white furniture.But then again maybe the soft green I painted the living room. So as much as I say I did not need a dining room table I now have one. LOL It will seat four easily and I can still keep my little love seat in the dinning room. The table is less than a foot wide when folded in down position. Pictures later.

Sorry for going off topic. I am just so excited about my table.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor