Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is my house style?

Posted by fairymeadows (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 08 at 13:27

I'm completely stumped when what to call the style of my house. It was built in the early sixties and it's just over 1800 square feet including the basement. The exterior walls are stucco and we have a brick wall on the front lower half (it's a planter that hasn't been filled in yet). Please excuse the colors of the house as I'm about to repaint it. Even though you go up a few steps to the front door, it's not exactly a bilevel so what the heck is it?
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/theoldehearth/April08287.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is my house style?

A raised ranch? Tri-level? Is it one floor with a full basement or 2/3 levels?

o

It's one floor with a basement.

o

From the side photo my guess is a raised ranch. Not to be confused with a tri or bi-level, since you have one floor and walk directly into the main level.

o

I can't help, but here is a.....

Here is a link that might be useful: live link

o

Yes, a ranch house, and very pretty too!

o

It's a ranch. I lived in a house like that when I was in high school only the garage wasn't attached.

o

In New England a "raised ranch" is a two story house with entrance midway between the two and stairs to each level. Out west we called it a "split level". This is the only place I've heard the term "raised ranch". Nobody builds them anymore and they are hard to sell.

As pointed out, this house is not a "raised ranch". It is simply a ranch house set up off the ground to take advantage of a basement that otherwise would have been too shallow to use. Attractive house with a lot of possibility!

Dayle Ann

o

We have raised ranch homes aplenty here in Missouri and Kansas. The picture really doesn't look like a raised ranch but it does look like a bi-level. It isn't a split level because there aren't enough levels.

I think the design of the house has more to do with the slope of the land and this worked out as the most functional to build.

When I lived in California I never saw homes like this but, then again, you can't really have a basement due to the threat of earthquakes.

Robyn

o

If it doesn't have any hallways it's a bungalow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here